Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Looking for a Replacement for Acronis Disk Director

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:38 am

Hello.

About a year ago, I moved from Acronis True Image to Macrium Reflect, and it was a great decision. True Image has had a history of being unreliable and Acronis was not being responsive. Plus, it's 2014 and Acronis STILL hasn't updated Disk Director 11 for use with Windows 8. Despite fresh promises on their forum, I have decided that they are just not serving the customer very well and now may be the time for me to make the jump to an alternative.

Here's what I need:

Ability to size, resize, and move disk partitions.
Ability to work with MBR and GPT partitions.
Ability to work with Linux partitions and (eventually one day) Mac partition types.
Ability to be put onto a thumbdrive or CD/DVD (yep, I still have them) for booting.
Ability to clone a partition or entire hard drive.
Ability to work seamlessly with any disk type whether it's hard drive, solid state, or hybrid.
Flexible licensing to allow me to use the product on all my personal computers without being $50'd and $100'd to death.

I don't use disk partitioning tools all that often, but once in a blue moon I need one. It's getting to be time for me to source a larger backup drive and move my current backup drive into place as a main drive, so a blue moon is fast approaching.

Recommendations needed and appreciated...

deputy dawg
Gerbil

Re: Looking for a Replacement for Acronis Disk Director

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 am

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:57 am

deputy dawg wrote:

That kinda looks like it's just a different face on Disk Management / diskpart.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am

Thank you for the suggestion.

I looked at their website. Looks like it's a very small company. And I found on their forum a post that said the program does not support Truecrypt yet. Oops. Forgot to add that requirement...

Needs to support drives encrypted with the most common encryption products such as Truecrypt or Bitlocker.

After I add a bigger drive, I'd like to implement encryption on this system, because ... well, it's about time. :D

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 am

Out of curiosity, what is stopping you from using GParted, especially if you require use from bootable media?

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is stopping you from using GParted, especially if you require use from bootable media?

I didn't know about it. Hence, the reason for this thread. :oops: 8)

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Hello, looping around to followup:

I downloaded and tried Gparted. Nice. Good. But very slow. Acronis Disk Director took only half the time to complete the same operations, especially those having to do with moving data (sliding partitions to right or left with or without a resize).

I kept bootable discs for both products; will continue to use Acronis for now because my partitions are already huge and can take all night to reposition, don't want it to be down all night AND all day (which is why I partition and why I also put unallocated space in between partitions so that small adjustments can be made with a minimum of downtime).

Thank you for the suggestion and I will keep tabs on both tools and their new versions as they are released.