Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Off-contract Moto X dropping $150 on Cyber Monday

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:25 pm

If you're a Verizon customer, like myself, then you're probably über pissed (but not at all surprised) that the Nexus 5 isn't available on Verizon. Have you considered the Moto X? It's a fantastic piece of hardware, despite running "mid-tier" specs (see my rant here), and will be dropping $150 off the full retail price. Yes, you can use Moto Maker to buy your own phone. Yes you can buy the Developer Edition (unlockable bootloader, non customizable). No, it's not just for Verizon phones.

That means the 16GB version will be selling for $349 (regular price $500) and the 32GB version will be selling for $399 (regular price $549). As usual, there is a catch...the sale starts at 0800 Central and there are "Limited quantities".

So, if you're in the market for an off-contract phone, and you're not on Verizon, then get the Nexus 5. But if you are a Verizon customer, or just don't care for the Nexus for some reason, then the Moto X is a great choice. I ordered mine on Monday (Deftones themed, FTW), and it should be here on Friday. I've already opened a ticket with Motorola asking to be refunded the $150 difference, as they've apparently been pretty awesome about things like that recently. Hell, even if they don't refund me the $150, I'll just order an identical one at the discounted price then return my "old" Moto X since I'm well within the return window for a new phone.

Motorola link
Motorola's Google+ post announcing the sale
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Off-contract Moto X dropping $150 on Cyber Monday

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 am

A good deal for a decently-spec'd phone. I just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 5 on T-mobile, and alas, my days at Big Red are over now.

They had $0 down (phone only) for cyber monday; so after taxes, sim card, and over-nighting it cost me $40. I'm paying $84 a month now at Verizon, it will be $87 a month at t-mobile until the phone is paid off, then $70 a month and no contract after that. I did a ton of research with respect to 'unlimited' data at T-mobile and the over-whelming majority at various forums I posted to was that T-mobile does not throttle 4G at all on the unlimited plan, though if you tether to a different device you COULD be throttled after 2.5 GB. If you revert to phone only, the throttling disappears, and there are already well known way around that tether limit. I'm not looking to make them my ISP but I do use over 20GB of phone data a month. A boy's man's gotta stream his sports and E-Sports after all.

Anyhow, I'm excited for this significant upgrade in all regards, and at a price I can easily digest. Thanks for the heads up ;)

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Just to give a personal update on this... The sale did NOT start at 8AM. The Moto web servers crashed way before that. I got my order in at 10:50AM CST. They hadn't officially announced that the sale had started, but I picked up a 32GB developer's edition for $399.

As of this posting, the Moto page was still showing $399 for the developers edition.

--SS

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Yeah...last Monday was a bit of a cluster!@#$, and actually wrote an apology. They re-did the offer on Wednesday, and again today, by allowing people to sign-up for a coupon code. There were obviously a limited amount of coupons to give out, but Motorola promised more that more phones would be made available than there was at first. As long as you made it to the website in time and plugged in your email address, you got a code. I actually grabbed several, so if anybody needs one, let me know. I think you have 14 days to use the code, and only one code can be used per account...so no coupon stacking.

Also, they extended their 30% off accessories special, too. Just use "THANKS" as a coupon code at checkout, and you're good to go.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 am

As an update on my part, I got notification this morning that my phone is shipping. Unfortunately, I don't get to play with it until Christmas.

--SS

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 pm

It's a decent phone and in some ways better than most other (I know that because I own most of them, including Moto X), just be aware that the camera quality still sucks even after latest updates (still overexposes stuff, has excessive noise in low lighting areas and has bad white balance with slightly "pinkish" tint) and its OLED display is not very good for watching photos or movies (it oversaturates everything). If you're ok with that and only care about apps and messaging/calling - it's a good buy. If you missed the promotion - few people at AndroidCentral's forums were posting spare codes here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:22 pm

I signed up not realizing I'd only have a week to buy the phone. Got a code for $150 off, if someone is going to be able to use it before next Monday you can have it. just PM me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen