Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

PS4 finally arrives

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:08 am

Sooo... I finally got mine today. Set it up, played few games, tried few features... Since a lot of people today are really stressing Sony's network, there were some issues - such as random messages about "playstation network is inaccessible due to maintenance", problems with the latest system update (I could not download it directly from PS4, had to download it on my PC and put it on FAT32-formatted USB flash drive, which worked perfectly), game downloads being slow, etc. Good thing is once you're done with all downloads - everything seems to be working properly, I could play all the games, both offline and online. Friends list also seems to be working. The PS4 itself seems to run relatively quiet even when playing games like Killzone (which is the most graphically-intensive game for it right now) - you can definitely hear the fan spinning up but it's more quiet than, for example, the XBox360's fans.

Only major issue there is - a problem with HDCP, causing conflicts with some (very small minority) people's TVs and making streaming games very hard (your only choice is to bypass HDCP with certain splitters or use the very poor built-in streaming app), but Sony already promised to resolve this with future patch.

P.S: Also, if you've ordered "bundles" from Amazon - the special codes for DLC's and 1-year PS+ subscription will not be included in the box, they will be sent through e-mail from Amazon. You will also have a special booklet from Sony inside each package with 3 codes for free trial of PS+, free trial for Sony's music service and $10 to spend in Playstation's digital store, so don't instantly throw all paper stuff away when you unbox it!
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: PS4 finally arrives

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 am

I'm still waiting for the comparisons between the two as 'media centers', though Microsoft's insistence that you pay for Live! is a pretty clear endorsement of Sony :).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:23 am

PS4 is a gaming console, not a "media center" :wink: It can do some streaming from services like Netflix or Amazon Prime (without forcing you to pay for PS+) but can't really stream pirated music and videos (or illegal DVD/BluRay "backups") from PC's :P Although it can always change - you never know what direction the Sony might choose in this regard... Maybe they'll even team up with Apple/Google and put iTunes/Google Play support in :o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:11 am

B.t.w, this is also why you should probably order a larger HDD together with your PS4 ( this is not my screenshot):
http://i.imgur.com/Io4RTSp.jpg
This is after installing every currently available game (paid or free) and after all updates to them. Of course, you can always delete stuff that you do not need.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:17 am

Airmantharp wrote:
I'm still waiting for the comparisons between the two as 'media centers', though Microsoft's insistence that you pay for Live! is a pretty clear endorsement of Sony :).

If you want a media anything, just break down and buy a bluetooth HDPC. The advantages between a PC and a console are like the advantages between a car and a bycicle.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:45 pm

...in other news - some of the defective PS4's might have been sabotaged by workers who assembled them :o
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/foxco ... 453522435/
The second post is particularly interesting. Also the post #19.

Disgruntled workers? Racial issues? Or MS agents bribing some of them? Conspiracies everywhere! :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:37 am

Ahh, the plot sickens...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I got one of the PS4s with the no video/"blue light" issue. Powered on at first but the video feed stopped working shortly after I entered my WIFI password in initial config. Simple power cycling didn't seem to help so I yanked the power cable for a minute and it came back long enough for me to download the 1.5 update. After the self restart, no more video for the most part but it would occasionally start in recovery mode (with video) to check the disk for consistency and attempt to restart... at which it would go back to pulsing blue light with no video. I did notice one time that it prompted me to insert a recovery USB image and when I moved to do so, I brushed the HDMI cable and it immediatly corrupted the image and powered off. Looks like my issue is HDMI related. I should also mention that even when it was "working" and in the OS, I had no sound - a friend tells me that there should be some sort of background music on the home screen.

