Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

AMD CES 2014: Link to official press conference presentation

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Here is the link to the presentation by Lisa Su (Sr. Vice President and General Manager, AMD Business Units) from yesterday's press conference from Las Vegas, during CES 2014 week: http://www.slideshare.net/AMD/2014-ces-press-conference

I hope you'll find the document helpful; it covers lots of information, starting with our newest APU codenamed "Kaveri" (which will be on the shelves on January 14).

Edit: And here is the link to the webcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?cmpid=soc ... s16uGxQzSY
Last edited by Warsam71 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: AMD CES 2014: Link to official press conference presenta

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
(which will be on the shelved on January 14).

Shelved already? Don't give in! Never give up! Never surrender!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 pm

I had one preordered but I had to cancel it so I could pay bills :cry:
:D soooooon
Meow.

chuckula

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

BEST FREUDIAN SLIP IN HISTORY!!!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:48 pm

chuckula wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

BEST FREUDIAN SLIP IN HISTORY!!!

Oh gosh, I'm sorry, I'll make the edit right away. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I really appreciate it guys
Sam

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 pm

You do not. :lol:

I just enjoy giving people crap, it's cool.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chuckula

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Oh gosh, I'm sorry, I'll make the edit right away. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I really appreciate it guys

It's OK man! I know this must be a crazy-busy time for you guys.
Hey, quick question while you are lurking: Could you point us to any HSA demos or projects that are using HSA under Linux? I'd be interested to see programs that are incorporating HSA. I can wait if stuff is still under NDA.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:04 pm

chuckula wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Hey, quick question while you are lurking: Could you point us to any HSA demos or projects that are using HSA under Linux? I'd be interested to see programs that are incorporating HSA. I can wait if stuff is still under NDA.

Hi Chuckula,
Give me some time, I'll ask my colleagues right away and will get back to you as soon as I hear back.
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
chuckula wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Hi Chuckula,
Give me some time, I'll ask my colleagues right away and will get back to you as soon as I hear back.

Hello again Chuckula (everyone)
Quick update: I haven't heard back from my team, most of them are still in Las Vegas for CES. I'm hoping to get back to you by end of next week...

That being said, we just released a new driver yesterday, the AMD Catalyst™ 13.11 LINUX Beta V9.95 Driver, here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx (thought may come in handy while here :wink: ) BTW: I'm going to start a new thread for it in just a moment for the rest of the TTR community - I don't want to go off topic here, apologize in advance)
Sam

chuckula

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Quick update: I haven't heard back from my team, most of them are still in Las Vegas for CES. I'm hoping to get back to you by end of next week...

That being said, we just released a new driver yesterday, the AMD Catalyst™ 13.11 LINUX Beta V9.95 Driver, here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx (thought may come in handy while here :wink: ) BTW: I'm going to start a new thread for it in just a moment for the rest of the TTR community - I don't want to go off topic here, apologize in advance)

Thanks for the update! It's interesting to see SteamOS support too! Is AMD displaying any AMD-powered Steam Boxes at CES?

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:26 pm

chuckula wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Thanks for the update! It's interesting to see SteamOS support too! Is AMD displaying any AMD-powered Steam Boxes at CES?

Hello!

Yes, take a look:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429241,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429300,00.asp

Personally, I really like the Maingear Spark Steam Box (I'm referring to the first link above). Check out the dimensions... :wink:
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 pm

chuckula wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Hello,
About HSA, Linux support for HSA is forthcoming. I'll do my best to provide you more details on this front...
Sam

chuckula

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
chuckula wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Hello,
About HSA, Linux support for HSA is forthcoming. I'll do my best to provide you more details on this front...

Excellent. I'd be interested to see how it works under Linux.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:01 pm

About TrueAudio:

- It's a good thing overall. Hooking it into FMod an other middleware libraries is the right way to go, else it'd just be Yet Another Standard..
- It's good that it's got mastering limiters (and likely EQs) built in.
- I hope it succeeds and I will very much enjoy it if it does.

However:

- Their CPU utilization calculations are way off. There is no way that your current average game spends 10% on audio. That just doesn't happen. You can run very advanced VSTs with 10% CPU alone.
- I'm overall not sold on the whole "we need a dedicated DSP for this" angle. See above. We do have/had games that had incredible software audio. They were few and far between, but they exist. Example: the Battlefield series. And it's all software.

The big chicken-and-egg problem is that people in general simply don't care even 5% as much about the sound as they do about the graphics/AI/etc. I am picturing a lot of reactions like "yeah this sounds really nice, but it's not the end-it-all it's claimed to be. More FPS, please."
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

LostCat

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:12 pm

morphine wrote:
The big chicken-and-egg problem is that people in general simply don't care even 5% as much about the sound as they do about the graphics/AI/etc. I am picturing a lot of reactions like "yeah this sounds really nice, but it's not the end-it-all it's claimed to be. More FPS, please."

Most people haven't really even had a choice in years. I'll take premium audio features, especially ones included in hardware I was going to buy anyway, over ones I have to pay $80+ for that most of the time don't even do much.

I've long been of the opinion GPU driven audio is where we should've been going instead of throwing everything back to software.

(I liked OpenAL on a similar note, but the few devs I talked to about it seemed very disappointed in its stability.)
Meow.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:32 pm

I look forward to games that take advantage of TrueAudio.
And I'm a big fan of integrated systems; especially when it helps with keeping the cost low. I remember spending money on sound cards (like those by Creative Labs) as they were practically a must-have for gaming; and was thankful to see them being integrated in motherboards. I don't use a headset when gaming so if I can get more realistic sound effects when playing a FPS, sims or racing games through a dedicated processor in my gpu, well it will be a welcomed extra feature for me.
Sam

the Lionheart
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
And I'm a big fan of integrated systems; especially when it helps with keeping the cost low. I remember spending money on sound cards (like those by Creative Labs) as they were practically a must-have for gaming; and was thankful to see them being integrated in motherboards. I don't use a headset when gaming so if I can get more realistic sound effects when playing a FPS, sims or racing games through a dedicated processor in my gpu, well it will be a welcomed extra feature for me.

1- When's the Mantle version of BF4 coming out and is it HSA aware?

2- Is AMD wokring on extending TressFX to a fully fledged decent physics engine optimized for APUs?

LostCat

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 pm

the Lionheart wrote:
1- When's the Mantle version of BF4 coming out

(while I don't represent AMD)
my best guess is at the same time the drivers are released
Meow.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:26 pm

the Lionheart wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

2- Is AMD wokring on extending TressFX to a fully fledged decent physics engine optimized for APUs?

Hello Lionheart (everyone)

1 - The Mantle version of BF4 is coming out this month
2 - I'm going to look into this in a moment for you...(including your HSA question about Mantle)
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
the Lionheart wrote:
Warsam71 wrote:

Hello Lionheart (everyone)

1 - The Mantle version of BF4 is coming out this month
2 - I'm going to look into this in a moment for you...(including your HSA question about Mantle)

Hello again everyone,

1 - As mentioned the Mantle version of BF4 is coming out this month. In addition (about HSA), the upcoming Catalyst driver (13.35 Beta Driver), which is also slated for this month, will add support for HSA.

2 - We've recently expanded the TressFX functionality with ver. 2.0. You can find more information about these updates here: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks ... adeon-sdk/ (make sure to read the PDF file “TressFX11” found in the zip folder). Also, keep an eye open for an AMD blog that will provide more information about the changes and improvements. We're planning to release this blog in the next 2 - 3 weeks, and will be posted here: http://community.amd.com/welcome
Sam

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Sam I have a couple questions for you, I can't really get this information anywhere else right now.

If I have a system where I have a Kaveri chip in it, alongside an older GCN graphics card like the 7000 series or the rebrands in the new series, can I still use TrueAudio? Will games be able to use the TrueAudio DSP in my cpu or will it not work? If it will work then Is it handled by the driver or will application developers need to make changes themselves to enable this functionality?

Importantly If it works then

Will I have to run in a crossfire setup in order to make this happen?

Will there be a performance hit to doing it this way over a situation where you'd be using it with silicon on the card?

Will it be feature-incomplete, will it only work in a scaled back or limited way, or will some features not be available this way?

I'll pm this to you as well in case that's helps it get your attention.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 pm

fhohj wrote:
Sam I have a couple questions for you, I can't really get this information anywhere else right now.

If I have a system where I have a Kaveri chip in it, alongside an older GCN graphics card like the 7000 series or the rebrands in the new series, can I still use TrueAudio? Will games be able to use the TrueAudio DSP in my cpu or will it not work? If it will work then Is it handled by the driver or will application developers need to make changes themselves to enable this functionality?

Importantly If it works then

Will I have to run in a crossfire setup in order to make this happen?

Will there be a performance hit to doing it this way over a situation where you'd be using it with silicon on the card?

Will it be feature-incomplete, will it only work in a scaled back or limited way, or will some features not be available this way?

I'll pm this to you as well in case that's helps it get your attention.

Hello fhohj

I separated your questions a little...see below:

Q - If I have a system where I have a Kaveri chip in it, alongside an older GCN graphics card like the 7000 series or the rebrands in the new series, can I still use TrueAudio?
A - To use TrueAudio, you'll need to have a Radeon R9 or R7 200 series GPU, specifically TrueAudio is available on systems equipped with a 4th gen desktop A10 series processor, or Radeon R7 260X/R9 290/290X GPU. By the way, TrueAudio remains enabled on 4th Gen desktop A10 processors when you add a discrete GPU, in fact any dGPU.

Q - Will games be able to use the TrueAudio DSP in my cpu or will it not work?
A - I’m assuming you have an A10-7850K or A10-7700K. If so, then yes, the APU will support TrueAudio since TrueAudio’s DSP is in the GPU of the APU.

Q - If it will work then Is it handled by the driver or will application developers need to make changes themselves to enable this functionality?
A - It’s handled by the driver, which needs to be updated by the developer to take advantage of TrueAudio. In other words, game developers and application programmers will need to write (or update) their code to use TrueAudio for the hardware acceleration to be used on supported products in combination with TrueAudio enabled driver (i.e. the Catalyst 14.1 Beta - which is coming soon).

Q - Will I have to run in a crossfire setup in order to make this happen?
A - No, Crossfire is not required to run TrueAudio.

Q - Will there be a performance hit to doing it this way over a situation where you'd be using it with silicon on the card?
A - I’m not too clear about this question. But in general, running TrueAudio won’t affect the CPU or the GPU since the TrueAudio technology is handled independently by the driver that controls the dedicated DSP. In other words, the driver is programmed to recognize and manage the TrueAudio DSP in the GPU. In short, there is no performance penalty running TrueAudio on an APU vs. a discrete GPU.

Q - Will it be feature-incomplete, will it only work in a scaled back or limited way, or will some features not be available this way?
A - Nope, simply put if TrueAudio is featured in your GPU (or APU), then you're good to go.
Sam

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:33 pm

thanks for the fast response, sam. I didn't expect one until Monday at the soonest. thanks a lot :)

you pretty much answered all my questions.

I'll offer a couple clarifications for the ones that I didn't get across, but it's mostly just academic at this point.

When I asked about the driver and developers, what I wanted to know was, in a situation where you'd be running a game on your discrete video card (without TrueAudio supported), but you'd be running the game's audio on the cpu's TrueAudio, would developers need to write additional TrueAudio code to support that kind of configuration, instead of just the one video card with TrueAudio? Or, would just doing the TrueAudio in their engine work the same and Catalyst would put things where they needed to go.

As for the question you weren't clear on, about the performance loss, again, it was the same thing. Would running a game with the graphics on the video card, but the audio on the DSP in the IGP, cause any performance issues, over doing it both on a video card that supports it.

But like I said those two questions were pretty much answered as well implicitly.

Thanks again.

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 pm

fhohj wrote:
thanks for the fast response, sam. I didn't expect one until Monday at the soonest. thanks a lot :)

you pretty much answered all my questions.

I'll offer a couple clarifications for the ones that I didn't get across, but it's mostly just academic at this point.

When I asked about the driver and developers, what I wanted to know was, in a situation where you'd be running a game on your discrete video card (without TrueAudio supported), but you'd be running the game's audio on the cpu's TrueAudio, would developers need to write additional TrueAudio code to support that kind of configuration, instead of just the one video card with TrueAudio? Or, would just doing the TrueAudio in their engine work the same and Catalyst would put things where they needed to go.

As for the question you weren't clear on, about the performance loss, again, it was the same thing. Would running a game with the graphics on the video card, but the audio on the DSP in the IGP, cause any performance issues, over doing it both on a video card that supports it.

But like I said those two questions were pretty much answered as well implicitly.

Thanks again.

Great, glad to be of help. Have a great weekend :wink:
Sam