Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

TP-Link is making a consumer VDSL2 router

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 pm

This hasn't gotten much press, but it was at CES and it's a big deal for everyone who cares about high-speed DSL since currently the ISP's crappy OEM solution is the only option. I wasn't able to get a picture and they wouldn't elaborate on many specifics other than saying retailers will get it later this year, but the feature set and build quality suggest a ~$100-150 all-in-one.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: TP-Link is making a consumer VDSL2 router

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Here on Bell Canada's infrastructure we potentially need ones that are compatible with Lucent Stinger pre-VDSL2 remotes. The latest one to come out is the SmartRG and that seems to be getting good reviews. If you don't need the router part and know you are on an Alcatel 7330 real VDSL2 remote, the Huawei one is quite popular.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:24 pm

VDSL2 would be friggin sweet to have, but you have to remember how quickly it degrades with distance (like 3300 ft or so). An ISP could always bond pairs together to get around that (I've done that with SHDSL links for EFM before), but knowing AT&T and Version, et al, they'll charge an arm and a leg for it. I've got a feeling they'll go for LR-VDSL2 first, to try and max out capacity at the DSLAMs first, before upgrading the connections, and rolling out VDSL2 proper.

/Why no, I'm not cynical about Telcos! Not one bit... ;)

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25 am

Bell Canada has remote DSLAMs attached to the JWI's on the street corners to help cut down on the distance issue. Tough luck for those in the sticks though.