There's a Sony retail store a few miles down the freeway from my office so I'll be bringing it there tomorrow and see if they can fix it (doubtful, but its worth a short), exchange it, or just get the RMA process started.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I doubt that retail store will do anything useful. Just contact Sony directly, they can do exchange in as little as few days:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1q ... onsole_on/

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks John, but that post looks like he was referring to one of the pre-launch Taco Bell units that was sent in before Friday. Other posts further down sound like it can take 16-25 business days and with potentially a few thousand units going back in the same manner as mine would be, I'm inclined to believe the longer timeline. I'll try the retail store first - if they can fix it right there and then (again, a long shot) then I'm good to go tomorrow evening. Otherwise, I can stand to wait an extra day compared to the full 16025 day period. My final alternative is to try to find a new one retail and just return the one I have now to Amazon (currently out of stock so no exchanges, refund only) and I can afford it... for now, but I don't really care to be in the hole an extra $400 for a week or two just because I got impatient.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, good luck with your unit. B.t.w, did you try checking for stuff like bent pins inside the HDMI connector or make sure that the HDD in your unit is seated properly?

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:52 pm

JohnC wrote:
Well, good luck with your unit. B.t.w, did you try checking for stuff like bent pins inside the HDMI connector or make sure that the HDD in your unit is seated properly?
Thanks. I read the Kotaku article at work on Friday before I got my unit so the HDMI port was the first thing I checked... no dice. Would have been nice if it was, though :lol: . I also reseated the HDD a couple times and the file system check (apparently) passed but it once it tries to reboot it goes back to blank screen.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 am

B.t.w, I do not have the PS4 camera but in case if you wanna see the PS4's little demo "game" that demonstrates some of the camera's possibilities - here's is a funny demonstration:
http://www.twitch.tv/towelliee/c/3260324
You need a Flash-enabled browser to watch this replay. Warning: it includes "Golden Shower" scene. But not really obscene (or "NSFW") :wink: Just watch it all.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 am

They exchanged it for a new one. They set aside a few for exchanges that they were able to verify in-store was the blue light issue. Apparently about half of the people that came in could not reproduce when they were present in the store but were promised that if it happened again, they would get an exchange (if they had any left in stock or the usual RMA). By reproduce, I mean they powered it on and played games for 15-20 minutes before saying they can't do anything immediately since they did not observe the failure but acknowledged that it was still possible when the customer returned home since it was a relatively short test period. "Lucky" for me, my unit was pretty much dead so they gave me one immediately. They even powered the replacement unit up and let it update to make sure I was leaving with a functional unit.

They did make it clear, however, that the exchanges were a special thing they were doing for failed launch units and that I shouldn't expect future issues to be such a quick to swap.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:52 am

That is awesome, enjoy your console! Jus FYI, if your're planning on buying any games - try to buy them in downloadable format, directly from Playstation store (unless there's some kind of crazy deal going, like Amazon's "buy 2, get 1 free games", which is already over). Swapping disks is so 90's and is kind of annoying :-? Also, if you haven't installed many things on it yet - I would get a larger HDD right away. Something like 750GB WD Black should provide a nice bump in storage capacity and speed.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 am

Remember that you have to get 2.5" HDDs if you want to swap the HDD in the PS4.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Still waiting for that killer app for the PS4. Definitely going to get one in the spring because it's been announced - MLB The Show 14. :p

Does this thing play Vita or PSP games? To me it seems like a good idea to me, though I guess Sony wants people buying $60 PS4 games and not $40 Vita games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Still waiting for that killer app for the PS4. Definitely going to get one in the spring because it's been announced - MLB The Show 14. :p

Does this thing play Vita or PSP games? To me it seems like a good idea to me, though I guess Sony wants people buying $60 PS4 games and not $40 Vita games.

Same here- that, and a comparison of the 'services' that each new console offers. Particularly, if MS were to offer discounted streaming options, say for stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, NFL, etc., that might actually make it the console to get. And doesn't the Xbox One also support 4k output?

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I got one of the "bad hdmi/flashing blue light" units. After fiddling with it few a bit, I realized I wouldn't feel comfortable using the system even if I got it to work, so I waited on the phone for 2 hours. The Sony rep was very friendly, but I'm pretty sure she was 80 year old grandmother who didn't actually know what a Playstation was.

