Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

GTA V

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Soooo... Who's preordered it or will be buying it? The game is not out yet and unfortunately the PC version will be delayed as usual, even though there is no good reason to do that except perhaps Rockstar receiving a huge wads of money from both Sony and MS for "console exclusivity"...

In related news this game appears to be already heavily pirated, even though the official release hasn't happened yet and the game is only being released for consoles so far:
http://wccftech.com/gta-v-xbox-360-ps3- ... or-launch/ (this site has no links to illegal sites so should be ok). So much for "evil PC piracy", eh? :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Re: GTA V

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Mememememememe!!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Good! For those who have not - you can just watch the live playthroughs on Twitch, for example here:
http://www.twitch.tv/lirik
or here:
http://www.twitch.tv/towelliee
and other places :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I played GTA III back in the day and found the open world concept to be cool and fresh, but ultimately the gameplay didn't pull me in for any length of time and I found several of the missions difficult to the point of total frustration. I haven't really bothered with the series since. That said, I can see a lot of people are digging GTA V and that's awesome.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 am

The game has changed a lot since GTA3 days... The story is pretty interesting in the latest one, with memorable and unique playable characters (you can play 3 of them, switching from one to another as the story progresses), plus they have tried to borrow some elements from other games like RDR and Max Payne. And it's not too difficult this time - for example the driving has improved by a great degree compared to previous games, same goes for flying and other activities. Really worth it to play through at least once, though I personally will wait for a PC version - the low resolution of in-game textures is really noticeable nowadays and the PC version should improve that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:03 pm

My wife got me GTA5 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it. I just got to the point of doing a couple missions with Trevor and he's probably going to be my favorite. Definitely not a game I'll be playing when my daughter is around that's for sure.

Playing on PS3 and very impressed with the graphics. Seems to be a huge game world and pushes the very old hardware hard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Proxicon
Gerbil

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:10 pm

GTA V has been remade to appeal to the masses ala Call of Duty style. In GTA 3 when you failed a mission you respawned at a hospital and you had to essentially restart the mission over from the beginning. With GTA V the game is saved at preset places in the mission so that if you die you start on the same mission a couple of seconds from where you died so you can keep trying until you overcome the obstacle. The game is super easy now. The multiplayer is new though and adds to the replay factor for a month or so.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

The bank job in GTA4 was so hard, that I appreciate the checkpoints in GTA5. If you're looking for a hard came, you can just quit out of the mission when you die, plus you can't get a gold rating unless you finish the mission in one try and meet certain other criteria. There's plenty a completionist is missing out on if they use the checkpoints. And for normal people (me) it makes playing the game more palatable.

I love the heists and the prep work. It really feels like you're accomplishing things. I bet it will look great on the PS4 when that version comes out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 am

Finished the story missions. Chose option C. It was a ton of fun, hoping they make a PC port or bring it to the new consoles so I can play it again at 1080p. Story was fun and I really grew attached to everyone.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
bring it to the new consoles so I can play it again at upscaled 1080p 30fps.

FTFY 8)
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I played it at 720p at (mostly) 30FPS and it looked great standing still and was very responsive and playable. And according to Eurogamer it wasn't a scaled resolution; it was native 720p. If they can't get it working at 1080p60 on the new-gen consoles, it's not he consoles' fault.

Also remember it'd be a PS4 for me, not an Xbone. :p

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

As will it be for me.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I played it at 720p at (mostly) 30FPS and it looked great standing still and was very responsive and playable. And according to Eurogamer it wasn't a scaled resolution; it was native 720p. If they can't get it working at 1080p60 on the new-gen consoles, it's not he consoles' fault.

I finished the missions except for the assassinations... I was waiting for the cash from the final mission so I can multiply it on the stock market with the assassinations...

... however, the g*ddamn game is buggy, and after the final mission the phone internet was utterly broken. Can't really do stock market anymore without typing the full URL of the market page. Reallllllly annoying.

Seems to be a widespread issue. I've been waiting for them to fix it for three months now - and nothing. They are focused on extracting the maximum amount of money from GTA Online instead of fixing bugs in the story mode (because story mode clearly doesn't matter).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Dag yo. I haven't really played since I finished the story, but that would be a shame. I, too, had saved Lester's missions for the post-game. Maybe I'll just save myself some headache and will do some other side missions. I have tons of side missions waiting for me yet, almost all the freaks and strangers. If I get all that cash while I'm waiting for the post game phone to get fixed I can come back to invest everything and buy all the properties at another time. Or else never return to the game, because GTA Online is not interesting to me.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Or else never return to the game, because GTA Online is not interesting to me.

Sadly, that's how I feel. I really liked GTA5, but the internet glitch was a real bummer, and I haven't played it since. I hear Skyrim calling again..

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Is this because you tried it and didn't like it or you haven't tried it because of an aversion to online play in general?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm just not an online player. While I enjoy games, I'm just not very good at online shooters, be it with a mouse/kb or with a gamepad.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 pm

slowriot wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Is this because you tried it and didn't like it or you haven't tried it because of an aversion to online play in general?

I tried it, and it wasn't as much fun. Half the cars I tried to steal were "too good" for me to keep, according to the game, so I had to settle for some slow crappy one. The online game wants me to BUY a car with game money I get from grinding or by exchanging dollars for it. I understand that in a freemium model devs need to make some money somehow, but since I paid $60 for the damn game, I can't call it a 'freemium'. I thing it's closer to 'greedium'.

And what really bothers me that after charging me that $60, they mostly just ignore fixing bugs in the standard, off-line story mode, so they can focus on bugs on their greedium content. I'm wondering if I should even recommend the game to my PC gamer buddies (assuming it will be ported some day) because the way I see it, for $60 you get nothing but a broken game and the right to pay more for a less broken online version of it.
Last edited by NeelyCam on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Dag yo. I haven't really played since I finished the story, but that would be a shame. I, too, had saved Lester's missions for the post-game. Maybe I'll just save myself some headache and will do some other side missions. I have tons of side missions waiting for me yet, almost all the freaks and strangers. If I get all that cash while I'm waiting for the post game phone to get fixed I can come back to invest everything and buy all the properties at another time. Or else never return to the game, because GTA Online is not interesting to me.

You know, just try it. Mine broke immediately after the last mission, but some people don't seem to have that problem. One theory is that one of the side missions (almost all of which I completed) triggers the glitch.. maybe you're still ok.