Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Game like Defense Grid

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm almost through my casual playing of Defense Grid. It's a good game that I can pick up and play whenever I have time, and it reminds me of the good ol' days of strategy games, even if it's much simpler. Are there any other games like it and as good as it that anyone can recommend to me? I'm cool with Steam or GOG games (or other services, if there are...).
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Game like Defense Grid

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Civilization V is on sale for $7.49.

Since we're in the midst of the steam holiday sale, you can wait for other titles to go on 75% discount.

Railroad Tycoon II and Railroad Tycoon 3 are classics.

Orcs Must Die! and Orcs Must Die! 2 are good tower defense games.

Plants vs. Zombies is a much simpler tower defense game than Defense Grid, but it's definitely got the casual accessibility to pick it up and put it back down whenever your schedule permits.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 am

Defense Grid is my favorite casual game on PCs, this and a lot of Plants vs Zombies 2 on my iPad when I'm out on the road. It's ridiculous how much time I've spent on optimizing strats in endless Grinder mode, I'm in the leaderboard 100 for DLC maps like Auger. Defense Grid's strategy mechanics are superior to PvZ2, its progression of difficulty on most maps in endless mode is balanced for playing satisfaction. PvZ2's progressions of maps punish accumulative strategies with arbitrarily punctuated boss maps to entice frustrated players into frequent in-game purchases. I sure would like to see something newer that's as well-designed and polished as these games.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:26 am

I also find Guild Wars 2 to be good for casual play. The "Heroic Edition" digital version is on sale for just $29.99 (with no monthly fees). That's a tremendous value.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:51 am

Picked up Civ IV. That's not as casual a game, but a great one. OMD is a good recommendation, too. Might jump on it. Thanks, and keep the recs coming!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

CeeGee
Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 am

Hello! I'm a long time reader of TR but first time poster.

I love Defense Grid so much I've managed to log over 200 hours on it and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

You might like to check out Sanctum it's a kind of hybrid between tower defense and a first person shooter that you can also play co-op with a friend or three. Some things a bit different but still casual that I enjoy are AaAaAA!! - A reckless disregard for gravity and Call of Juarez Gunslinger. All of these are in the Steam sale at the moment so shouldn't break the bank.

I hope you find something you like. :)

LostCat

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:51 am

CeeGee wrote:
You might like to check out Sanctum it's a kind of hybrid between tower defense and a first person shooter that you can also play co-op with a friend or three. Some things a bit different but still casual that I enjoy are AaAaAA!! - A reckless disregard for gravity and Call of Juarez Gunslinger. All of these are in the Steam sale at the moment so shouldn't break the bank.

All of Dejobaans stuff is good but A Reckless Disregard For Gravity is the old version, - for the Awesome is the newer one.

Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby is the only one I can't recommend yet. It's entertaining but it...well needs work.
Meow.

trackerben

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 pm

CeeGee wrote:
Hello! I'm a long time reader of TR but first time poster.

I love Defense Grid so much I've managed to log over 200 hours on it and I'm looking forward to the sequel...

Welcome to TR CeeGee! Thanks for the heads-up, looks like I'll be investing a lot of coffee time here.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:22 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I'm almost through my casual playing of Defense Grid.

When I first bought Defense Grid I wanted to play it just "casually". That lasted all of 2 levels before I wanted to start beating all of the challenges and then it turned into more of an obsession trying to best my previous scores.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

CeeGee
Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

trackerben wrote:
Welcome to TR CeeGee!

Thanks!
trackerben wrote:
looks like I'll be investing a lot of coffee time here.

Me too. :D