Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

HDD not recognized in new system

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Just built my new system -- a slightly modified TR Econobox -- and setup was good until I got to hooking up my old hard drives. Both old hard drives are similar -- WD 640GB, SATA connections, though I did buy them about a year apart -- and both worked perfectly before I switched them from the old case to the new one. One drive, the system drive, made the move happily. The other one refuses to boot.

I tried swapping cables and power connectors, but Win8 won't see the drive no matter what I do. I didn't try every combination of cables and free SATA ports on the ASRock H87M Pro4 mobo, but I probably shouldn't have to.

The drive spins up (I can feel it), it just won't talk to Win8. Any advice on where I should go from here?

EDIT: I should specify that my system drive is now an SSD with a fresh Win8.1 Pro install. PSU is a Corsair CX430M. The BIOS recognizes both older drives drives. Both drives are recognized by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. What gives, Windows?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: HDD not recognized in new system

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Can you see it from diskmgmt.msc?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Can you see it from diskmgmt.msc?

Nope.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Interesting problem. Sounds sort of like what I had with a DVD drive that couldn't be seen by Windows most of the time (though occasionally it would be seen on boot.) Turns out something had gotten corrupted in the registry and I had to find a fix from Microsoft to set it right.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Still might be worth trying a different SATA port. Sometimes mobo vendors use a 3rd party chip for some of the ports, and Windows won't see them unless you've got the proper drivers loaded.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

warhead
Gerbil

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I'd make sure the drive wasn't affected by hooking it to something of a known quantity - like a USB to SATA adapter or the original system.
Then grab backups. I've seen something similar before, albeit on a much older system, up to 3 would work, but if I loaded 4 SATA drives on the controller it would randomly decide (in the BIOS) which drives it saw. Sometimes two, sometimes one. I chalked it up to bad SATA chip and put a RAID controller card in it. No further issues. In the BIOS, are all the drives present?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 am

Well, that's odd. After a few more reboots, I can see the drive in Windows. No idea what caused it to be invisible before, but I'll be backing my data up just in case. Thanks for the ideas, fellas, but this might remain a mystery...