Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Samsung drive failure

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Well after all these years I may have had a drive failure that screws me over. My samsung 1 TB drive did not show up last time I booted up my computer, it was fine the night before with no issue or SMART errors. I have been busy this weekend so no real time to play around with it, but I figure it may be a logic board failure as the drive didn't make any horrible mechanical noises, and I noticed no slow acesses or or other issues. This was my main backup drive and was only 2 years old so I wasn't worried about it going out and I really need a lot of the data off this drive.

I was hoping maybe someone had the same drive that I could pull the board off of and get my data off, or if anyone had any tricks to try and get my data off the drive. I am going to try and see if I can get the drive to work tomorrow.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Samsung drive failure

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well after all these years I may have had a drive failure that screws me over. My samsung 1 TB drive did not show up last time I booted up my computer, it was fine the night before with no issue or SMART errors. I have been busy this weekend so no real time to play around with it, but I figure it may be a logic board failure as the drive didn't make any horrible mechanical noises, and I noticed no slow acesses or or other issues. This was my main backup drive and was only 2 years old so I wasn't worried about it going out and I really need a lot of the data off this drive.

I was hoping maybe someone had the same drive that I could pull the board off of and get my data off, or if anyone had any tricks to try and get my data off the drive. I am going to try and see if I can get the drive to work tomorrow.

Have you tried most obvious "fixes" first, like re-seating or swapping cables?
Swapping the controllers most likely won't work. You can try to inspect the controller board carefully, there may be a few burned out resistors/capacitors which MAY (depending on your skill) be possible to replace and that MAY fix an issue... Or most likely not. Best bet is to find a good data recovery company and let them handle it.

Oh, and next time use something like RAID1 specifically for backup drives, external or internal - I've learned that long time ago, never lost any data from my external backup drives since then (even after some of them crapping out and dropping out of array).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:56 pm

SMART is not a reliable indicator of impending drive failure. Most of the drives I've had fail did not throw SMART errors first.

You should always have at least 2 copies of any data you wouldn't want to lose...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 pm

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

Seagate 7200.11 used as demo drive...teehee

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm

well that's a downer about the board....was hoping it might work.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Well, if it's a 'backup drive' that means the data exists on another drive right?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 am

nope, it was just used to store stuff. Well I hope I can get it back from the dead and pull some stuff off it.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:31 am

I hate HDDs. And any storage that can catastrophically fail without warning. Where are the next-gen optical discs?

conlusio
Gerbil

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 am

-
Last edited by conlusio on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 am

meerkt wrote:
I hate HDDs. And any storage that can catastrophically fail without warning. Where are the next-gen optical discs?

That is why "Big Data" is trying to sell you on the cloud. Share all your private stuff with the world, in exchange you get massive data redundancy.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 am

Have you tried SeaTools for DOS?
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:11 am

liquidsquid wrote:
meerkt wrote:

That is why "Big Data" is trying to sell you on the cloud. Share all your private stuff with the world, in exchange you get massive data redundancy.

Indeed. And I'm not willing to make that tradeoff yet.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am

It's also not that simple. If your nice 2TB drive crashes, you'll have to download 2TB of data from your provider. And that's going to take a while.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 am

morphine wrote:
It's also not that simple. If your nice 2TB drive crashes, you'll have to download 2TB of data from your provider. And that's going to take a while.

Just one reason (among many) that I'm not willing to go there yet. Even if you've got the raw bandwidth, you'll get screwed by caps. E,g., with the new transfer caps Comcast is rolling out, it'll take you months to get all that data back unless you're willing to pay some hefty data transfer overage charges.

I suppose it's viable if you've got a fast uncapped (i.e. "business class") connection.