Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Very fast INTERNET, but TOO SLOW DOWNLOADS

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 am

Hi guys, i have this network problem right now, I am using two routers MODEM/ROUTER > 2nd ROUTER > PC (wired and laptop wifi)

I am irritated to see that when i browse, and watch youtube, its so fast i stream every video i see on the internet its really really fast, this is the way really my old connection is going through, but right now, my download speeds changed. I have a plan of 3MBPS and i know i have a maximum DL speed of 375.. Last time, all were the same my video streaming is as fast like now, and my download speed average is like 350-370 kbps constant. But now, the only thing that changed is my download speed in torrents, individual websites, and everything as long as it is a DOWNLOAD, its so slow.

Heres the things ive tried to find my problem:

*Tried to DL a file at different websites heres my result

*Nvidia Download drivers - 250-350 kbps
*Mediafire - 40-50kbps
*Torrents - 60-80kbps ( take note, im 200% sure i have portforwaded my utorrent and i chose good SEED:LEECH ratio)
*other several i cant remember websites 50-90 kbps

*Speedtest.net results - 3.5 - 3.10 mbps
speedofme - 340 kbps
and other intenet speedtest websites its really fulfilling my promised plan of 3mbps (375kbps)

*Webpages loads fast
*video streaming loads fast (i tried different kinds of videos, i tried those videos i havnt buffed before, extremely new video)
*tried to clean my computer, cc cleaner, advanced system care etc.

Now, i really don't know what to do more, i didnt contact my ISP because i am thinking, its not in their end and i dont want them to mess up my connection more, im suspectings its behind my modem/router since my router is newly changed, these problems began happening. Hopefully you could help me guys, im really pissed on this one. Please help me and sorry for the long post thank you.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Very fast INTERNET, but TOO SLOW DOWNLOADS

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 am

Sounds like traffic shaping to me, who's your ISP?
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 am

jss21382 wrote:
Sounds like traffic shaping to me, who's your ISP?

I live in the Philippines, and my ISP is PLDT. Is there a way we could confirm if your suspicion is really true?

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:07 am

It's something that's fairly hard to confirm, but the fact that only torrents and mediafire are affected is suspicious. Your isp is on Vuze's list of bad ISP's, You might try another torrent client that uses encryption to hide the traffic type from the isp to see if that helps, see http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Avoid_traffic_shaping it might help.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 am

jss21382 wrote:
It's something that's fairly hard to confirm, but the fact that only torrents and mediafire are affected is suspicious. Your isp is on Vuze's list of bad ISP's, You might try another torrent client that uses encryption to hide the traffic type from the isp to see if that helps, see http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Avoid_traffic_shaping it might help.

Damn this ISP, ok, ill give it a try later and if my torrent speed goes back to normal, then i could say that they are throttling my speed? If so, is it right to tell to them and to order them to stop doing it? What are my rights in this? I really know my ISP sucks but we dont have options here.. Thank you so much for the input.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:03 am

If a torrent of a linux ISO or something is slow, then something is definitely the matter, as those kinds of legal torrents are often seeded with a lot of bandwidth.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 am

Firestarter wrote:
If a torrent of a linux ISO or something is slow, then something is definitely the matter, as those kinds of legal torrents are often seeded with a lot of bandwidth.

It doesn't matter if it is a legal download or not. Pretty much every ISP out there has a clause in their service agreement that allows them to manage bandwidth as they see fit.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 am

Deanjo wrote:
Firestarter wrote:

It doesn't matter if it is a legal download or not. Pretty much every ISP out there has a clause in their service agreement that allows them to manage bandwidth as they see fit.

Yes, but it's a sure-fire way to find out if torrents are being throttled or not, because with legal torrents you will often be downloading it from just a few (less than 10) peers. They work very much like normal downloads in that sense, and should have similar speeds.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 am

Firestarter wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
Firestarter wrote:

Yes, but it's a sure-fire way to find out if torrents are being throttled or not, because with legal torrents you will often be downloading it from just a few (less than 10) peers. They work very much like normal downloads in that sense, and should have similar speeds.

