Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

New R9 290 card. Experiencing frequent BSODs

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi guys,

So I bought a new XFX R9 290 Core edition card for my home-office workstation. Installed it into my system and it refuses to be stable for more than 5 minutes after boot. The BSOD error messages are not the same ones each time. Each time it is a different exception message.

My workstation configuration:

2x Xeon Sandy Bridge-E 2630 ( 16 cores @ 2.3Ghz )
8x 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
2x Sandisk extreme 240 GB SSDs
2x Samsung 840 (not pro) 250 GB SSDs
Seasonic X650 Gold 650W PSU

My first suspicion is that the PSU is not giving the system enough juice to run the graphics card. However, looking at the TR review of the 290, the entire system power consumption is at 350 W on load. So 300W to account for the extra processor and the DIMMs seems reasonable.

Here is a list of spares I have that I know are working 100%:

Nvidia GT9600 GPU
Corsair CX 430 W PSU
2x4 GB DDR 3 1600Mhz DIMMs

I would be very grateful for any help!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

clone
Gerbil Elite

Re: New R9 290 card. Experiencing frequent BSODs

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Your power supply should be perfectly adequate (unless it is defective). "Random BSOD's" are one of the known issues with 29x cards (the other known issue being a "black screen" or no video signal), and it was supposedly fixed for some people with latest beta drivers, so make sure you have the latest version:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... -beta.aspx
Also, make sure you have completely uninstalled the drivers from your previous card - there is a good guide in this thread (second post) for that:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/offi ... wners-club
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Before I did anything I would use driver sweeper and clear out all the old AMD's stuff and install a fresh install of the latest driver. If that still doesn't work you could use that second CX 430 power supply that has a 32 amp 12v with one eight pin PCI express power connector and I'm sure you have a moles to six pin PCI express power connector. Then you could jump the CX 430 power supply the same time you power your system up with your current power supply and have the CX 430 dedicated to just the 290 card. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Okay I started off with a BIOS Flash. Now my mobo doesn't recognize the second proc and half the ram :(

I am gonna first revert the bios update and see if that second proc comes online. If it doesn't, I might have just lost some very expensive hardware over a $400 graphics card.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Well, flashing the BIOS on a perfectly-working mobo is usually not a great idea :wink: You should be able to easily flash it to previous BIOS version, though. Perhaps try to do it with a different video card (the one that is already working properly) and do all the flashing not from OS but from the BIOS itself.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah the BIOS flash was a bad idea. Trying to re-flash to the original version, I am unable to get past the "Outdated Image" error. The motherboard is an ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS.

I called up ASUS tech support. The first guy I spoke to didn't give a damn about being helpful. I tried explaining to him that there is >$2000 worth of hardware on the line here. He flat-out told me to buy a new board, since that would cost only $600. All I wanted from him was the command line switches or whatnot to force the downgrade. I was surprised when he said this was impossible. He even invented some nonsense reason about L1/L2 caches (whut?) to explain why this was impossible. When I called him out on it and he started claiming that I was insulting his technical knowledge. Damn right I was. When I asked for an RMA, he said he would transfer me and then hung up.

The second guy I spoke to said I could downgrade a few versions, but not to the version I know was working well. He too didn't know why I couldn't but he was honest about it and mentioned that it could be due to security(from malware) reasons. So I tried doing what he recommended. Unfortunately, no dice. The board won't recognize the second processor or its DIMMs or its PCI-E cards. Apparently my only alternative is to buy a ROM chip from a repair shop - since ASUS doesn't sell the specific one for my mobo anymore.

What a terrible day. I guess I have only myself to blame for pissing away money on expensive, non-standard hardware. :(

Also, ASUS tech support: 2/10 Piss Poor.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Man I am so sorry to hear that....I have heard that ASUS support stinks before. I will never buy a asus motherboard.

