Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Time

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:09 am

Hypothesis: The subjective speed at which time passes is measured against how long you've been alive. In other words, when you're 25 years old, a year feels like how 2-1/2 months felt when you were 5. And when you're 50, time feels like it passes 2x as fast as when you were 25.

Discuss.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

muontrack
Gerbil

Re: Time

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 am

What about women? How do they factor into this time ordeal? Surely it's not as simple as you describe???

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 am

When you're doing the same thing every day, your memory edits the boring parts down to a summary. When you're having lots of new experiences, you may choose to remember more details.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 am

muontrack wrote:
What about women? How do they factor into this time ordeal? Surely it's not as simple as you describe???

Eh... what? Are you saying that women experience time differently than men, or that women change the way men perceive time? Please explain what you're getting at here.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
When you're doing the same thing every day, your memory edits the boring parts down to a summary. When you're having lots of new experiences, you may choose to remember more details.

There may be something to that.

So... is the perception of the passage of time tied to the number of new experiences an individual has? Can we (from our own internal perspective, but not in real time) make ourselves live longer, by having new experiences?

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hypothesis: The subjective speed at which time passes is measured against how long you've been alive. In other words, when you're 25 years old, a year feels like how 2-1/2 months felt when you were 5. And when you're 50, time feels like it passes 2x as fast as when you were 25.

Discuss.

It makes perfect sense.

When you are 5, a year is 20% of your lifespan.
When you are 15, a year is 6% of your lifespan.
When you are 25, a year is only 4% of your lifespan.
When you are 75, a year is only 1.3% of your lifespan.

The difference is most marked in the early years due to how percentages work. Maybe that's also why we don't let 5 year olds drink or drive cars. Or get married.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:17 am

BIF wrote:
Maybe that's also why we don't let 5 year olds drink or drive cars. Or get married.

I think you're conflating a couple of (or more?) disconnected concepts here. Or did you really intend to tie together responsibility/maturity and the speed at which we perceive time to pass?

trackerben

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:46 am

We're subject to entropic processes, including our senses and "body clocks". Sensor/pathway decay could be affecting how we experience/memorize things as we grow older, as much as any developmental changes in our awake dwell time. I'm just speculating, the conscious mind is little understood.

Kougar

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:41 am

just brew it! wrote:

Discuss.

As a kid I was often stranded some place my mother dragged me to and was bored with absolutely nothing to do. As an adult there's always things needing to be done, things I want to do, and plenty of more things I CAN do if I ever reach the point of boredom. It helps that adults usually have access to more tools to stay busy or entertained than kids do.

Of course,maybe there's a scientific explanation. Satellites in earth orbit record time passing something around 7,200 nanoseconds slower per day than the same clock on earth. Maybe the older people get, the more they are in tune with their general relativity theory :D

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:33 am

I don't think there's really a difference as to how younger people perceive time compared to older people. It's just that as older people, we usually remember our childhood years fondly perhaps and the fond memories add to a sense of our childhood years being timeless.

Being a child and the innocence it entails is something I miss. Sure, there are things you can't do as a child that we can do now, but i would gladly trade those for having no problems.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

muontrack
Gerbil

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
muontrack wrote:

Eh... what? Are you saying that women experience time differently than men, or that women change the way men perceive time? Please explain what you're getting at here.

The latter. Though, after waking up and thinking about it more clearly, I think it depends on what the person's priorities are in a given moment. So maybe it's not so much to do with age/what you're doing, but it's the amount of focus you have while doing it?

Another thing: perhaps routines don't help with this "passing of time" phenomenon. If I can be permitted to generalize a bit, I would say that when we're younger, we probably don't have as many routines and so our days are more unpredictable (consequently "longer") and we remember how long it felt struggling through something or even how much fun we had learning/exploring/adventuring.

That being said, I could also make the case that getting stuck in a routine can make you really bored and depressed... in which case, the days probably feel like eternity. Which makes me recall how fast it felt going through carefree summer days when I was younger.

Alright JBI, here's the rundown: I have no idea anymore hahaha.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:14 pm

It's baloney, or perhaps some other prepared meat. I'm 67, the years go by about the same speed they always have.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

BIF

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
BIF wrote:
Maybe that's also why we don't let 5 year olds drink or drive cars. Or get married.

I think you're conflating a couple of (or more?) disconnected concepts here. Or did you really intend to tie together responsibility/maturity and the speed at which we perceive time to pass?

I was trying to make a joke, and in my defense at least I didn't confuse the matter by way of some vaguely nefarious reference to women. Truth be told, I didn't want to be that guy who started talking about entropic processes either. Not when we all should have been enjoying a damned beer anyway. It's STILL the weekend here and I'm resisting Monday for as long as possible. Entropically speaking! :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 am

My favorite saying for those with small children is "The days are long, but the years are short." My second son just turned one. They change fast at this age...and I'm sure I'll be looking back fondly on these years when they are teenagers.

