Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Chess

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Does anybody play chess? I started playing about a year ago. PM me if you want to start a game on chess.com.

Also, the grandmasters in the championship are all so far above me.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Re: Chess

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Rarely do I play online because of people not committing the equal amount of time I commit to the match. I see this very unhelpful trend to memorize openings and win the game by having the best opening knowledge. I have seen first hand in championships victories snatched at the end game because most people are clueless in the endgame.

I learned by watching while I was 9 to 12 years of age. Nowadays, I rarely play anymore. Retired I would say. lol.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 pm

I used to play a fair bit with my father when I was younger. Not so much any more, I'm probably pretty rusty.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:00 am

I played growing up and in Chess Club in high school. Got a rating but it was pretty low. My wife won't play and my kids are too young so I hardly play any longer. Maybe in a few more years I can train the kids to play.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Terrible game. The board is too small and there is nowhere for me to hide.

Now Panzer Blitz ... that's a game.

;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Used to play a lot... 20 years ago. Went to tournaments in LA, won the San Luis Obispo county championship one year, etc. My rating was in the low 2000s, an 'Expert,' and better than 96% of all players. :D

But... as a friend once observed, "Expert is the WORST rating! It means you've worked and studied significantly, but are still an utter patzer when compared to a world class player." He's right, my levels of strategic understanding, planning ability, and tactical awareness are pathetic. In any sort of 'serious' encounter, I would have as much chance of beating the world champion as a rank beginner - ZERO. :(

I still play on occasion, and enjoy reviewing interesting games, sometimes losing myself for several hours at a time. 8)

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Geonerd wrote:
Used to play a lot... 20 years ago. Went to tournaments in LA, won the San Luis Obispo county championship one year, etc. My rating was in the low 2000s, an 'Expert,' and better than 96% of all players. :D

But... as a friend once observed, "Expert is the WORST rating! It means you've worked and studied significantly, but are still an utter patzer when compared to a world class player." He's right, my levels of strategic understanding, planning ability, and tactical awareness are pathetic. In any sort of 'serious' encounter, I would have as much chance of beating the world champion as a rank beginner - ZERO. :(

I still play on occasion, and enjoy reviewing interesting games, sometimes losing myself for several hours at a time. 8)

Yet, I am quite confident that at least you would stand a good chance to get to the endgame. In high-level play, it is very small nuanced little advantages that get turned into victories. I tend to admire that type of style alot, and I tend to emulate it as much as I can. Yet, I get demolished in the endgame against a high-level player, lol. That small advantage, poof! Gone! That is the difference between a high ranking player and an amateur one: endgame.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:48 pm

I know how all the pieces move and I could beat the Atari 2600 on beginner pretty regularly. That's about it. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 pm

uni-mitation wrote:
I see this very unhelpful trend to memorize openings and win the game by having the best opening knowledge.

That's why I never had much interest in competitive chess, I have better things to do than study huge doorstoppers full of board positions and move sequences. I like the idea that some of the pros have thrown around about using random starting positions and/or nonstandard boards, too bad it never caught on.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 am

Chess is more of a mind game than anything else. You have to read your opponent's move several turns ahead, while trapping them into your stratagem without them realizing it until it is too late. Memorizing opening moves is just for knowing what possible options that you have at your disposal.

Chess "AIs" use a brute force approach based on a complicated algorithm.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:07 am

Krogoth wrote:
Chess is more of a mind game than anything else. You have to read your opponent's move several turns ahead, while trapping them into your stratagem without them realizing it until it is too late. Memorizing opening moves is just for knowing what possible options that you have at your disposal.

Chess "AIs" use a brute force approach based on a complicated algorithm.

Agreed, also, i use to play chess regularly like 3 years ago, i haven't been able to dedicate any time after i shifted to new home. I also was regular on chess.com, don't know if my user name and password will work now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 am

Jigar wrote:
Agreed, also, i use to play chess regularly like 3 years ago, i haven't been able to dedicate any time after i shifted to new home. I also was regular on chess.com, don't know if my user name and password will work now.

Just be careful if Sebastian pings you in the early AM with a brilliant move.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.