Wonder if ASrock makes a motherboard for your dual CPUs...they have come a long way.
Here is a comparison of the 2 asrock boards i could find one is 450$ the other is $509 not sure what the difference is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productco ... 4%24%24%24

Super Micro I am sure has better customer support since server/workstations are there bread and butter. Amazon has 3 in stock for like $466 http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-MBD-X9 ... B00E0P2X9M

Good lucl!
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm

"I might have just lost some very expensive hardware over a $400 graphics card"

Did that R9 whisper to you "Update the MB bios... do it... come one.. do it for me" ?

BTW, You might need to 'walk back' the bios. So you might have to flash it a few time with ever older version.

But maybe investigate why you now have one CPU online VS two... could the new bios offer option to enable/disable the second CPU ?

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:10 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Man I am so sorry to hear that....I have heard that ASUS support stinks before. I will never buy a asus motherboard.

Good lucl!

Thanks for the board recommendations, vargis14. I will look into those. But most likely, I will forfeit this build entirely and go for a cheap OC-able Broadwell chip + 9 series mobo whenever those come out. The Sandy Bridge Xeons are pretty old now. I am not so sure that 16 Sandy Bridge cores at 2.3Ghz can beat a Broadwell quad @ 4.5 ghz.

sschaem wrote:
"I might have just lost some very expensive hardware over a $400 graphics card"

Did that R9 whisper to you "Update the MB bios... do it... come one.. do it for me" ?

The first reply I received advised me to flash the BIOS. It is not an unreasonable suggestion on its own. So I gave it a try.

sschaem wrote:
BTW, You might need to 'walk back' the bios. So you might have to flash it a few time with ever older version.

But maybe investigate why you now have one CPU online VS two... could the new bios offer option to enable/disable the second CPU ?

Yeah I tried walking back the BIOS one revision at a time. But this stopped working after I hit a certain version. The board wouldn't let me flash over the next older version. The technician did say that at this point, I need a new ROM chip. I've ordered a replacement ROM chip on ebay. I'll wait for that to arrive.

As for the CPUs, the system won't POST with the second proc in there. I am not sure about the second processor enable option. But checking the manual, there isn't one in the BIOS or as a Hardware switch.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 pm

You may be able to fix it using FTK.

Link

Flashing a BIOS will sometimes fix a problem, but it should always be after you've determined the hardware isn't broken. BIOS updates with defective hardware will only end in sorrow.

If you can, before using FTK, make sure you have a known good stick of RAM in the box.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Legend
Gerbil

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 am

I was experiencing frequent BSODs with the release 9.0 beta driver on my X58 platform and that version of card from Sapphire. The 9.4 beta release seems to have solved that issue. Not a moment too soon either. I was seriously contemplating returning it for refund.
I don't always engage in cloud seeding. But when I do, I raise no issue with the forecast.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 am

Step 1. Check GPU drivers
Step 2. Check power plugs / seating of GPU
Step 3. Check RAM seating / remove all RAM sticks and leave 1 in at a time to isolate if one/two are bad
Step 4. Check temperatures / fans to remove overheating culprit
etc.

Step 99. BIOS flash. (usually goes up the hierarchy if there is a SPECIFIC BIOS update for your specific hardware case mentioned on the motherboard vendor's BIOS update notes / forum etc. otherwise stays as a last resort.

I would gather the not recognising the second CPU etc. is because back when you originally setup the system BIOS settings from scratch you would have done it on a clean install etc. and gone through the BIOS settings in a 5-15 minute setting adjusting things to be right for your setup before proceeding to install the OS, and some of these settings have been changed by the BIOS flash causing the changes in system recognising what it is.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

clone
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
neg

Adaptive
Gerbil

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 am

2x Xeon Sandy Bridge-E 2630 ( 16 cores @ 2.3Ghz )

Don't you mean 12 cores?

Also I'm sure you've already tried, but perhaps the new BIOS has some settings that need adjusting for the multi-CPU setup? I'm assuming you've applied the defaults, etc.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:43 am

sid1089 wrote:
The first reply I received advised me to flash the BIOS. It is not an unreasonable suggestion on its own. So I gave it a try.

