Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Huge Nvidia issue that needs attention(bigger than FCAT)

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:06 am

I just did a custom resolution, and that seems to have fixed it. less hassle than registry editing.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:15 am

BlackDove wrote:
It's not bad EDID either. There are so many monitors being produced that they don't need to add the EDID info of every one. They need to make an option so people can set their color space manually, like the Linux drivers and AMD drivers allow.

Ryu Connor's point is that it IS bad EDID, and totally not Nvidia's fault. The EDID info is not in the Nvidia driver, but in the monitor itself. All your computer is doing is reading the EDID info from your monitor, and presenting it with the color space it asks for. It's up to the monitor manufacturer to make sure that their monitors report themselves properly as being full gamut when connected to a computer.

OTOH, I also agree with you that Nvidia really ought to take the high road on this one and just expose the option to toggle full range. It requires minimal effort, and makes them look good (literally and figuratively).

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:28 am

Hmm, if only there were a cable interface standard for PCs that avoided all these issues...

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 am

I do not know if this was posted yet but if you do not feel like messing with the registry to enable full RGB over HDMI yo can use this handy tool I found on the Nvidia forums. Its quick and painless. Open NV_RGBFullRangeToggle program with win rar or something then just select 0-255 and then reboot. to go back to the original settings do the same thing with the program if you want to go back to 15-235 and reboot and your back to where you were. Link is below and is in the top Post.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... or-format/
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

BlackDove
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
I just did a custom resolution, and that seems to have fixed it. less hassle than registry editing.

I did that for testing purposes, however, attempting to run games at 1920x1080 at 59Hz didn't work, and it kept reverting to the 16-235 color space.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:29 am

Geez, the Nvidia defense squad is on red alert.

It is over a silly option that Nvidia simply neglecting to include in their control panel/front-end. :roll:
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Gobhoblin
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I just set up a system with three displays, and I just ran into this issue. However, for me, the issue is that one of my two identical monitors (2 x Eizo EV2336) are getting REC 709 over DisplayPort. I have two separate computers using these three monitors in different ways, and the custom resolution "fix" doesn't work with cloned displays, so it isn't a fix at all, for me, really.

This whole thing make me wonder if nVIDIA have gone completely bonkers. Feeding REC 709 to computer displays? Absolute madness.

I work in the TV business, and I've done my share of setting up monitoring systems and editing suites, and never in my life would I have thought anyone could be quite so deranged as to force a specific esoteric (to the PC platform) colour space onto equipment by default, and not even include any settings for it.

The EDID argument simply doesn't work because nVIDIA knows that they can't trust EDID, and that an option to manually force colour space is therefore needed. The argument that HDMI is mostly used for TVs, so one shouldn't complain, is absolutely ludicrous. HDMI can be used for all sorts of things, and transporting identical data streams to DVI data streams is one of them. nVIDIA is not to decide what people use HDMI for. If I want to use it for a computer monitor, I will.

In my case, it's happening with DisplayPort, which is standard on pretty much any display right now, regardless of what kind of colour space it is made for. It makes me livid that there are people at nVIDIA wilfully ignoring this issue at this very moment, when thousands upon thousands of customers are affected.

nVIDIA needs to fix this right now, as the state of things at the moment is completely unacceptable. Their graphics cards are outputting erroneous data, and it's not even a bug, all of them are doing it as a rule, because nVIDIA makes them do it.

Driver feedback survey link here, to tell nVIDIA to fix this:
http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi= ... 94a40f8ac6