Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Latest YouTube "improvements"

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm

For those of you unaware - Google has recently made some changes, integrating "Google+" with YouTube more closely and doing other useless stuff which no one asked about and which does not work properly. Anyway, here is a video summarizing the "great improvements":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6Bfnq3aZk
:lol:
Here is another related one, from another user:
http://youtu.be/jQjocZXHOg4

I think Google (just like US government) should've outsourced such task to a more competent foreign (Asian?) company :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

f0d
Gerbil XP

Re: Latest YouTube "improvements"

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 pm

when those "improvements" started it took me an hour how to get my channel and videos back - for some reason it forced me to make another empty channel and my main one got kinda lost

i really hate the new youtube - things seem to be getting overcomplicated more and more nowdays and not just youtube (or maybe in just turning into an old fart)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm

I can't find the link at the moment, but the founder of YouTube posted a comment to his original first video complaining that he had to get a Google+ account to comment.

Do no evil. Funny definition of evil there, Google.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm

I very genuinely hate Google in much the same way I hate Microsoft.

Any software company which thinks they know better than their users what they, the users, want -- well, I have no patience for that kind of blatant jackassery.

Things like their godawful "results for similar searches" and the integration of Google+ into everything they have are the sort of things that drove me to use adblock almost exclusively for google ads, and DuckDuckGo for most of my searching.

Cyco-Dude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27 pm

true enough. i wish google would stop screwing around with youtube. i already have a damn youtube account; i'm tired of being hassled whenever i want to post a comment whether or not i want to use one login name or whatever. **** OFF GOOGLE! STOP SCREWING WITH ****! LOL!!

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Didn't you kind of expect tighter integration with Google+ to come at some point? I expect it to get renamed to videos.google.com or www.google.com/videos at some point.

HorseIicious
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 pm

auxy wrote:
Things like their godawful "results for similar searches" and the integration of Google+ into everything they have are the sort of things that drove me to use adblock almost exclusively for google ads, and DuckDuckGo for most of my searching.

I'm right there with you. Google seems to be intentionally trying to force feed watered down and/or non-intuitive "updates" in almost all of their offerings. I intentionally have had to disable automatic updating on some of my android devices just to ensure the crappier "update" to a Google app wasn't installed (annoying there isn't a 'skip this version' option).

But on the positive side I've been using DuckDuckGo for a little bit now, and I really like it. So that's a plus at least.

Steele
Gerbil

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 pm

I can't even post comments anymore. I get a popup that disappears after a split second and that's it =(
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 pm

auxy wrote:
Any software company which thinks they know better than their users what they, the users, want -- well, I have no patience for that kind of blatant jackassery.

Eh, all of these large companies start doing this thing eventually - be it either Google, Microsoft or Apple. You just have to choose the "lesser evil" for particular type of product and wait for some newer, smaller company to start being relevant to your own unique preferences, or wait for one of these larger companies to start losing money and workforce, re-organize under new CEO and (hopefully) start listening to consumer's requests again :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 pm

When you want to view whose original post someone replied to, instead of showing you that post it just reloads the exact same page. Using the latest version of Chrome on both my desktop on Windows 8.1, my netbook on Windows 7 starter, and my OS X 10.9 machine at work.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Sometimes it takes a paradigm shift to dislodge the incumbent. It isn't so much that someone does "thing X" better; it is that "thing X" becomes less relevant. Microsoft's tech dominance has slipped of late, but it isn't because someone else managed to kick them off their desktop-OS-and-office-suite throne. It is because the world is going mobile, making desktop OSes less relevant than they used to be.

I have no idea who is going to render YouTube irrelevant. If I knew that, I'd be able to retire in a few years. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

axeman wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Sometimes it takes a paradigm shift to dislodge the incumbent. It isn't so much that someone does "thing X" better; it is that "thing X" becomes less relevant. Microsoft's tech dominance has slipped of late, but it isn't because someone else managed to kick them off their desktop-OS-and-office-suite throne. It is because the world is going mobile, making desktop OSes less relevant than they used to be.

I have no idea who is going to render YouTube irrelevant. If I knew that, I'd be able to retire in a few years. :wink:

Someone will have to figure out a monetarily viable replacement to YouTube eventually?? YouTube is nothing but a cash sinkhole. Even Google isn't likely to subsidize it forever with their massive ad revenues, stockholders hate that sort of thing. Although they may be trying to make YouTube profitable...we now get ads of up to 30 seconds that can't be skipped, and with increasing frequency. This is is getting old quick.

Seems like good a place as any...

subbable.com exists. This is a site started by John and Hank Green to try other ways of funding their content, and it has been a big part in them keeping youtube.com/crashcourse up and running as a no-cost educational resource. Basically they have it set up so that you get ad-free videos if you subcribe via payment, and there are rewards similar to how Kickstarter projects reward backers.

So besides that plug, it does point out that media in a general sense is moving away from the TV model (which is basically what Youtube is doing with pre-video ads) and toward a model that works better for the internet. My hope would be that I could eventually order all the content I want on a per-show or per-channel basis. There are some options for that through Amazon or iTunes, but it is far from perfect. If you want a lot of games during your sport's season, your only choice is a fancy cable/satellite package. :-?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:17 am

Ya epic fail. Went to put some cartoons on for my kids and get the old have to log in to watch video. I don't even have a youtube or gmail account.

O well find the videos from somewhere else or just buy them and save my internet bandwidth.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I can't find the link at the moment, but the founder of YouTube posted a comment to his original first video complaining that he had to get a Google+ account to comment.

Do no evil. Funny definition of evil there, Google.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... nt-policy/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Google is doing evil.

They've forgotten the K.I.S.S. principle, I think Auxy coined it quite well:

"Any software company which thinks they know better than their users what they, the users, want -- well, I have no patience for that kind of blatant jackassery."
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Even after submitting to their incessant demands to 'update' my YT profile, I still couldn't post comments.
(Do you have to use Chrome, or ??)

That was the last straw. I nuked my G+ account out of spite.

With comments offline, I'll be visiting YT a lot less as well.

F.U.G.!