I got my return box yesterday and mailed out the system today. Here's hoping it doesn't take the estimated 3-5 weeks to get back to me. Also, hopefully my Xbox will be in working order on Friday.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:05 am

I also got a "blue light" unit, except I'm in Tokyo which made exchanging more difficult. Sony would not replace the console unless it was shipped from a North American address. I couldn't even ship the unit directly to Sony.

Anyway, after I was unable to resolve the problem with Sony, Amazon came through and is sending me a replacement console (in the mail now) though the expected delivery date is two weeks from now.

David wrote:
Here's hoping it doesn't take the estimated 3-5 weeks to get back to me. Also, hopefully my Xbox will be in working order on Friday.

The rep I talked to did say, however, that Sony was replacing broken PS4s with new units and that shipping was overnight both ways. Hopefully yours will be back soon.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 am

Yes, replacement will be done very fast:
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arc ... ign=Buffer

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am

JohnC wrote:
...in other news - some of the defective PS4's might have been sabotaged by workers who assembled them :o
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/foxco ... 453522435/
The second post is particularly interesting. Also the post #19.

Disgruntled workers? Racial issues? Or MS agents bribing some of them? Conspiracies everywhere! :o

It's a long known fact that disgruntled workers and quality/quality control don't go hand in hand.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 pm

kumori wrote:
Amazon
I don't think I mentioned it in my previous post but the Sony Store employees mentioned that all but one of the defective units that were brought into the store were bought from Amazon. It was to the point that they straight up asked me "Amazon?" when I mentioned that I had the issue. Also, based on what I saw and overheard, they must have processed a few dozen defective units at the store I was at.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Well there is this....
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33953/the ... index.html

On a 100% different note, when I came home from Gamestop on launch day, I took the whole thing apart, re-pasted the CPU with AS5, then installed a 750GB Black HDD. No problems so far at all! :D As normal, the APU had enough paste on it to cover 5 regular CPUs. Just messy. Remember Sony, too much can actually cause heat issues.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Amazon's packaging was pretty poor, with lots of free space between the "outer" box and PS4's factory box so perhaps some units got some internal damage during shipment... That said my Amazon's unit works perfectly - we have good UPS delivery drivers and workers at local hub who do not generally hate their job and all the people around them :wink:

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Mine arrived in an Amazon box with no slack at all in it.

I installed a Seagate 1TB SSHD in it and happy to say it worked fine out of the box.

ClickClick5, was it zinc oxide paste (white paste)? I'm not sure I want to reapply the paste right now, but if it's zinc oxide it'll be worth replacing in about two years due to dry out.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Mine arrived in an Amazon box with no slack at all in it.

I installed a Seagate 1TB SSHD in it and happy to say it worked fine out of the box.

ClickClick5, was it zinc oxide paste (white paste)? I'm not sure I want to reapply the paste right now, but if it's zinc oxide it'll be worth replacing in about two years due to dry out.

Looked (and felt) like the paste used in the PS3. The not fully grey, off-grey color.

EDIT: Looks like this: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... m-PS3-Pics
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:50 pm

JohnC wrote:
Amazon's packaging was pretty poor

My packaging wasn't great either. It was just the PS4 box at the bottom of the shipping box with a bunch of plastic air bags thrown on top. If somebody told me that poor packaging was the cause of my issue, I would have no problem believing them. In fact... I am going to go to Amazon and rate the quality of the packaging right now.

edit: my PS4 shipment wasn't available for packaging feedback.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yes, replacement will be done very fast:
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arc ... ign=Buffer

Awesome. This is what I hoped a venerable electronics company to do, but I didn't expect it.

On a related note, I think the support person got my e-mail address wrong, because I haven't received anything. However, I do know they got my system thanks to the FedEx tracking.

Mine was from Amazon.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:15 pm

So I got a PS4 last week. Add me if you wanna play. :D

PSN: ssidbroadcast
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro