Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

500/512 SSD for MBP 2011 model

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 am

I have a Corsair 128 SSD from the time I bought the MBP. It was a nightmare to make it work with sleeping. It had a known bug that was corrected after almost a year by Corsair with a firmware update. After this it has worked flawlessly.
The machine has 8GB RAM and it is still very fast. It is the last model that came with an internal DVDRW drive, something that I still appreciate and still use sometimes.

The hard disk is now very small to hold OSX, programs and pictures. I am constantly deleting things so it has come the time to upgrade. I want a >500GB SSD drive to replace it, and I want it to be fast.

I appreciate your recommendations as I am not sure if the best drive recommended in TR articles (I am just going to start to read about the topic) is going to be good for this notebook.

Thanks!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: 500/512 SSD for MBP 2011 model

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Apple has used Samsung SSDs in the past, and knowing that I'd be inclined to go with one of their drives.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm

I ended up with a Samsung 840EVO 750GB.
Can just say that I am very satisfied with the upgrade.
The only thing I still have not enabled is TRIM, but the disk is really fast and maybe I will not tweak OSX for enabling this.

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 am

After enabling TRIM on this disk (via Terminal) I started having random kernel panics. I have now disabled TRIM and the situation appears to be corrected, but have to test some days more to be sure.

It appears that Apple has strong reasons not to enable TRIM on other drives that are not tested by them (Apple ones). IMO it is really silly that we end users get so little info about the reasons back this, but there is little we can do.