Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Problem is, once you get up beyond 32GB you're generally talking enterprise-class hardware and registered DIMMs. Things start to get expensive really fast. :wink:

More expensive, yes but not necessarily equal to the national debt! A number of socket 2011 boards can take 64 GB without registered DIMMs.

Hance wrote:
Zero photo editing for me, I leave that to the wife, she is fairly serious about her photography. Probably the most intense thing I do is edit and render videos. I don't even play games that much anymore.

Then you don't need the stuff I talked about. :)

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:42 pm

We are all going to be in trouble talking about computers in DYMT.

So I like disco, long walks on the beach, holding hands and I am saving myself for that perfect someone :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 am

Hance wrote:

Yeah, I was starting to get that "we're too on-topic here" vibe too! :lol:

I'm currently enjoying a Smoked Vanilla Stout from some Belgian brewery I've never heard of before (Brouwerij De Dochter van de Korenaar), and listening to some Rachel Z. And I have to say, I am immensely enjoying both. A brief but welcome respite from what has been a rough few weeks. My wife was hospitalized with a collapsed lung (she's doing well now and is on the road to recovery), and just to put some icing on the stress level, work has been TFC (Total F**king Chaos).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:14 am

Whats a couple of steps worse than TFC ? Long long story on my side. Cliff notes: business partner unable to work for six months, me doing all the work, zero free time for months, pass me a beer.

BIF

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:30 am

I had pizza with an Amber Bock today; first time for the latter. It was delicious!

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 am

BIF wrote:
I had pizza with an Amber Bock today; first time for the latter. It was delicious!

If you like Amber Bock try George Killians Irish Red its even better. I am on number something for the day.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hance wrote:
Yeah, I was starting to get that "we're too on-topic here" vibe too! :lol:
:oops: Oops! Sorry, folks.

Amber Bock is one of my favorites. I'll throw out a thumbs up for Fat Tire if you like amber ale.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 am

Applied for a job with the local police Sunday. Crossing my fingers.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Applied for a job with the local police Sunday. Crossing my fingers.

Crash test dummy ? :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 am

Hance wrote:

Hmm hmm hmm hmm.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BIF

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Hance wrote:

Hmm hmm hmm hmm.

Better than "Crime Scene Chalk Outline". I hear there's a big problem with people falling down on the job. (badaboom)

BIF

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 am

Hance wrote:
BIF wrote:

If you like Amber Bock try George Killians Irish Red its even better. I am on number something for the day.

LOL, the girl's name was Amber Bock.

Okay, bad joke...

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 am

No, beat cop. :P But there is a tiny part of me that hopes they cover driving techniques for chases. Just cause that seems like it'd be fun to take a class on.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Been using my new Q10 for about two months and I got to say I am a happy camper. It has met my expectations of what I need from a smartphone. I would say the best feature would be the hub. Battery life is only decent, but with a very nifty accessory you can practically have battery life for a whole day with very heavy usage. The multitasking is phenomenal. There are some good apps, but the lack of apps is something that for those that are used to the rich ecosystem of android and apple will not be able to live with the meager breadth and depth of the apps. It is an expensive phone that it is really hard to justify its purchase when with a similar price-point you can virtually buy a kickass android phone, or even the nexus 5 for less than half of it I believe.

Have a sneaking suspicion that the new guys at blackberry are going to give up on their new native platform which I think it would suck because the operating system is way better than android in my opinion. But this is about survival, and maybe they hitching a ride on the android bandwagon might save their necks. Just imagine a Q10 with android native apps running on them?

For now, the Q10 is for a very niche market where the overall trend is for bigger screens, non-serviceable battery, no storage expansion, and no keyboards whatsoever. I wanted a smartphone with a keyboard, solid build quality, replaceable battery and expandable storage, good speakers, and good at multitasking. I plan to use this phone for the foreseeable five years, and I am feeling quite confident that I might get there.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Been drinking lots of apple cider lately. It's crisp and refreshing, very sweet. Doesn't seem possible to get drunk off the stuff. Also not as detailed or intricate tasting as beer.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Been drinking lots of apple cider lately. It's crisp and refreshing, very sweet. Doesn't seem possible to get drunk off the stuff. Also not as detailed or intricate tasting as beer.

Stuff goes right through you, though, and on the sitting end rather than the standing end.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hance wrote:
You guys are a bad influence. Just what am I going to do with 32 gigs of ram :o

Unless you're into messing around with VMs or doing photo editing on huge multi-layer high-res images, 16GB really should be enough. But if your mobo supports 32GB, it will make the system feel a lot smoother by allowing the OS to cache pretty much everything you're using at any given time, and completely eliminating the need for the OS to ever hit the pagefile.

These days I consider 8GB to be bare minimum for a new build, and 16GB to be "sweet spot" in terms of cost/performance.

Hold on. What?!?!? 16GB?!?!?

I'm still holding on to my circa 2007 laptop. I bet SolidWorks runs like a champ with 32GB of memory, and SSD, and whatever other new-fangled things happen.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:11 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hold on. What?!?!? 16GB?!?!?

I'm still holding on to my circa 2007 laptop. I bet SolidWorks runs like a champ with 32GB of memory, and SSD, and whatever other new-fangled things happen.

