Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Camera Organizer Box

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 pm

So, I feel like this probably deserves to go in the Back Porch.

I'm looking for suggestions to store camera supplies in. My current camera bag is also used as a backpack for daytrips and the like, when I might not always want to carry my camera, so I'd like something a little more permanent to store my supplies in. Currently I have 3 SLR bodies, a bevy of lenses, miscellaneous lens caps, filters, and other supplies. Ideally, the storage space would be slightly modular so I can size it to fit different size lenses, and fairly sturdy, since I have a few large, all metal lenses.

Size constraints mean it should be about 14"H x 15 3/4"W x 26 3/4"D (66-qt storage container). Something off the shelf would be great, but I'm open to ideas. Does any such product even really exist?
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Camera Organizer Box

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Best thing is to get a Pelican case. They're a bit on the expensive side, but they are built to resist all sorts of torture and keep your stuff safe. The way they work is you get the case with a big block of padding inside and you cut out the padding to fit whatever gear you have. They also have lines of cases that are specific to a particular use. I have a few Pelican cases and I am very pleased with 'em.

EDIT: I searched for 'camera' on Pelican's site and got a few recommendations, including this hard-bodied camera pack and this one, and this larger storage case. If you don't have much equipment, you could get my with a large, regular case.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Ammo cases are cheap and very good protection. Your local army surplus store should have a good selection.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Alternatively you could get a Rubbermaid (or similar) storage bin with lid, and some sheets/blocks of high-density foam, and do a DIY thing like the Pelican case. Pelican cases are great if you're planning to transport the contents (and especially if it needs to be watertight) but if this purely static storage in a closet then a bin (or a couple, to organize say lens and bodies separately) might work. You can find those bins at big-box home improvement stores (I'd specifically avoid Walmart, as seemingly identical Rubbermaid products there are crappier because they're made special, and cheaper, specifically for Walmart) as well as specialty retailers like Storables; you should be able to find foam there as well (though locally there's a place that deals in nothing but foam for everything from car seats to shipping containers: check your yellow pages).

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Pelican cases are great if you're planning to transport the contents (and especially if it needs to be watertight) but if this purely static storage in a closet then a bin (or a couple, to organize say lens and bodies separately) might work. You can find those bins at big-box home improvement stores (I'd specifically avoid Walmart, as seemingly identical Rubbermaid products there are crappier because they're made special, and cheaper, specifically for Walmart) as well as specialty retailers like Storables; you should be able to find foam there as well (though locally there's a place that deals in nothing but foam for everything from car seats to shipping containers: check your yellow pages).

I can take my small ammo case with two lenses and some junk in it, it's well padded, and beat any Pelican case to a crumpled mess and then take pictures of the result with what was in my ammo case. Ammo cases are very waterproof as well.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:17 pm

PenGun wrote:
I can take my small ammo case with two lenses and some junk in it, it's well padded, and beat any Pelican case to a crumpled mess and then take pictures of the result with what was in my ammo case. Ammo cases are very waterproof as well.

Have a few .50 cal boxes and one 20MM. For lenses and some padding, the 20MM box is the one to get as it's really roomy and they're always available on FleaBay. Ammo cans also make great first-aid kits if the seals are still good. Each of the 3 cars (daughter is rapidly approaching licensing age) has a fully-stocked kit in the trunk in a 100-round .50 cal can with fresh seals.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 pm

PenGun wrote:

Depends on which ammo case vs which Pelican case, and if the Pelican case is in fact a military case.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeats wrote:
PenGun wrote:

Depends on which ammo case vs which Pelican case, and if the Pelican case is in fact a military case.

Pelican Harddig Military cases:
"One-piece construction, molded from lightweight, high-impact polyethylene"

Ammo Case:
Steel with a rubber lid gasket.

No I'm gonna be able to destroy Pelican Military cases with my small ammo case. Cost me $18, the small one, in mint shape from Gerry the local army surplus guy. They are heavy, it's the only drawback. For me it's a plus. Heavy is good, heavy is ....

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:01 pm

PenGun wrote:
Heavy is good, heavy is ....

....Tokina!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:58 pm

I would love to find an overhead-compliant flight case that can hold a Nikon body, flash, two or three lenses, associated crap, PLUS a 17" Asus laptop and power supply, or instead of the laptop, a small 25-key keyboard controller AND drum controller and associated USB hubs, cables, and assorted power supplies.

And be easy for me to pack and repack after TSA looks at it, because all that junk forces a hand inspection 3 times out of 4.

Reconfigurable options would be appreciated. I pack for the conditions and expected activities so the "big block of foam" idea probably won't be the best possible solution for me.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:15 am

BIF wrote:
I would love to find an overhead-compliant flight case that can hold a Nikon body, flash, two or three lenses, associated crap, PLUS a 17" Asus laptop and power supply, or instead of the laptop, a small 25-key keyboard controller AND drum controller and associated USB hubs, cables, and assorted power supplies.

And be easy for me to pack and repack after TSA looks at it, because all that junk forces a hand inspection 3 times out of 4.

Reconfigurable options would be appreciated. I pack for the conditions and expected activities so the "big block of foam" idea probably won't be the best possible solution for me.

Well, this case is the maximum FAA-allowed carry-on size...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III