You would have to find a really old linux torrent with that few of peers. My openSUSE ones for example pretty much have a minumum of 50 peers on them at any time.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, I tried Vuze client, i portforwarded it, enabled encrypted downloading, and BOOM! My DL speed came back high up, although it should be 350+ kbps, it is only 250-270kbps but i am assuming that was only my speed since i was using skype. Thanks for the input guys i think my ISP really is throttling my connection, well **** them, i would also download IDM, to help enlighten my HTTP downloads even just a bit. Thank you so much guys, really big thanks.

I forgot to tell that like 1 week ago, if the problem was more worse that if i start my utorrent client, my whole internet connection is disconnecting, really this ISP is **** but we can do nothing.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:22 am

It could also be that your connection to the server in question has a bottleneck somewhere as well.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:19 pm

^What do you mean bottlenecked? Please elaborate more so i can understand thank you..

->>> I have 1 more question guys, if i follow this encrpted method of downloading in vuze:

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Avoid_traffic_shaping

I was using RC4 method, i just want to ask if what is the downside of this? I mean would i compromise my computer security for this? This is my first time use this method, sorry for the ignorance. thank you.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 pm

BitTorrent is a protocol designed to be open in the first place. Even the traffic is encrypted, your IP is still being broadcasted so if you are sharing something illegal and they really want to find you, they still can. It is not going to be "secure".

But to avoid traffic shaping, there is not a lot of downside other than a bit of CPU overhead to encrypt/decrypt the packets. Modern day multicore CPUs should be able to handle that no problem. Does your ISP have a cap in place? You may still be throttled or blocked if you are past the cap. Worse, they bill you ridiculous amount on "overages". So you should watch it.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 am

Flying Fox wrote:
BitTorrent is a protocol designed to be open in the first place. Even the traffic is encrypted, your IP is still being broadcasted so if you are sharing something illegal and they really want to find you, they still can. It is not going to be "secure".

But to avoid traffic shaping, there is not a lot of downside other than a bit of CPU overhead to encrypt/decrypt the packets. Modern day multicore CPUs should be able to handle that no problem. Does your ISP have a cap in place? You may still be throttled or blocked if you are past the cap. Worse, they bill you ridiculous amount on "overages". So you should watch it.

Its ok if they have the "chance" to find me, as long as right now they wont find me, im alright with that, and downloading of torrent here in our country isnt too much strict, i even don't really know if torrenting here in our country is illegal or not, but no one has been arrested of doing that here. (almost all PC users do that here too)

Ok, i think i have enough CPU resources so ill let it go. Nope, my plan is supposed to be absolutely limited, and they shouldnt be capping me.

One thing i am thinking of as a reason for now why they throttle if not all of their users, well maybe some, is that they have congested lines in DOTA 2 here in PH as the reason of many players and they needed to upgrade their services or server capacities resulting to latency in DOTA 2 only games. Thats the only reason i could think of why they are controlling some of us users bandwidth here.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:33 pm

tigidig3x wrote:
(almost all PC users do that here too)
Almost all PC users that you know of. Ordinary users don't really need to BitTorrent. Even if you are grabbing those Linux ISOs, you are already not an "ordinary PC user".

tigidig3x wrote:
One thing i am thinking of as a reason for now why they throttle if not all of their users, well maybe some, is that they have congested lines in DOTA 2 here in PH as the reason of many players and they needed to upgrade their services or server capacities resulting to latency in DOTA 2 only games. Thats the only reason i could think of why they are controlling some of us users bandwidth here.

Games like DOTA2 should not use too much bandwidth. BT traffic does. It used to account for a significant amount in overall internet traffic, although now that has been taken over by Youtube and Netflix, at least in the US.
2010: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-stil ... ic-101026/
2013: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-traf ... pe-131111/
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.