You know you can never have to much ram. Got it up and running last night but when I looked at my C: drive I knew something wasn't right. It didn't show anywhere near enough free space. I figured out that Windows automatically sets the pagefile to the same size as the amount of ram you have, for some reason I don't see needing a pagefile with 32 gigs of ram :roll:

New Comp by Hance1976, on Flickr

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:12 am

Updates in my life, hmm... Work has exploded, so much to do. Learning and being exposed to a lot of new programming concepts and practices. I got sick (maybe bronchitis?) mid week last week and decided to take it easy because my college buddy's wedding was over the weekend. I'm sure that drinking a lot over the weekend (destination wedding, very beautiful, pic soon maybe?) was not the best thing but It was quite the occasion. You never realize how much you mean to someone until you're asked to be in their wedding and walk with them down a very special moment in their life. Honored and so happy for him and his new wife. His gifts to the groomsmen were as follows:

-Single malt scotch (never had scotch before, that was interesting.)
-Scotch glass
-Pipe
-Tobacco for pipe
-Tamper for pipe
-Pipe cleaners for... you guessed it, the pipe.
-Whiskey stones
-Argyle socks with skulls on them that we all rocked

Despite being sick I've been trying to keep my workout regimen going. I hate feeling sick, frustrating as hell to workout. You feel fatigued before you start, no energy, and hate yourself afterwards... It'll all be worth it, some day. I'll be 30 in February and I promised myself to be the strongest and most aesthetic 'me' that I can be. Gonna be hard with all the damned delicious holiday good. I could easily eat an entire pumpkin roll and gallon of milk a day. Anywho, been drinking mucinex like it's water trying to get rid of this annoying lung dampness.

Nothing else really going on, living humbly, trying to carve out a life and understand what it is to be in control of your own destiny. I am terrible with finances and I fear I'll never 'get ahead' - whatever that means :)

I think I have a legit shot at the TR contest for that hardware; I found myself laughing at my puns quite heavily. There's one in particular that I felt was clever, funny, and might possibly DQ me as a family friendly post. Hopefully all those over the 350 limit are automatically DQ'd :lol: Good luck all!

At the risk of sounding like a weirdo or internet stalker, has anyone see/heard from Annabel? We had kept contact for some time here and there both here on TR and elsewhere, I haven't heard from her in a while and was honestly a little concerned. If you're reading this Bel, where are you!?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:19 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a weirdo or internet stalker, has anyone see/heard from Annabel? We had kept contact for some time here and there both here on TR and elsewhere, I haven't heard from her in a while and was honestly a little concerned. If you're reading this Bel, where are you!?

Bel flits in and out. Last I knew she was a Kiwi and not liking the seismic conditions down there. User DB shows she was last here in late August.

How old are you and this is the first time you've tasted Scotch? What does university teach these days? :x (Asian constipated face chosen for effect)

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 am

Captain Ned wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

Bel flits in and out. Last I knew she was a Kiwi and not liking the seismic conditions down there. User DB shows she was last here in late August.

How old are you and this is the first time you've tasted Scotch? What does university teach these days? :x (Asian constipated face chosen for effect)

That's about the last I heard from her. I was never a liquor guy in college, beers and what not. Any liquor I had was usually straight vodka, or goldschlauger (sp?).

superjawes

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 pm

I didn't try Scotch until I was 24. Then again, I could not stand any whiskey I tried in college. My whiskey tastebud development was sudden and unexpected.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
... Any liquor I had was usually straight vodka, or goldschlauger (sp?).

::shudders::

Whiskey and Scotch are acquired tastes for a lot of people. No shame in not liking them first time you try them.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

DancinJack wrote:
No shame in not liking them first time you try them.

Or the last time. :wink:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm

haha, that too.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

OsakaJ
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

Try a cider with lower sugar content (<12g) and higher alcohol. Ace has a much richer, and more complex flavor than some of those sugary pop ciders. IIRC, Ace has 6.9% alcohol and 9g sugar. Strongbow has a pretty good cidar with about 5% alc. and 10g sugar. Both are a bit sour with serveral bitter flavors mixed in.
Defend your right to arm bears!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:50 pm

YOu can't find anything with more than about 5% ABV here cider wise :( I'd like some good apple cider or pear cider at 12% or so.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:07 pm

DancinJack wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
... Any liquor I had was usually straight vodka, or goldschlauger (sp?).

::shudders::

Whiskey and Scotch are acquired tastes for a lot of people. No shame in not liking them first time you try them.

I wouldn't call my first scotch experience a bad one per say. It tasted like burning, and when I burped it had that magnum black magic-markers smell. Interesting. I would try it again, this time from a glass and not a red party cup.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
YOu can't find anything with more than about 5% ABV here cider wise :( I'd like some good apple cider or pear cider at 12% or so.

Need to make your own, then. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I wouldn't call my first scotch experience a bad one per say. It tasted like burning, and when I burped it had that magnum black magic-markers smell. Interesting. I would try it again, this time from a glass and not a red party cup.

Oh goodness, from a plastic cup? I'm sorry!

Do you happen to know what scotch and year it was?