Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: dymt reloaded

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:25 pm

I had vowed to never buy an Apple product, and technically I still haven't broken that vow. But as of a couple of weeks ago, I carry a work-issued iPhone. Whatever else I think of the company, I do have to give them credit for designing a clean, intuitive UI.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I had vowed to never buy an Apple product, and technically I still haven't broken that vow. But as of a couple of weeks ago, I carry a work-issued iPhone. Whatever else I think of the company, I do have to give them credit for designing a clean, intuitive UI.

Its only a matter of time until you convert now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Oh lord.

Smelled like the black magic marker? That's licorice smell. "J" on the bottle with a deer? That's Jagermeister... That is DEFINITELY NOT SCOTCH

Most assuredly NOT Jager. I dislike Anise, and I've had more than my allotted run-ins with jaegerbombs in my college days, no thanks! We should be getting wedding photos soon, and Im sure the bottle will be visible in our hotel room to confirm. It smelled like corkboard and when I burped all night I tasted black magic marker and burning. I retracted my "J" name earlier.

Christ, I just did some more googling because I'm positive was scotch, and I'm positive it was a 10 year single malt. I believe it was Laphroaig's now. Look - I had been drinking the night before, and we were well on our way before I had that drink. These things tend to get away from me :glares squinty at all of you: Don't you judge me! J is pretty close to L in the alphabet... Shut up.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm

This it?

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/10yo.aspx

Starting your Scotch experiences with Laphroaig is jumping straight into the deepest end there is.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:42 pm

The peat smoke in Scotch contains phenols. In high concentrations, phenols can impart flavors that some people perceive as plasticy or medicinal. Scotch and certain beer styles (traditional Hefeweizen, some Belgian Ales) are among the beverages where clearly perceptible levels of phenols are considered normal. (I'm treating tannins separately here, even though they are chemically related to phenols...)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm

I've taken to singing "We are the Champions" after difficult diaper changes. I can't be the first parent to do that can I?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I've taken to singing "We are the Champions" after difficult diaper changes. I can't be the first parent to do that can I?

Back in the day I was happy with diaper changes that didn't require mil-spec decom.

Said this many a time and it remains true for all gerbils experiencing their first spawnage: They aren't as fragile as you think they are.

Congrats on the spawn and may you quickly move to all-night sleepage.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:00 am

At one year old I'm hoping its soon. Some nights he does, some nights he doesn't.

But he's gotten to the point where he fights diaper changes now :o :x
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
At one year old I'm hoping its soon. Some nights he does, some nights he doesn't.

But he's gotten to the point where he fights diaper changes now :o :x

Our youngest (now 6) would dig in the diaper and smear it all over if given a chance. Not a good experience to say the least :x

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Dude. Potty train early. Wife read a blog on how to have your kid potty trained at 18 mos and that shizz worked. We had her trained at 19 mos, had a minor setback when she got an infection, but were back on track before she turned two. She's 25 months now and has been peeing and pooping in the potty since September.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Holy crap that's awesome. Mine was almost 3 before she even wanted to, although once she did accidents were super rare.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm going to see how it's going in a few more months; he's only a year but if I can have him toilet trained at 18 months...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm going to see how it's going in a few more months; he's only a year but if I can have him toilet trained at 18 months...

Target shooting.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 pm

The method in a nutshell: clear your calendar for a weekend (preferably a three day weekend). We had three little potties. Kid's pants were removed and she was confined to a non-carpeted area of the house, and watched like a hawk. Every 30 minutes we sat her on a potty. Whenever she sat on a potty voluntarily she got a miniature marshmallow. If she started to pee on the floor, we put her on a potty and she got an M&M. She was encouraged to yell "POTTY POTTY POTTY!" when she felt she had to go. By the end of Day 2, she was about 50%. Day 3, she was pretty much there and we let her wear her pants in the house. Day 4 and 5 we left the potties out, but when she said she had to go we took her to our bathroom and put her on the big toilet (used an insert so she didn't fall in). When we went shopping, we took a little potty with us and if she had to go, she went in the store near the back of an aisle. Got some looks from people, but screw them. Pooping took longer to master, but still came fairly quickly. Daycare complicates things, much easier without them if you can swing it until the kid is fully trained.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

That's the biggest worry--but I figure the wife and I could burn a day of PTO each ot make it work.
Pooping is what I want to work the most because, well, wiping Sam is GROSS.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 am

Projectile vomiting is grosser. At least with poop you're not cleaning it off the floor, walls, bed, etc. Well, at least not usually.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
Projectile vomiting is grosser. At least with poop you're not cleaning it off the floor, walls, bed, etc. Well, at least not usually.

Our daughter was one of the not usually cases. Crib in the middle of the room kept the walls clean but good god I wanted to invest in a pressure washer.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Hance wrote:
Our daughter was one of the not usually cases. Crib in the middle of the room kept the walls clean but good god I wanted to invest in a pressure washer.

Ah, stories for Prom Night.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:11 pm

ludi wrote:
Hance wrote:
Ah, stories for Prom Night.

I like your style. 8) Do you get out the fancy white taffeta sleeve for the shotgun?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:04 pm

passed the written part of the entrance exam for the police department. Next weekend is the physical. Ugh, running. They canned today's physical stuff because it was single digits and snowing this morning and the agility test is outdoors.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:20 pm

I'll eventually regret saying this, but the NE has lucked out thus far on the weather. Everyone I talk to on regular basis that lives elsewhere (KS,TX, MI) has been complaining for a couple weeks now. Yesterday when I woke up it was 60 degrees.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

It's currently 28 degrees F in Portland,OR right now.

Stupidly cold.

Being out in this weather is no fun at all.

Supposed to be 32 degrees F for the high temp tomorrow,with a wind chill as low as 9 degrees F.

Going to work tomorrow is going to suck.(Also,there's a 60% chance of snow.Oh joy.)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:
It's currently 28 degrees F in Portland,OR right now.

Stupidly cold.

Wimp.

28F isn't even *close* to being "stupidly cold". Temps need to be down in the single digits (or at least low teens) to qualify as "stupidly cold".

:wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 am

Yeah it's 16F here right now and that's not even the coldest it's been in the last week or so. Plus whoever it was that posted the -33C screencap a few days ago, that's really cold.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 am

19F here and I had to clear snow off my car this morning. The wind made it a lot worse because it kept blowing the snow right in my face. Didn't matter which way I was facing...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am

Like I said I would, regretting the 60 in December. Today isn't that cold, but it's windy/snowy/rainy. NE winter weather has begun.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 am

I've gone running in sub-zero temperatures. The biggest problem is layering. Too many layers and your clothes get very wet very soon from sweat, and then they start to freeze. Not enough layers and you aren't warm enough to run without risking injury. I find that a hat, gloves, vaseline on the face with a scarf over the mouth, 1 layer thermals, 1 layer sweats works really well. Keep the mouth covered so you're always getting warm air.

imi
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:55 pm

really... you can't be serious!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Hey, looks who just dropped by! :D

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I've gone running in sub-zero temperatures. The biggest problem is layering. Too many layers and your clothes get very wet very soon from sweat, and then they start to freeze. Not enough layers and you aren't warm enough to run without risking injury. I find that a hat, gloves, vaseline on the face with a scarf over the mouth, 1 layer thermals, 1 layer sweats works really well. Keep the mouth covered so you're always getting warm air.

Pretty much what I did all through high school wrestling. Sometimes instead of sweats i'd wear vinyls though. :/ Oh the mistakes we make as children.