Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

How to change HDD/SSD on Playstation 4

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm

This is Gamespot's video:
http://youtu.be/u8_nt2Dwf78
Looks pretty simple. SSD drives do work and it seems like there is a significant speed difference, though they only tried single downloaded game. Not sure if PS4's OS is TRIM-aware, though...

Realistically I'd say something like 750GB WD Black drive is a better option in terms of price and performance for majority of people. Especially considering its 5-year warranty.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: How to change HDD/SSD on Playstation 4

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Which current generation SSDs have firmware garbage collection? Seems those would be most ideal.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 pm

That's awesome, glad someone's confirmed it works. I really can't believe the Xbox One still won't allow users to easily swap out the drive for something larger/faster than the basic disk.

Ryu Connor wrote:
Which current generation SSDs have firmware garbage collection? Seems those would be most ideal.

I'm not aware of a single modern SSD without garbage collection!

I know the Corsair Neutron GTX has a particularly aggressive garbage collection config out of the box, but there was another SSD I can't remember that topped even it in reviews.

Amazing Mr. X
Gerbil

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

Last I checked almost all of them had at least that with only a few exceptions, but that was several months back. Still, I can't help but think that the problem with a console like this is more the size of its storage and less it's speed. Maybe that 1TB SSD might have a home here, but I can't help but want to prefer a 2TB or 3TB HDD for this sort of thing. That way you could just download all the games, movies, music, and whatever else you want without having to manage your memory. These consoles usually don't have great interfaces for managing things anyway. I remember deleting files was a chore on my old Xbox 360, and I used to wish for more space over speed.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Nice. This might actually be a perfect usage scenario for Hybrid drives, like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... PDKIKX0DER

But I think a model with 16GB of nand might be more useful...

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:38 pm

It would be exciting if they allowed multiple sources of storage. I load BF3/BF4 off of a cheap SSD that I threw into a USB3 enclosure when playing on my laptop, and it's still significantly faster than using the internal 750GB WD Black, so I know that the interface can handle gaming just fine.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Consoles seem to be a great candidate for the hybrid SSHDs, especially for gamers who tend to stick to one title for a while until they beat it or get bored.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:01 pm

What file system is the PS4 using? For firmware-level garbage collection to work doesn't it need to be able to understand the file system?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
What file system is the PS4 using? For firmware-level garbage collection to work doesn't it need to be able to understand the file system?

I don't think so? At the most basic level, it just has to wait until the drive has been idle for a while before actually erasing data marked deleted on the block level. That doesn't require knowledge of the file system on top.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 pm

But how does it know if it's marked deleted if it can't read the file system? I might be asking a really basic question that everyone already knows the answer to, maybe I'm just missing it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ection.png

It's not the most efficient option, but it's file system independent.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
But how does it know if it's marked deleted if it can't read the file system? I might be asking a really basic question that everyone already knows the answer to, maybe I'm just missing it.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/ ... sd-primer/
That has more details if you're interested.

In any case, as Ryu noted, it's not very efficient which is why TRIM is preferable (i.e., the filesystem tells the SSD that you can skip the copy because that block can be GC'd as is).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Sony uses a custom version of FreeBSD 9 as an OS, so whatever file system it natively supports (ext4? ZFS? UFS?). Most likely with some encryption.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
But how does it know if it's marked deleted if it can't read the file system?
That's what TRIM does. If your filesystem doesn't send down TRIM commands, then the drive can only do garbage collection on blocks that aren't full. Of which there are more than you think, because the erase block size is not the same as the write block size, and neither may be the same as what the filesystem considers the minimum unit (sector, cluster, whatever). So in cases where a file gets rewritten, what typically happens is that the SSD writes the new file to new (empty) blocks, and then goes back and erases the blocks containing the old version -- and there's usually some empty space ("slack") left over at the end of the file. It may also do some shuffling of blocks for wear-leveling, so that it swaps blocks that were only written once with blocks that have been written multiple times, possibly doing some consolidation of that slack along the way. All of this happens behind the filesystem's back, which thinks everything is still in the same place. Obviously TRIM improves things because it gives the GC more empty or erasable blocks to work with rather than trying to preserve the blocks containing file contents the filesystem knows to be deleted.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks guys, I figured I was just not understanding. Ryu's image (which ChronoReverse's link also uses) and Uber's explanation seem to point in the same directly, and neither of them would lead me ashtray. :p