Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: I needed a new distro

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Seaumas2 wrote:
Since MInt does not come with xterm (and I don't know why)

Mint comes with a much more feature rich terminal emulator.

If you are into idol worship, no less that Richard Stallman likes it. Mint is a child of the Free Software Foundation which stallman created.

This is not correct. RMS and the FSF do not endorse Mint or Ubuntu. Check out FSF: "Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other Systems" and FSF:"GNU/Linux Distros" for explanations on why the FSF and RMS do not endorse them.

Arch Linux is not like anything you have ever come across.

Arch takes it's inspiration from the BSDs.

For the highly adventurous there is an OS that is so new and odd that it will take time to know. Its called "Haiku" and its a live distro.

Haiku is a MIT licensed re-implementation of BeOS R5. BeOS was, and really still is, an amazing OS.

You know, many of didn't go to Linux because we got sick of Microsoft, but many did. We got into Linux because it was fresh, revolutionary, small and wiry and 'in your face'. and, of course, its free, but not as in "free beer".

Most servers in the world are now Ubuntu.

Surprisingly this isn't entirely false. Debian still has the top spot for marketshare, but Ubuntu is in second. Amazingly, Gentoo has been on an up swing since April '13. Who are these companies using Gentoo, and will they hire me?

Historical trends in the usage of Linux versions for websites
http://w3techs.com/technologies/history ... s/os-linux

Usage statistics and market share of Linux for websites
http://w3techs.com/technologies/details ... ux/all/all

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Amazingly, Gentoo has been on an up swing since April '13. Who are these companies using Gentoo, and will they hire me?

Historical trends in the usage of Linux versions for websites
http://w3techs.com/technologies/history ... s/os-linux

Usage statistics and market share of Linux for websites
http://w3techs.com/technologies/details ... ux/all/all

As a long-time Gentoo user (though not at the moment), I'd guess some folks like the more modular deps-set-at-install-time aspect of it, and the compile times are becoming less and less relevant as the hardware keeps speeding up.

Just a guess, though.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Slackware is not popular? Oh my.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Forge wrote:
As a long-time Gentoo user (though not at the moment), I'd guess some folks like the more modular deps-set-at-install-time aspect of it, and the compile times are becoming less and less relevant as the hardware keeps speeding up.

Only compiling in what is needed is one reason I like FreeBSD.

I keep meaning to get an Gentoo box running, but I never finish the install. I will finish an install one of these days. The urge to compile from source is just too great. :)

Is there a way to propagate binary packages to other Gentoo boxes? I know how to do this with FreeBSD, but I've been curious to know if there is a way to do this in Gentoo. (In FreeBSD, a designated build machine can create a package when compiling software from ports, and the package can be shared via an FTP or HTTP site. The rest of the boxes can install the new package using pkg_add pointed to the location of the package.)

PenGun wrote:

Indeed. It's getting beat by Gentoo of all things.

You should switch. ;)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Seems to me this degree of customizability is more valuable on an embedded platform with limited RAM and/or mass storage. For modern desktops and servers the size of the OS on disk and the memory footprint of the kernel are largely irrelevant. Disk space and RAM have both gotten cheap enough that only people with OCD care.

OTOH, a rather high percentage of computer geeks *are* afflicted with OCD to varying degrees, so there you go I guess. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Forge wrote:

I keep meaning to get an Gentoo box running, but I never finish the install. I will finish an install one of these days. The urge to compile from source is just too great. :)

Is there a way to propagate binary packages to other Gentoo boxes? I know how to do this with FreeBSD, but I've been curious to know if there is a way to do this in Gentoo. (In FreeBSD, a designated build machine can create a package when compiling software from ports, and the package can be shared via an FTP or HTTP site. The rest of the boxes can install the new package using pkg_add pointed to the location of the package.)

PenGun wrote:

Indeed. It's getting beat by Gentoo of all things.

You should switch. ;)

Never! Well ... I'm used to slak. It does what I want it to. I have a wheezy install too but I don't use it much.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Seaumas2 wrote:
You know, many of didn't go to Linux because we got sick of Microsoft, but many did. We got into Linux because it was fresh, revolutionary, small and wiry and 'in your face'.

Blah, I meant to respond to this.

I got into Linux because I like Unix and Unix-like systems, and got tired of compiling large GUI programs on a slow processor (FreeBSD + AMD Duron 1.3 + Large GUI Programs = multi-day compiles). Linux is my OS X. Compromised, but convenient.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:11 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Seems to me this degree of customizability is more valuable on an embedded platform with limited RAM and/or mass storage. For modern desktops and servers the size of the OS on disk and the memory footprint of the kernel are largely irrelevant. Disk space and RAM have both gotten cheap enough that only people with OCD care.

OTOH, a rather high percentage of computer geeks *are* afflicted with OCD to varying degrees, so there you go I guess. :wink:

A glut of computing resources and how the optimizations only produce minimal performance gains have been arguments against compiling from source for a while.