I agree with the general response to this thread that time does pass faster as you get older. Just not when the kids are pooping their pants, climbing in the sink, and writing on the walls.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 am

Time seems to slow down when you're anticipating or looking forward to something. It seems to pick up substantially when you're trying to meet a deadline. Life - especially your work life - is full of deadlines. If you're trying to make your life feel longer, wait for something. Anticipate the impossible.

I have no science behind that, just seems to be how it feels to me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:30 pm

I believe time depends on your size, heartbeat, and metabolism.

A short while ago it has been proven that insects actually do sense everything in "slow motion" compared to humans. And small dogs can feel like everything takes up to twice as long as it's felt by a human. And large animals, such as elephants or whales, have as few as ten times less heartbeats per minute (and slower reaction times) than humans.

It's all a matter of how fast you burn. The faster you burn, the more "time" you will process per second.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Meadows wrote:
I believe time depends on your size, heartbeat, and metabolism.

A short while ago it has been proven that insects actually do sense everything in "slow motion" compared to humans. And small dogs can feel like everything takes up to twice as long as it's felt by a human. And large animals, such as elephants or whales, have as few as ten times less heartbeats per minute (and slower reaction times) than humans.

It's all a matter of how fast you burn. The faster you burn, the more "time" you will process per second.

That explains a lot about me, then! :3

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:03 am

Time is all relative anyway. :P

The perception of time is primarily affected by your brain. That's why chemical alternating substances, sleep and other mental ailments related to physical brain trauma "distort" the flow of the time.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

(Spoiler Alert!) I recall an episode of Star Trek (original series) where beings in the 'normal' time frame heard buzzing sounds that turned out to be caused by beings in a far faster time frame to whom the beings in the 'normal' time frame appeared to be nearly frozen. The usual characters get trapped in, and eventually escape from, the wrong time frame.

As time passes, I feel like the world is getting pulled into that faster time frame. Radio stations are already playing non-stop Christmas music, but it feels like Christmas was just last week. Even the rate at which dust accumulates inside my 'puters seems to be increasing.

I think the first time I noticed this effect was in grade school when summer vacations from school started to feel short.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 am

Krogoth wrote:

The perception of time is primarily affected by your brain. That's why chemical alternating substances, sleep and other mental ailments related to physical brain trauma "distort" the flow of the time.

So aging is a mental ailment...

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 am

Pink Floyd wrote:
[...]
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run and you run
To catch up with the sun
But it's sinking

Racing around
To come up behind you again [...]
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Very probably. I get my back in to my living, Pete Townsend, and have for a long time. I lift weights 4 times a week and climb the local mountains a lot. I am rather fit. My confreres in my age group, I'm 67, are drinking themselves to death or working hard on their heart attacks.

Time goes by like it always did. It's winter so the days are short and I have to get out the door earlier to get up the hill but I use up every day.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 pm

morphine wrote:
Pink Floyd wrote:
[...]
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run and you run
To catch up with the sun
But it's sinking

Racing around
To come up behind you again [...]

That's still the most depressing song I ever heard...

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Your brain starts to fail after a while. That's why dementia and similar conditions correlate with advanced age. The human body isn't designed or meant to last forever. It is inherently unstable. That's why life procreates/replicates itself to combat this.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

trackerben

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Krogoth wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Your brain starts to fail after a while. That's why dementia and similar conditions correlate with advanced age. The human body isn't designed or meant to last forever. It is inherently unstable. That's why life procreates/replicates itself to combat this.

From birth we race to our ends. Entropy rules. We are each a uniquely growthful sapience in an expiring world.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:

Discuss.

This was on the discovery channel about 5 years ago. An engineer actually came up with an equation or something to show how we perceive the passage of time as we age. In a nutshell, it seems to go by faster (almost exponentially) the older we get.

Wish I could find a link or something.

edit - spelling/grammar
Last edited by anotherengineer on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I've always maintained that you reach adulthood when you start thinking of time in terms of paychecks instead of months.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm

As an adult I look forward to time I'm not sleeping or working or commuting. 8 hrs sleeping, 2 hrs commuting, 9 hrs at work...when is retirement coming? When work days are pretty similar, time blurs together.

Just 7608 more days :P

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Perhaps its easier to "live in the moment" when we're younger.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
As an adult I look forward to time I'm not sleeping or working or commuting. 8 hrs sleeping, 2 hrs commuting, 9 hrs at work...when is retirement coming? When work days are pretty similar, time blurs together.

Just 7608 more days :P

I trim about an hour off the sleep, and because I telecommute there's no commute time, but damn if I don't waste that 3 hours doing stupid stuff instead of becoming awesome.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen