Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

The Steam Holiday Sale

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Here we are again...in some ways it feels tiring and repetative having big sales all the time, but it's hard to argue with great deals on PC games.

Jawes's Day 1 Suggestions:
Buy The Stanley Parable. Do I really need to explain this? Go play the demo if you haven't already (it's a completely separate experience), but then spend the $9 to get this masterpiece.

Consider Batman: Arkham Origins. I haven't finished this one, but it's basically more Batman story and crime fighting. It's built on Arkham City, so the mechanics are pretty solid. However, this was not developed by Rock Steady, and that can be pretty apparent at times. If you've already played the other two games and need more Batman, it's worth owning for $25. Otherwise, grab Asylum and City when they pop up for cheap and start with those.

Anywho, if you see something worth grabbing, let your fellow Gerbils know.

Oh, and if anyone is new to how these sales work, only pick up games on the "Daily Deals" or "Flash Sales." There are a lot of games with discounts, but the deepest cuts happen there. Otherwise you may as well wait until the last day to pick up a game.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Re: The Steam Holiday Sale

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Picked up Monaco: What's Yours is Mine--they just patched the game to improve mechanics and added content based on user feedback. For $2.99 it should be some nice, light fun.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

blorbic5
Gerbil

Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Going to get Shogun 2 when I get home. anyone else see that the package is $22 but if you buy it separately it's only like $17?

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:15 pm

superjawes wrote:
Otherwise, grab Asylum and City when they pop up for cheap and start with those.

Both are on sale for $5 and $7.50 respectively for the next 18 hours.

Buyer beware about Asylum. The launcher simply doesn't work for a lot of people, and it has to be run at least once for the game to work. Try the demo first if your download speeds will allow it; it has the same problem. City is not affected by this problem.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Melvar wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Otherwise, grab Asylum and City when they pop up for cheap and start with those.

Both are on sale for $5 and $7.50 respectively for the next 18 hours.

Oh hey...looks like they were on the same deal as Origins, but were less visible since the big news is the deep cut on Origins.

So yeah...pick up the first two...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Taking this one off. I haven't played all the stuff I bought this time last year. :o
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:38 pm

There are some terrific titles available today.

Tomb Raider is $10.
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition is $7½.
The Witcher 2 is $5.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Voldenuit

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Picked up Project Zomboid (Early access) for $11.something and Fez + OST for $3.79 (non-soundtrack version was $2.49) yesterday.

Got a huge backlog of games to go through (grinding through Dragon's Crown and just picked up Tearaway on PSN Flash sale yesterday), so this year's Steam purchases are probably going to be a bit lighter for me than past years.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:01 pm

idchafee wrote:
Taking this one off. I haven't played all the stuff I bought this time last year. :o

Same. Lately I've noticed I've been purchasing those $59.99 games and noticed I have never played them once. Like 10+ games! Cray!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 pm

superjawes wrote:
Here we are again...in some ways it feels tiring and repetative having big sales all the time, but it's hard to argue with great deals on PC games.

Jawes's Day 1 Suggestions:
Buy The Stanley Parable. Do I really need to explain this? Go play the demo if you haven't already (it's a completely separate experience), but then spend the $9 to get this masterpiece.

Wow. just watched the trailer. Seems worth the $11.24 I'll drop and waste by downloading and never playing this. But I will purchase anyways in the hope that I play it at least 1 time! :)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Omg!!! StarBound is soooooo additive! It's like minecraft+terreria on crack! I just wasted hours (single player mode only) on this purchase ($14.99 beta thinger), well worth it! lol

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:40 pm

I bought Just Cause 2, a game I kinda despise, but the hang glider parachute thing is fun and for $3 I can deal with the cheese.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
There are some terrific titles available today.

Tomb Raider is $10.
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition is $7½.
The Witcher 2 is $5.

Unless you have to get it from Steam I would suggest holding off. You can pick up DAO: Ultimate Edition from Amazon.com for $5. Also Tomb Raider is supposed to go on sale for one day (or maybe it is 2 days) for $5 on Amazon starting on Tuesday the 24th. Not a huge savings on either but it is enough to get another cheap game. ;)

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Jawes's 12/23/2013 Recommendations:
Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition is $15. That's the game + the major DLC from the first year. You can get the GOTY edition of the first game and a "vanilla" copy of 2 on Amazon today, per JAE's thread. I haven't finished all of this DLC, but it is a great continuation of the main story. If you haven't played the first Borderlands, I would recommend going to Amazon. If you have already played that one, go to Steam and get 2.

Solar 2 is on Community Choice Sale for about 7 more hours. You start off as an asteroid and crash into smaller asteroids until you have enough mass to become a planet. Then you start absorbing asteroids to get enough mass to become a star. You can continue getting more and more mass, but I won't spoil it. The sale brings it down to $2. Pay that and at least get three hours of fun. The game is hilarious and has some fancy challenges if you'd like to try them.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:00 pm

If you like classic remakes, I'll recommend shadow warrior and rott.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:28 pm

superjawes wrote:
Jawes's 12/23/2013 Recommendations:
Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition is $15. That's the game + the major DLC from the first year.
Plus a ton of the "extras" as well, such as the Wildlife circle of slughter, Ultimate Vault packs (1 and 2 which raise the level to 72) and additional character play through (psycho and Mecromancer).
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Kougar

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Does collecting Snow Globe cards count as a game? :P

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:09 pm

The people voting on the community choice sale have voted wrong (i.e. differently than me) every single time so far.

Anyhow, Super Hexagon is 29 cents for the next 7 hours. Also, if there's still anyone that hasn't played System Shock 2, it's $2.49 for the next 7 hours.

Steele
Gerbil

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Is anyone else having problems with Steam? LFD2 is supposed to be free (and I got some gift cards to redeem), but all I can do is log in; I can't access the store, and when I can, I can't download anything. =(
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I can't get the store page to load right now, and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ also says it's down.

I'm not sure what you mean about downloading stuff from the store, but my steam client is downloading stuff right now without a problem.

sjl
Gerbil

Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah, the store seems to be offline at the moment. Annoying; looks like DX:HR is 66% off, so I was hoping to pick up the upgrade to the director's cut for $1.70 instead of $5 (I'd bought the DLC separately), and if L4D2 is free, I'd like to snap it up as well.

*shrugs* It either comes back or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, I'll survive. It's not like I have no unplayed games in my Steam library, after all...

Edit: it's back up now. Edit 2: Correction - seems to be doing its best yoyo impersonation.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Steam has gone from down to very very slow. I was able to add L4D2 to my account without a problem, it just took a few minutes of loading.

Steele
Gerbil

Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Melvar wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean about downloading stuff from the store, but my steam client is downloading stuff right now without a problem.

My apologies, I used the incorrect term. I tried clicking "Instal" for L4D2, but nothing happened. It eventually took me to an error page because it couldn't cash out the "free" purchase.
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, as of this writing, you have about 23.5 hours to catch deals

Jawes's ENCORE Recommendations:
Batman: Arkham Origins is still a good deal. Asylum and City are much better games, but if you've already played them and want more story, Origins will give you more for $25.

Saints Row IV is a blast, and $20 is a great deal. All it wants to do is show you a good time, so you should let it.

You probably should have picked up Borderlands 2 already on a previous deal, like the GOTY edition or Amazon bundle, but $7.50 is a small price to pay for hours of fun. (Note, this is a vanilla copy, meaning no DLC is included).

You should have at least played The Stanley Parable demo, so enjoy the full experience. It's back at $9.

While it may not be my thing, $7.50 will get you Skyrim or FarCry 3. Make your choice of freely roaming world or get both for twice the price! Like I said, not my particular preference, but these are great games at great prices.

Yesterday's deals are also continuing, so you should browse those titles as well. I'm seriously considering CS:GO for $3.74, Metro: Last Light for $13.59, and (even though it's not usually my thing) Skyrim.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Picked up Rise of the Triad for around 3 bucks. Good oldschool cheese with some modern shininess.

Haven't bought anything else, wallet thanks me for my mercy.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:38 pm

I've browsed the Amazon list now as well now. You can get a lot of the same deals for the Steam price, too.

Unlike Steam, you can get a Borderlands douple pack for $12, which includes the GOTY version of the first game and a vanilla copy of 2. You can also pick up the original Fable for $2.50. It's not what Molleneux promised, but nothing ever is. Still, it's a solid action RPG. You can save $1.50 on Arkham Origins, too.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

So far I've nabbed:

Van Helsing
EvoLand
Castlevania Ultimate

All of which should keep my rather occupied in between the MMOs im playing and LoL.

Kougar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Missed the 125% off promotion for Borderlands 2 stuff... wonder if they even honored those :lol:

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 am

Final damage:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Remember Me
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Counter Strike: Global Offensive

To be honest...I haven't actually played any of these yet, but I spent about $20. I've wanted to play Brothers and Remember Me for some time, and I figured I could get at least a few hours each out of Skyrim and GO.