Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Used PS3: Gamestop vs. ???

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Now that next-gen is out and driving prices down I'm thinking about getting a Playstation 3 to fool around with this whole console thing. Specifically I want the 160GB CECH-30xxx "slim" model from right before they switched to the very meh-looking final revision. The obvious choice here is Gamestop since they have a substantial used-games division, and their site offers the model I want as both "pre-owned" and "Gamestop Premium Refurbished" and some of the older PS3s are billed as just "Gamestop Refurbished". Anyone know the difference between these three designations? Anyone had a good/bad experience from buying a used Gamestop console? It's not hard to find Gamestop hate on the internets but it is surprisingly hard to find Gamestop hate backed up with evidence. Should I go into town to check the brick-and-mortar locations for a better deal or stick to the website?

I'm also open to suggestions on where else I should be looking, new or used.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Used PS3: Gamestop vs. ???

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:49 pm

...With the amount of "repaired" playstations I personally know of that have been traded in to gamestop I'd focus more on the warranty that comes with it wherever you buy it.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Supposedly it's only 30 days (and nothing for "pre-owned") though the product listing doesn't say anything at all about a warranty. Amazon sells it new for $300 through an affiliate but aside from that I'm having a hard time coming up with other vendors.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:04 pm

You'll probably do just as well picking up a used ps3 on craigslist, you'll probably score a bunch of games for near nothing as well. Gamestop is buying ps3's for 100 or less, and games for 20 or less, they're your competition in the used market.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:11 pm

I would get a new one if I could. It's possible that a local store still has one that hasn't been sold. That way, you know the history and can contact Sony if it goes belly-up for no reason.

Still, if you end up getting anything pre-owned, go to the store. It doesn't look available online, but I know that GameStop used to upsell warranties on used systems to extend from 30 days to a full year. Not sure what that would run you, but it would give you some peace of mind.

Lastly, I have no idea what is up with the "refurbished" terminology now. Prior to the 360/PS3/Wii era, it would mean that the system had stopped working and was fixed. With hard drives in the mix, stores would have to send anything that could store music, movies, etc. off to get wiped at a warehouse (was really dumb), and would get returned as "refurbished." Now Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are all selling refurbished systems directly as well. I guess these are more likely to be the "system broke and was fixed" variety, but you still can't look up a console's history the way you can with a car.

So again, get a new one if possible.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Hmm...that made me think about Best Buy, since I live a few miles from their HQ, and sure enough they say they've got it in stock. I'll have to check them out, it's probably the best option and they might even have some leftover bundles at one of the stores or local warehouses.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:33 pm

On a used PS3 or Xbox priced at $199 or under, the warranty is $20 extra. About a year ago my 5-year-old PS3 bit it and I got a used slim 120GB for $199 and that's what it ran me. I've still got about 3 weeks on it (got it in early-mid April) and it's been solid for me. The only thing I don't dig about their used consoles is the used controllers. They're varying in quality though they all work. Some analog sticks are looser than others. In my case I already had 2 other controllers so it didn't but me but before you leave the store get the controller out and feel it up.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen