Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

QR Codes

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:32 am

As I was sitting in the drive through of McDonalds for a cup-o-joe this morning I noticed a special parking place with a sign that had a QR code on it. I guess you park there use the QR code to order online then they bring your stuff to you. It got me wondering, who in the heck actually uses QR codes? So if you use them tell me why. It just seems like an awful lot of trouble to me.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: QR Codes

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:41 am

They are used pretty heavily at conferences now. The booths and sessions can all scan your info.

Other uses are a little too basic... the QR code can hold contact card info or a web URL. They can hold more but that is all I've seen them used for so far.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 am

I use QR codes to setup 2-factor authentication.

I would like it if they were added to shopping receipts, and I could read the receipt into some budget tracking software via my smart phone instead of manually entering the receipt.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I use QR codes to setup 2-factor authentication.

I would like it if they were added to shopping receipts, and I could read the receipt into some budget tracking software via my smart phone instead of manually entering the receipt.

Both of those are excellent ideas.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

videobits
Gerbil

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:47 am

Here's the last place I noticed QR codes being used:

If you are in Sams Club or Costco, take a look at the bottom corner of the pallets. Many of them had large QR codes.
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that they must have scanners mounted to the forklifts in their distribution chain. That would allow every pallet's location to be tracked as it was moved without any operator data entry(and errors).

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am

in warehousing they are replacing barcodes for sure (can store a lot of details in a QR code like production info, best before for recalls)

due to the cost difference they are displacing RFID tags which never truly caught on.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm

With the proliferation of smartphones and other small camera equipped devices, the QR codes beat typing a weirdo URL. Especially considering if you have only one hand to hold the phone. So I would not say this is trouble.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Even so, I never have come across this situation.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 am

I frequently see QR codes on stickers in the front windows of restaurants; typically they take you to their fb or website (or both: it's not unusual to see two side-by-side). I've seen a couple of businesses that have a QR code that takes you to a site where you can register to get their spam; by doing so you get an e-coupon you can use immediately (they just scan it off your phone/tablet). One of the bars I frequent sometimes has coasters with a QR code on the back; I think they're given away by a liquor company or distributor (I've never bothered to scan them to see where they take you). A lot of the realtors around here seem to have added QR codes to their For Sale signs so you can get taken directly to the listing rather than relying on missing or rain-soaked paper flyers in that little plastic box on the sign.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:00 am

I am also digging the QR codes they sent via email to your smartphones as your boarding passes. Lots of people just carry the smartphones around anyways, why another extra paper.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.