Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Xbox one prank that bricks console

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 pm

When will people ever learn or is it just a case of the advent of the internet exposing the world to the fact that there are very many stupid people that walk among us.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34295/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-troll-bricks-consoles-instead/index.html

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Xbox one prank that bricks console

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 pm

It is so sad that a console could be bricked with nothing but a controller. Reminds me of the Commodore PET and how you could brick it with a mere basic poke.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 am

while step 5 was fairly obviously not going to make the one backwards compatible, steps 1-4 are worth knowing for anyone who has half a brain. in fact, learning about the dev console is a reason that I might consider the XBOne once they break down and offer a cheaper camera free version(or I can buy it on ebay, whatever.) I hate rules.

Deanjo wrote:
It is so sad that a console could be bricked with nothing but a controller. Reminds me of the Commodore PET and how you could brick it with a mere basic poke.

well its the developer console. on the one hand, I agree that you should probably bury it a little bit more, perhaps have a XB1 Disk based access or something, I do like that the Dev console is included on every system and I don't know why it would surprise you to learn that messing with settings there can screw up everything. short of including a hardware bios that can fetch a new OS from MSFT servers with the push of a button (which would be both prudent and easily accomplished) messing around with the console is risky.

hit the windows key, type regedit and change/delete xxxxx. bad idea bro.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:35 am

Diplomacy42 wrote:

The difference is that the end user was meant to have that kind of access on Windows. Dev mode on the XBOne could have easily stopped end users from getting into somewhere that they should not have access to with a simple USB key lock.

At least on the steambox it is meant to be "hacker" friendly open system and you don't have to worry about bricking the system when it can easily be restored.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Diplomacy42 wrote:

The difference is that the end user was meant to have that kind of access on Windows. Dev mode on the XBOne could have easily stopped end users from getting into somewhere that they should not have access to with a simple USB key lock.

At least on the steambox it is meant to be "hacker" friendly open system and you don't have to worry about bricking the system when it can easily be restored.

Well no, MSFT has already said that they always intended to allow end users to use the console. Its just "not ready yet."

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Diplomacy42 wrote:
while step 5 was fairly obviously not going to make the one backwards compatible, steps 1-4 are worth knowing for anyone who has half a brain. in fact, learning about the dev console is a reason that I might consider the XBOne once they break down and offer a cheaper camera free version(or I can buy it on ebay, whatever.) I hate rules.

Deanjo wrote:

well its the developer console. on the one hand, I agree that you should probably bury it a little bit more, perhaps have a XB1 Disk based access or something, I do like that the Dev console is included on every system and I don't know why it would surprise you to learn that messing with settings there can screw up everything. short of including a hardware bios that can fetch a new OS from MSFT servers with the push of a button (which would be both prudent and easily accomplished) messing around with the console is risky.

The jokes on you if you think you're going to be able to pick up a retail Xbox One and turn it into a developer console. This access is going to certainly be removed in the near future from retail systems.

EDIT: Looks like I'm the wrong one here. I'm honestly shocked MS is taking this stance: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/micros ... 0-6413138/