Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

486 linux

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:32 am

I was just wondering if anyone could point out to a version of linux that I could play with on my 486 (well pentium overdrive @ 83 Mhz) I was hoping for something that would run X albeit slowly. Thanks.
There is no Spune!

prsha
Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:41 am

any distro would work fine i would imagine.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:11 am

One of the reasons why I like Mandrake is because the whole distribution is optimized for a Pentium system. Since your Overdrive CPU is Pentium on the inside, Mandrake will make the best use of what it has to offer.

The key here is to pick and choose to achieve best results. Instead of installing KDE or GNOME, your X Window System should use a lightweight window manager like IceWM-Lite, the X WinCommander file manager and other lightweight tools that come with Mandrake. You'll also want to cut down the number of running services to a bare minimum. If you do that, and have enough RAM, you'll have a slow but usable X setup on that PC.
You are false data.

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:20 am

hmm sounds like a good plan speed I'll see how that goes. I've got a copy of mandrake 7.3 and 8.0 I believe kicking around here. I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for your help everyone. Oh and if anyone else has advice I'll be sure to listen. Thanks
There is no Spune!

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:43 am

Good luck! Let me know if you run into any difficulty. I'm always glad to help.
You are false data.