Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

nausicaa142
Gerbil
Topic Author

New drive making a "thumping" noise when idle

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 am

Hi!

I bought 2 WD Black 1TB (WD1002FAEX) from Newegg last month. I used 1 of the drives for my daughter's computer when we upgraded her motherboard, CPU and memory. Her drive has been running for a couple of weeks and seems fine.

Over the weekend I took her old parts and used them to build a "new" computer for me. My drive seemed fine for a couple of days but it is now making a thumping noise when it is idle (approx every 5 secs). Is this something to worry about (besides being annoying)?

Thanks for your help...

ColeLT1
Gerbil First Class

Re: New drive making a "thumping" noise when idle

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 am

I would download the WD tools and give the drive a full scan, in fact I would scan both drives that you got at the same time, they could of been tossed around too much while being shipped.
http://support.wd.com/product/download. ... =3&lang=en

I just got 2 4TB seagates, one was DOA (bent platter or head, sounded like a wire hitting a computer fan), the other "worked", but did the same thing you are describing, a tick every 5 seconds. I went ahead and ran the seatools, it failed the long test.
Main: [email protected] 1.25v/16GB DDR4-3600 15-15-15-35/RTX2080/500gb 970evox2/Custom Waterloop/Corsair 570x/AX1200i
Server: [email protected] 1.35v/16GB DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36/GTX1050ti/500gb 960evo/WD RED 6TBx2/Hyper212LED/Corsair 800d/RM850

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I would return or RMA any drive that produces strange noises/behaviors out of the box. You paid for a working drive, and why put your data at risk?

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 pm

go to the control panel and power managment:

set to power user
set to never idle the drive (no power off hdd)
set to never sleep or hibernate
make sure that the drive us secure, and the drive cage is secure.

see if the sound continues.

is it does backup with acronis and rma then dump the image back onto the new drive.

off hand .. sounds like a bad seek .. (bad head, bad platter, firmware etc etc) the the drive us resetting the actuator.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:17 pm

The blacks can have a fair amount of seek noise, especially when mounted in a resonant case. This *might* be the result of normal system activity. Does the HDD activity light flash every time there is a thump?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The blacks can have a fair amount of seek noise, especially when mounted in a resonant case. This *might* be the result of normal system activity. Does the HDD activity light flash every time there is a thump?

This...although the every 5 seconds thing worries me as HDD access is rarely that regular.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:06 pm

I have a WD Black 1TB that's from when they very first intro'd the 1TB Black (5-6 years ago?) When the drive first spins up it sounds for sure like the end of the world is coming in death by nails on chalkboard. However it's been doing that forever and still works perfectly. Use a SmartMon program and it should be able to tell you when the drive is going to fail by.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 pm

keltor wrote:
I have a WD Black 1TB that's from when they very first intro'd the 1TB Black (5-6 years ago?) When the drive first spins up it sounds for sure like the end of the world is coming in death by nails on chalkboard. However it's been doing that forever and still works perfectly. Use a SmartMon program and it should be able to tell you when the drive is going to fail by.

Yeah, I don't know about some of these earlier Black drives. I also have a 1TB Black which is a little under 4 years old. It has gradually become louder as time goes on, and is now doing hard sustained seeks. After doing some benchmark tests and finding performance to be well below my low-rpm Green drives, I pulled it, and it's going to be RMA'd. Nice to have the 5 year warranty, but would've rather not had to use it.

nausicaa142
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies

I have the WD tests running now. It will take a couple of hours to run. I'll let you know what the results are later.