You should be very careful instead of blindly following the dangerous "advices" from armchair "experts" :wink: Especially with such complicated mobo model (it requires very specific BIOS version upgrade procedure - for example you can't just upgrade to latest BIOS if your current BIOS version was 0703 or older). And yes, Asus' tech support (as well as their software engineers responsible for writing firmware for various devices like mobos or network routers) is pretty awful, though I still prefer buying their mobos because of the choice of models and features...

Anyways, have you tried using their "BIOS Renamer" or "BIOS converter" utilities to go around "image outdated" error? I don't remember how it's exactly done but you should find all info about these utilities at their ROG forums. Just search for "Image Outdated" phrase there.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:15 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
neg

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:24 am

Regardless of what component caused the issue, i want to add that a 650W PSU for a system with 2 CPUs and a R9 290 seems a bit inadequate.

Frankly, the best thing you can do when you suspect that the graphics card is defective is to install it in another compatible PC. If the issues can be replicated on another system then the troubleshooting would be done very quickly.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:56 am

JohnC wrote:
Anyways, have you tried using their "BIOS Renamer" or "BIOS converter" utilities to go around "image outdated" error? I don't remember how it's exactly done but you should find all info about these utilities at their ROG forums. Just search for "Image Outdated" phrase there.

And ^ that's not a dangerous advice, it will out right kill the mobo with warranty void from Asus if something goes wrong. (Not to forget its a dam costly system the OP owns)

If i were him, I would have called the support team to get things back on track.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 am

:roll: It's already non-functioning, the only thing you can try (aside from replacing the BIOS chip itself) is to flash it back to older BIOS version... Which, if done successfully (using one of these BIOS format conversion apps to convert the "old" BIOS format into "new" one), will make the mobo functional again, and if not - there is no impact on warranty (Asus can already notice the unsuccessful BIOS upgrade attempt).

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:19 am

JohnC wrote:
:roll: It's already non-functioning, the only thing you can try (aside from replacing the BIOS chip itself) is to flash it back to older BIOS version... Which, if done successfully (using one of these BIOS format conversion apps to convert the "old" BIOS format into "new" one), will make the mobo functional again, and if not - there is no impact on warranty (Asus can already notice the unsuccessful BIOS upgrade attempt).

Hmm.. i didn't read the OP's comment regarding calling the support team, plus the error message, my bad - apologies for that.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:48 am

Sounds like a power problem. 290 needs a hefty amount of juice on 12V rail like the current batch of high-end video cards. Powering two Socket 2011 chips and a dual-socket LGA2011 is pretty taxing on 12V rail.

What was the previous video card?

Flashing the BIOS is among the last options that you should resort to. I would avoid as much as possible as you run into the chance of bricking equipment.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:34 am

Arclight wrote:
Regardless of what component caused the issue, i want to add that a 650W PSU for a system with 2 CPUs and a R9 290 seems a bit inadequate.

Not really, no. ~250W for a card (at full load, if the card is not already "bumping" into thermal limiter) plus ~100W for each CPU (again, at maximum load) will leave enough headroom for other devices. Unless power supply is defective and cannot supply the 54A on its single 12v line (or any other combination of 3v/5v/12v line current up to its rated 650w) anymore. But then it would simply cause a system reboot/restart instead of BSODs. Not to mention that the idle power consumption is very low (my single-CPU system with a single 290x card was idling at about 120w or so, with monitor turned on) and will never cause power-related issues (unless, of course, the PSU is defective).

P.S: Use at least a tiny bit of "common sense", people. And a calculator. Very useful for "armchair theorycrafting" or playing a "GeekSquad Agent"! :wink:

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 am

JohnC wrote:
Arclight wrote:

Not really, no. ~250W for a card (at full load, if the card is not already "bumping" into thermal limiter) plus ~100W for each CPU (again, at maximum load) will leave enough headroom for other devices. Unless power supply is defective and cannot supply the 54A on its single 12v line (or any other combination of 3v/5v/12v line current up to its rated 650w) anymore. But then it would simply cause a system reboot/restart instead of BSODs. Not to mention that the idle power consumption is very low (my single-CPU system with a single 290x card was idling at about 120w or so, with monitor turned on) and will never cause power-related issues (unless, of course, the PSU is defective).

P.S: Use at least a tiny bit of "common sense", people. And a calculator. Very useful for "armchair theorycrafting" or playing a "GeekSquad Agent"! :wink:

Whoa whoa whoa, dude

Ok, let's start from the begining and let me explain why i think it's not adequate even if it's sufficient. We are talking about 2 x 6 core processors, 8 GBs of DDR3, 4 x SSDs, R9 290, case fans and peripherals. Even though the 650W PSU will provide enough power and even have some Watts to spear, during full load the system will cause the PSU to get really hot which in terms will 1. Reduce it's lifespan, 2. Cause the PSU fan to become really noisy.

I talked from experience as i also own a Seasonic 520W PSU that i use to power a single CPU, 8 GBs of RAM and a GTX 560 Ti and during full load the PSU fan becomes way louder than any other component, including the video card. Before installing a custom CPU cooler the only component that could challenge the PSU fan while playing games like Crysis 2, was the fan of the stock cooler from AMD which was spinning at 5000 rpm.

I'm never again going to use a PSU just good enough in the future since i'd actually want the PC to be at least moderately quiet during full load so i can't actually recommend to others to use good enough PSUs either. Iirc the TR review setup had a 850W PSU for the R9 290 review and that system had a single CPU.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

Not to mention that some PSU split up the 12V rail into two or more rails. The load balancing can cause issues if there's enough watts on the 12V rails being used by R9 290.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 am

Arclight wrote:
1. Reduce it's lifespan, 2. Cause the PSU fan to become really noisy.

Lifespan - possible, but unlikely (there is no scientific data which shows relationship between the overall lifespan and electrical load of this PSU model). And if it will fail during warranty period - you can replace it regardless of the reason (unless there's some obvious physical damage or tampering with interior components). Noise - yea (there is a nice RPM graph here), but that's pretty subjective and depends on particular model and working environment. In any case it should still provide enough current for the listed hardware to work stable, ESPECIALLY during "idle" or "light load" conditions.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 am

clone wrote:
Ok, let's start from the begining and let me explain why i think it's not adequate even if it's sufficient. We are talking about 2 x 6 core processors, 8 GBs of DDR3, 4 x SSDs, R9 290, case fans and peripherals. Even though the 650W PSU will provide enough power and even have some Watts to spear, during full load the system will cause the PSU to get really hot which in terms will 1. Reduce it's lifespan, 2. Cause the PSU fan to become really noisy.
a few years ago (less than 5) a website ran the fastest processors available then they added as much ram as possible at the time, filled the drive bays & then they added 2 of Nvidia's fastest gfx cards along with 6 hard drives and a case full of fans and peripherals.

they left this "beast" running multiple benchmarking apps simultaniously 24/7 for days before proclaiming it stable.

the power supply they used was a 550 watt.

I see a lot of ppl reading from chicken entrails, the results of thrown bones and voodoo dolls in this thread.... it's 2013 and the level of FUD shouldn't be this high regarding this type of issue.

A few days is not enough to simulate years of use, dust build up and so on. But this was never the point i wanted to stress, what i wanted to point out was that the fan of his PSU will most certainly rev up to full speed during load and it might actually be noisier than other components. We all know the R9 290 stock fan is noisey but the guy might replace the cooler later thinking he will finally enjoy a quiet PC (again i''m talking during load) and have an unpleasant surprise.

Sure i have a bronze rated Seasonic PSU and the fan at full tilt might be noisier than the one on the Gold rated one. Here is a measurement of the PSU's noise during a 400W load (which a system equipped with w R9 290 will certainly reach as a whole):

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article986-page5.html

UnknownZA
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 am

Reinstall Windows. Yup, MS screwing with you.