Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Hsldn
Gerbil
Topic Author

How to burnin test the Graphics Card?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I used to use the MSI Kombustor , but the msi site doesn't show the lastest version. Heaven benchmark doesn't seem bad. But are there other alternatives that will stress the gpu?

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How to burnin test the Graphics Card?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Furmark, and RTHDRIBL are two I still go to from time to time.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Unless you've removed the stock heatsink and changed the thermal paste for something that cures/sets, there's no point in "burning in" your graphics card other than to keep your room warm in the winter months.

The only thing you're doing is wearing out the fan bearings and pushing up your electricity bill.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:35 pm

GPU-Z has some nice stress test tools as does the EVGA Precision software, although I don't know if it supports other manufacturers cards.
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

Hsldn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Unless you've removed the stock heatsink and changed the thermal paste for something that cures/sets, there's no point in "burning in" your graphics card other than to keep your room warm in the winter months.

The only thing you're doing is wearing out the fan bearings and pushing up your electricity bill.

I bought a Asus R290 graphics card a few days ago. I'm getting the "black screen " problem. I'm trying to find out if the problem can be replacated under certain conditions . Thats why i need a burnin test.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Hsldn wrote:
Thats why i need a burnin test.

Burnin test: Bob Marley
Burn-in test: GPU-Z/Furmark
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 am

Alternatively, you could set up a folding client.

:)
Chrispy_ wrote:

I call BS on both of these.

I've been running F@H for 7 months now. Fan bearings have not yet worn out. Electric bill is a little higher so that part is true, but only because I fold 24/7. Running a test for 24 or 48 hours won't significantly shorten the lifespan of any of his components and won't significantly increase his electric bill. If he has a failure, I'd say it's probably due to malfunctioning hardware!

For me, yes; both bearings and electric will matter, but only over the long term. At some point, I will start an MTBF type thread to discuss these issues. But in the meantime, let's avoid putting the fear into people who just want to run a test. :roll:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:28 am

I just interpreted burnin test as burning-in, which is a pointless activity.

Stress testing, you can't beat Furmark (or Kombustor - a re-skinned Furmark) for pushing a GPU's power and cooling stability, IMO.
The fact it measures temperatures, voltages, power draw and fan RPM natively is exceptionally helpful in isolating exactly what the weakness is if there's any instability.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am

Hsldn wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

I bought a Asus R290 graphics card a few days ago. I'm getting the "black screen " problem. I'm trying to find out if the problem can be replacated under certain conditions . Thats why i need a burnin test.

This is a known issue with these latest AMD GPUs. Try the latest beta drivers. If they won't resolve "black screen" problem - replace the card. Using "burn-in" programs such as FurMark is really useless because they don't really "stress" stuff anymore - your video card will start to throttle down at certain point regardless of your cooling setup. Just play normal games like BF4 and such.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 am

do you have OD enabled? disable it

OD = overdrive

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

Hsldn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
This is a known issue with these latest AMD GPUs. Try the latest beta drivers. If they won't resolve "black screen" problem - replace the card. Using "burn-in" programs such as FurMark is really useless because they don't really "stress" stuff anymore - your video card will start to throttle down at certain point regardless of your cooling setup. Just play normal games like BF4 and such.

I can't replace the card easily, i didnt buy the card from an online store. And stores only have to replace or refund if the hardware is nonfunctioning. "black screens" occur very infrequently . if i send the card to their tech service, they will just send it back to me , saying that it works fine. Thats why i am trying to find a way to recreate the error.

SoM wrote:
do you have OD enabled? disable it

OD = overdrive

I disabled it. And i uninstall all the other applications that monitores temperatures etc (like gpu tweak, hwmonitor, msi afterburner, Asus ai ) . for 3 days no BSOD , no black screen . So far looks like a a driver problem .

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Thank you for the followup status. :)

Hsldn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm

JohnC wrote:
[q
This is a known issue with these latest AMD GPUs. Try the latest beta drivers. If they won't resolve "black screen" problem - replace the card.

Is there any official info about this "black screen" problem?
I just the sent the card back to RMA . I suspect this is some kind of a hardware problem. Changing settings from drivers, bios etc made the problem less frequent , but didn't solve it.