It is a little OCD. I like knowing what switches my programs were compiled with, and it's nice to know I don't have stuff that I don't need to cause security holes. Less code is better.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Yes, and it's fairly trivial to do. There's a config option you can set that causes portage to emit binary packages each time it successfully compiles a package, and if your systems have identical setups, or at least identical cflags and compiler optimizations, you can share these bin packages between them. Many moons ago I had a dual Opteron workstation and an Athlon64 gaming machine, and it was nice to let the four Opteron cores do the compiles, and have the A64 just install binpkgs.

There are also some options that allow GCC to network compile (farming out subcompilation), and other neat tricks, but with dual and quad cores now universal, and 8+ GB of memory on most systems, it's generally not worth the effort.

Last year I had a Gentoo install on my laptop that was at least 5 or 6 years old. The updating, done every week or so, took minutes, an hour tops. The only times compiles got long was when there was an X update or a new revision of one of the big WMs. With X gone modular, and light WMs being more popular, even that would be mostly gone.

I've actually been meaning to setup a Gentoo install again, but it's easier to remain on my Debian setup, and laziness and inertia are very similar.

shodanshok
Gerbil

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:51 am

Hi all,
I tried many distros, but I am basically settled on CentOS for servers and Fedora for desktops.

I like very much Debian also, but in many enterprise environment the only supported distros are RHEL (CentOS) and SUSE.

Moreover, RHEL/CentOS has some significant advantages:
- it strongly pushed SELINUX use (I know that for many sysadmin this is a _disadvantage_ but if correctly configured it contribute to a very secure system)
- the provided GUI (system-config-*) and text (system-config-*-tui) tools are very good
- the kernel tend to age gracefully, with lots of port/improvements (for example, RHEL 6.x is at 2.6.32 kernel, but it is heavy customized to include the latest XFS and KVM improvements)
- many system component receive significant updates during the lifecycle (eg: LVM recently got support for thin volumes. Debian 6, while being a 2.6.32 kernel distro, don't have them).

It obviously has some disadvantages:
- limited software selection. Often you _need_ to enable at least the EPEL repo that, while very stable, is not 100% certified by Red Hat. Sometime you even need also other less-common repos, as RPMForge and/or RPMFusion.
- the entire /etc/sysconfig affair sometime is somewhat confusing (some configuration are in /etc, other in /etc/sysconfig, other in /etc/default...)
- it has looong release cycles (RHEL 7 anyone?)

Debian is a fantastic distro with tons of software, but I feel that in my environments (basically KVM-hosts with many virtual machines) RHEL is the better choice, even because Red Hat own Quramnet, creator and main mantainer of the entire KVM infrastructure.

What I would _never_ install on a server is Gentoo Linux. I can see its appeal (I used it on my laptop with great joy), but on a server the risk of over-optimizing some package and hitting obscure bugs is simply too high to oversee.

On desktop, the choice is clearly based on other factor: I use fedora because it is familiar with RHEL, and at the same time enable me to understand in what direction RHEL is going. However, from a purely desktop experience, I feel Debian testing or Ubuntu LTS difficult to beat. Anyway, I stay away from any non-LTS Ubuntu: they are very instable in my opinion.

Happy linux to everyone ;)
www.ilsistemista.net - test & bench :)

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 am

I'll chime in my $.02.

I'm a happy Ubuntu LTS user. I don't think it's the "best," though. But out of all of the distros I like, it's the only one that updated "often" but is still kept around for a decent ammount of time. So it's stable, but progressive. That said, after 14.04 LTS, I don't think I'll be staying with it so I'm in the same boat. But that's another rant for another time. I might go to CentOS 7 when it comes out. I almost went with a paid RHEL at one point but they had some cap on memory for the desktop/client release.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 am

As I've noted in other threads, I am a (relatively) happy Ubuntu LTS user as well. I do tend to run the Kubuntu flavor though, as I find both Unity and GNOME 3 annoying in various ways.

Prior to 12.04 LTS I was running 10.04 LTS with the GNOME 2 desktop. When updates for 10.04 LTS Desktop edition ended earlier this year I debated whether to switch to 12.04 LTS or jump ship to Debian. The (new) extended 5 year support period introduced with 12.04 LTS Desktop convinced me to stick with Ubuntu for at least one more release cycle. I will probably still transition to Debian at some point; I've already been running it in VMs.

While Fedora and the non-LTS Ubuntu versions do tend to be more current on features, there's way too much churn and broken "we just decided to throw this over the fence, have fun!" type stuff for my tastes. The support period is also rather short, forcing you to upgrade to new versions frequently if you want to stay current on patches.

I would consider RHEL or one of its derivatives if I was setting up a production server. I'm more familiar with the Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem these days though, so I'm somewhat biased towards Ubuntu Server or Debian for server applications.

I'm open to futzing around with one of the more "hardcore" distros like Gentoo or Arch (or maybe even FreeBSD!) sometime, but there are only so many hours in a week and stepping outside the Ubuntu/Debian/Redhat comfort zone just isn't very high up on my priority list.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:32 pm

One of the things I like the most about Ubuntu is how easy it is to add another destop environment. When helping people get more familiar with Tux, I usually use Ubuntu with XFCE, KDE, and Unity as a starting point because you can swap an environment just by logging out and back in.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:
One of the things I like the most about Ubuntu is how easy it is to add another destop environment. When helping people get more familiar with Tux, I usually use Ubuntu with XFCE, KDE, and Unity as a starting point because you can swap an environment just by logging out and back in.

You can do that with almost any distribution. It's just X, well until Mark gets his way.

I have blackbox, fvwm2, kde, twm, wmaker, xfce as well as the fluxbox I use in my /etc/X11/xinit directory. They all run, this in Slackware 64... current I guess.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, you can, but it's very easy to do with Ubuntu. So easy, my wife can do it (note: she is not computer savvy, regardless of OS).

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:
Yes, you can, but it's very easy to do with Ubuntu. So easy, my wife can do it (note: she is not computer savvy, regardless of OS).

PenGun's point is that the ability to install and easily switch between multiple desktop environments is not an Ubuntu innovation. It's just part of the existing infrastructure they inherited from Xorg and the various DEs (via Debian).

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:56 pm

PenGun wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

Now my distribution is Slackware ...

Wow. Now there's a blast from the past! I haven't used Slackware, since I worked at a WISP startup back in the early 00s, building captive portals with Single-board computers crammed in a small NEMA enclosure, with LMR-400 running out of it to a either a Yagi or Omni antenna, that tied back in to a Slackware based server in a colo somewhere in San Antonio. Ah, those were the days. Right before WiFi became mainstream, and everybody and his brother was getting in on the game. I think I managed to shrink Slackware down to 48MB on a 64MB CompactFlash, with 16MB leftover for Read/Write.

Sorry! Didn't mean to threadjack!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:28 am

Losergamer04 wrote:

Sometimes, you insult another distro not by saying they are bad, but by implying that yours is special or unique where it is not.

Adding XFCE to my Debian install involved:

apt-get install task-xfce-desktop
logout, login.

Adding Gnome to that same install:

apt-get install task-gnome-desktop
logout, login

I could have done it all in GUI as well, if I wanted.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:37 am

Hz so good wrote:
PenGun wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

Now my distribution is Slackware ...

Wow. Now there's a blast from the past! I haven't used Slackware, since I worked at a WISP startup back in the early 00s, building captive portals with Single-board computers crammed in a small NEMA enclosure, with LMR-400 running out of it to a either a Yagi or Omni antenna, that tied back in to a Slackware based server in a colo somewhere in San Antonio. Ah, those were the days. Right before WiFi became mainstream, and everybody and his brother was getting in on the game. I think I managed to shrink Slackware down to 48MB on a 64MB CompactFlash, with 16MB leftover for Read/Write.

Sorry! Didn't mean to threadjack!

Yes you can leave out a whole lot if you want. It'll run with just a, ap, some libs and a kernel ... I think.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 am

PenGun wrote:

Yes you can leave out a whole lot if you want. It'll run with just a, ap, some libs and a kernel ... I think.

That was my first real intro to *nix, coming from a NT4 and Novell 4x and 5 background. I ended up buying some books by the original creators of unix system V, and tried to create a system from the kernel up that we could use on a SBC with one or two WiFi cards, in as little space as possible. The whole company was us 3 idiots in a closet. We were basically trying to create what Colubris and Bluesocket did, but a year or two before they even hit the market. It was a fun time. I learned an awful lot. I remember pissing off my bosses wife, because we tested our SBCs in their NEMA enclosures in the oven, to see how hot they'd get before they failed.

All the backend stuff in San Antonio was standard Rodopi, UserAuth, etc... The fun stuff was seeing just how small we could make linux, while still letting our radios and captive portals + splash pages run. Ah, good memories.

Now I'm more into the Cisco and Adtran worlds, and would like to branch out into VMWare and see how much fun I can make Data centers be.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:44 am

The first 'nix distro I used was SuSE (before OpenSUSE but after S.u.S.E.) but I was in high school and it was kind of like me flailing around blindly in the dark. I could get it going and install packages and stuff, but once I tried to do anything interesting I'd get lost, screw something up and re-install. I became very good at re-installing. :D
Since then I've used Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, and even Solaris (temporarily, I had an UltraSPARC2 box, I was a bit lost, though).
I originally started playing around with ArchLinux because I decided that I needed a project to get me more familiar with the inner workings of a Linux distro. Since then, I've found that the particularities of Arch match up pretty well with my particularities and I imagine I'll stick with Arch for quite some time. You know how that goes, though...
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

jmcknight
Gerbil

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 pm

As much as I think Ubuntu and its derivatives are good, what I don't like is that they take all of the great aspects of Debian then strip/dumb them completely down to nothing.

The installer for example; this used to be good when they pushed out the "Alternative" ISO images because it allowed for things like LVM, RAID, etc. setups. I get that these things aren't needed by all users, but it's definitely something that's kept me from seriously using Ubuntu or Mint outside of the odd testing of it via VirtualBox.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130