Steam OS

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 pm

For anyone that's running SteamOS, can you compare the performance and resource usage with a demanding game under both Steam OS and Win7 64bit on the exact same hardware? I'm just curious to see what exactly Steam OS buys you, by carving away the Windows bloat.

/I like the controller, though.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Hz so good wrote:/I like the controller, though.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130930
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20213
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:54 pm

The SteamOS has a nice kernel with some new stuff that's ONLY available there, but other than that, it's just Linux.

A few games run faster in Linux, probably all the ones where the developers put the MOST amount of effort into the port. Aren't the latest ports usually the fastest?

If you are a regular desktop Windows gamer sitting at a desk with a mouse and a keyboard, SteamOS doesn't really buy you must if anything, but then it's not targeted at you ...

Now if you are a current HTPC type gamer who's playing from the couch, SteamOS is nice. It's Big Picture Mode taken to the next level, which is basically what I think most people thought it would be. You get rid of all the Windows nonsense that you didn't really want or need while playing on your couch and yet you get the upgradability/better performance than a console. This is the target market: console players who want better performance and upgradability. I'm not sure if it will work or not, the PS4 and Xbone just came out, but at the same time, they are basically a low end PC.
keltor
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Hz so good wrote:/I like the controller, though.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130930


Sweet baby Jeebus! I think I'll stick to my 360 controller for a while longer! :P
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:40 pm

keltor wrote:The SteamOS has a nice kernel with some new stuff that's ONLY available there, but other than that, it's just Linux.

A few games run faster in Linux, probably all the ones where the developers put the MOST amount of effort into the port. Aren't the latest ports usually the fastest?

If you are a regular desktop Windows gamer sitting at a desk with a mouse and a keyboard, SteamOS doesn't really buy you must if anything, but then it's not targeted at you ...

Now if you are a current HTPC type gamer who's playing from the couch, SteamOS is nice. It's Big Picture Mode taken to the next level, which is basically what I think most people thought it would be. You get rid of all the Windows nonsense that you didn't really want or need while playing on your couch and yet you get the upgradability/better performance than a console. This is the target market: console players who want better performance and upgradability. I'm not sure if it will work or not, the PS4 and Xbone just came out, but at the same time, they are basically a low end PC.



I was just wondering, since *in theory*, it would allow me to use my pre-existing hardware to it's fullest potential. It's not the newest machine one the block , but between my i7-2600K, R7950, 8GBDDR3, SSD boot drive, and 4TB storage, it should run rings around the PS4.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Hz so good wrote:I was just wondering, since *in theory*, it would allow me to use my pre-existing hardware to it's fullest potential. It's not the newest machine one the block , but between my i7-2600K,R7950, 8GBDDR3, SSD boot drive, and 4TB storage, it should run rings around the PS4.


There's your systems Achilles heal for SteamOS (or more to the point, the linux game ports).
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Hz so good wrote:I was just wondering, since *in theory*, it would allow me to use my pre-existing hardware to it's fullest potential. It's not the newest machine one the block , but between my i7-2600K,R7950, 8GBDDR3, SSD boot drive, and 4TB storage, it should run rings around the PS4.


There's your systems Achilles heal for SteamOS (or more to the point, the linux game ports).


Yeah, I never understood Valves love for Nv only. Maybe they just have better linux drivers, I guess. Still, it would be nice to find an OS that strips away all the non-essentials, and let the power of my hardware be unleashed for a change. Sega put standard, off the shelf components to great effect in their (japan only) arcade offerings. I would be nice to be able to hang on to this box a little longer than the average upgrade cycle.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:44 pm

NVidia's proprietary binary drivers work better in Linux. That's what Valve is counting on for gaming performance for the Steam machine. Phoronix was actually able to run Steam OS with a Radeon HD6970 right out of the box.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15402
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:NVidia's proprietary binary drivers work better in Linux. That's what Valve is counting on for gaming performance for the Steam machine. Phoronix was actually able to run Steam OS with a Radeon HD6970 right out of the box.


So it's basically down to AMDs drivers sucking nards, and no amount of letter-writing or feet-stamping on our part is gonna fix that, huh? Bummer. You'd think they'd have some type of offering, since the PS4 uses their hardware and runs on linux, but I guess that's only due to Sony's effort, not AMDs... :(
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Hz so good wrote: You'd think they'd have some type of offering, since the PS4 uses their hardware and runs on linux, but I guess that's only due to Sony's effort, not AMDs... :(


The PS4 is running FreeBSD, not linux. AMD doesn't even provide drivers for FreeBSD in a public manner. Also just because the PS4 is using FreeBSD it does not mean an easy port to linux, the PS4 isn't even utilizing openGL and chances are that Sony is accessing the hardware at a much lower level then going through the X11 stack.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Hz so good wrote: You'd think they'd have some type of offering, since the PS4 uses their hardware and runs on linux, but I guess that's only due to Sony's effort, not AMDs... :(


The PS4 is running FreeBSD, not linux. AMD doesn't even provide drivers for FreeBSD in a public manner. Also just because the PS4 is using FreeBSD it does not mean an easy port to linux, the PS4 isn't even utilizing openGL and chances are that Sony is accessing the hardware at a much lower level then going through the X11 stack.



Huh, I didn't realize it was FreeBSD based. And since they aren't using OpenGL, any ideas what graphics libary they are using?
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 am

Hz so good wrote:Huh, I didn't realize it was FreeBSD based. And since they aren't using OpenGL, any ideas what graphics libary they are using?


IIRC it is a newer version of libGCM.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:48 am

Yup GPL can be a bitch. It's not hard to see why they went with FreeBSD. I mean M$ hung their network stack off it for a decade
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: BC Canada

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:55 pm

The entire point of copy-left style copyright is so that you cannot just take the code and run. The BSD style is just that they want a nod that they wrote some of the code. So really the GPL isn't a bitch, it's exactly what it's supposed to be.
keltor
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Also the PS4 has PSGL which is based on OpenGL ES v2.
keltor
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:01 pm

keltor wrote:Also the PS4 has PSGL which is based on OpenGL ES v2.


PSGL, is based off openGL ES that is true, but is different enough to prevent a straight over port. Also, for anything other then GUI screens, PSGL use in games is near non-existent.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:06 pm

keltor wrote:The entire point of copy-left style copyright is so that you cannot just take the code and run.


That's not true, it means you cannot take the code and run if you wish to redistribute (legally). It doesn't prevent an individual however from taking the source, modding the hell out of it, and mixing what ever licenses you want for your own use. In reality however, it is not hard to even redistribute copyleft code without anyone knowing the wiser. Anyone wishing to do so, could obfuscate the code enough that proving that copyleft code was used through disassembly would be next to impossible.

Copyleft only stops honest people from doing dishonorable practices.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: Steam OS

Postposted on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Hz so good wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:NVidia's proprietary binary drivers work better in Linux. That's what Valve is counting on for gaming performance for the Steam machine. Phoronix was actually able to run Steam OS with a Radeon HD6970 right out of the box.


So it's basically down to AMDs drivers sucking nards, and no amount of letter-writing or feet-stamping on our part is gonna fix that, huh? Bummer. You'd think they'd have some type of offering, since the PS4 uses their hardware and runs on linux, but I guess that's only due to Sony's effort, not AMDs... :(


AMDs drivers have come a long way this past year in terms of Linux support. I have a 7790 and with the latest Catalyst 14.3 beta driver and 3.13 kernel and I'm able to play any of the games I have without problem. There are also Open Source drivers for AMDs GPUs that are getting better every week. Valve pushing for more Linux has made them step up their game in the past year, expect the drivers to be on par with Windows in the near future.
Jahrew
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:05 pm


Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest