Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Made my first buffalo wings... have a question

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Made my first yummy buffalo wings tonight. I made three batches, each better than the last, with room for improvement.

Pic is of the first batch (and the corner of my Type Heaven keyboard) which was a little overdone (the wings), but still delicious (the keyboard).

For deep frying, I used an induction burner, pot, store-brand canola oil, and a probe thermometer that went up to 400* F (not great, but that's all I have). I set the induction burner to 390* F. Some weird things happened, and I was wondering if any culinary physicists here could shed some light on what's going on.

The burner is set for 390* F. 6 cups of canola oil, and 10 wings that started at room temperature. The oil temperature climbs slowly up to 390*, then as soon as it gets there, I add the wings. Immediately the thermometer shoots up to 400* (its max) and sits there for a minute or so, then drops slowly to ~340*. The thermometer doesn't reach 390* again until the food has been in the oil for 8 minutes. Once it gets back there, it slowly makes its way past 400*, so I lower the induction burner to the next lowest setting, 360*, and let it fry for a few minutes.

1. Why does the temperature surge upwards immediately after I add the wings?

2. Is there a trick to keeping the oil hot, or heating it back up more quickly? The 'net is telling me that to deep fry For Real, the oil can't drop below 400*. I'm already using more oil than the recipe calls for in an attempt to keep it hotter, but it's clearly not working.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Made my first buffalo wings... have a question

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:11 pm

Personally I use peanut oil at 350 for 15 min, non-breaded and mine come out fine. But everyone has their own recipe.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Mmm... wings. Never made 'em myself, but love eating them! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:57 am

tanker27 wrote:
Personally I use peanut oil at 350 for 15 min, non-breaded and mine come out fine. But everyone has their own recipe.

Maybe 350* isn't as bad as I've been reading, then? I'll experiment with other oils and see what it does to the taste of the wings.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 am

To keep the temperature even the answer is larger volume of oil or fewer wings in the fryer at a time.

The temperature drop is caused by the rapid evaporation of the liquid in the wing. you are far past the temperature for evaporation of water so it goes rapidly taking a lot of your heat with it.

The spike could be localized temperature variances as your burner tries to get you back up to temperature or some issue with your thermometer... is it meant for oil? with it's max being 400 any temperature past that could be anything... 401* could look like 450.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 am

I make buffalo chicken dip which is easier. Frank's sauce, ranch dressing, cream cheese, shredded roasted chicken, shredded cheese on top.

But I salute your efforts. Sounds like fun to experiment with them.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:47 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I make buffalo chicken dip which is easier. Frank's sauce, ranch dressing, cream cheese, shredded roasted chicken, shredded cheese on top.

OMG that sounds awesome. Must have.

Can you expound on ratios?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

Arvald wrote:
To keep the temperature even the answer is larger volume of oil or fewer wings in the fryer at a time.

The temperature drop is caused by the rapid evaporation of the liquid in the wing. you are far past the temperature for evaporation of water so it goes rapidly taking a lot of your heat with it.

The spike could be localized temperature variances as your burner tries to get you back up to temperature or some issue with your thermometer... is it meant for oil? with it's max being 400 any temperature past that could be anything... 401* could look like 450.

I'm looking for a better thermometer now. It has to be analog, since the induction burner I'm using messes with nearby electronic equipment, like my ThermoWorks probe. Amazon reviews for analog thermometers are scaring me...

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

+1

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 pm

I do a dry buffalo wing, with a fun little tangy dip.

Its way easy. Here it is for anyone who wants it:

40-50 wing
2 Tbs Chinese 5 Spice
1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Mix it all in a ziploc bag and let it sit for 1-4 hours. Cook at 500 degrees for 25 minutes on a foil covered pan.

The dip is a equal mix of non fat greek yogurt, fat free mayo, and fat free sour cream. About 1/3 cup each. Juice of one lemon. 1/3 cup of cilantro. Mix it all together.

This is about as healthy as they get. And with them being dry, clean up is a snap.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Sounds incredible. I'm totally going to try this.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Here is the recipe for the buffalo chicken dip:

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/fra ... dip-RE1242

I use ranch as opposed to bleu cheese and shredded mexican cheese or whatever kind. I prefer the buffalo wings sauce, not the cayenne pepper sauce. You can tweak the sauce ratio to taste. I prefer buying a rotisserie or smoked whole chicken and shredding it by hand, which gives a good edge to the rest of the flavors in the dish.

We usually serve in a mini-crock pot with scoopable chips. It's good but the recipe makes a good amount. You need a small group who like it or you will have a lot of leftovers.

Not a healthy dish, but a good dish for Superbowl parties and the like. I prefer it warm which is why we use the crockpot.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:13 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
This is about as healthy as they get. And with them being dry, clean up is a snap.

I also like dry-rub wings. Another "healthier" alternative is to grill your wings. However, if you don't have a grill with very even heat (and even if you do), grilling a whole bunch of wings can be a pain trying to micromanage each and avoid burning due to fat flare ups. However, when they turn out, I generally prefer bbq'd wings over deep fried.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm

cynan wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

I also like dry-rub wings. Another "healthier" alternative is to grill your wings. However, if you don't have a grill with very even heat (and even if you do), grilling a whole bunch of wings can be a pain trying to micromanage each and avoid burning due to fat flare ups. However, when they turn out, I generally prefer bbq'd wings over deep fried.

From experience doing 200 wings on a BBQ... the smoke is crazy... I laid a smoke screen that covered the entire street when I was in University...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

2 cans Costco chicken
1 stick cream cheese
double handful of shredded sharp cheddar
2-3 good glugs of ranch or blue cheese (assuming bottle doesn't have squirter)
Frank's to personal taste (more is better)

Combine in saucepan and heat on low until it all comes together. Be patient melting the cream cheese.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22 pm

cynan wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

Micromanage is right... As much as I love grilling almost anything, I've never liked grilling wings. They taste awesome, but it's just tedious having to watch each one constantly. Now, if someone else wants to stand there and watch wings, I completely support their decision :)

GeneMosher
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:40 pm

In the late 60's I worked at the Avenue Sub Shop in Buffalo, New York, which was then almost directly across the street from Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar, where Buffalo Wings were first created. Dominic, their son, taught me in about 5 seconds how to make and to enjoy Buffalo Wings. All we used was butter and Durkee's hot sauce, tossing the just-deep-fried wings in a metal bowl. If anyone goes here http://americanfood.about.com/u/r/od/ap ... icwing.htm they will see lots of people from Buffalo in the comments verifying this.

Gene Mosher
ViewTouch

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Hawkwing74 and Captain Ned - thx for that.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 pm

GeneMosher wrote:
In the late 60's I worked at the Avenue Sub Shop in Buffalo, New York, which was then almost directly across the street from Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar, where Buffalo Wings were first created. Dominic, their son, taught me in about 5 seconds how to make and to enjoy Buffalo Wings. All we used was butter and Durkee's hot sauce, tossing the just-deep-fried wings in a metal bowl. If anyone goes here http://americanfood.about.com/u/r/od/ap ... icwing.htm they will see lots of people from Buffalo in the comments verifying this.

Gene Mosher
ViewTouch

My first job post-college (Jan 1986) and in the town I now live in was working for a wings joint. Their sauce levels were mild, medium, hurt me, and hurt me bad. Hurt me was the base sauce, made by mixing 4 gallon jars of Franks Red Hot with 1 gallon of lemon juice (it was more like hoping you could find an empty jar or two and play alchemist, but I digress). Mild & medium had butter added to hurt me (in proportions that depended on how stoned Dwayne was that night), while hurt me bad was 3/4 gallon of hurt me, 1 12oz bottle of Tabasco, a pint of vegetable oil into which a 4oz container of red pepper flakes had been dumped, set out on an electric hot plate on low-low and left alone overnight (safety wasn't our thing) and strained into the jug, plus generous helpings of cayenne and chili powders. I should have known what I was getting into when the owner made me sign a trade secrets notice when I signed on. When the co-founder left 2 months later, I should have taken note of that. My last 3 months were "odd", as remaining owner was psychotic. Any down time extending past 2 minutes meant dragging out a head of celery or some carrots and mindlessly peeling/chopping/slicing. Damn lucky all my digits are intact.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm

I had a similar experience, Ned. I worked at a little shady sports bar in high school in the kitchen. Our sauce was the same, and mixed with butter for the mild/medium, though the hot hot sauce was different. We'd roll the wings in flour, deep fry 'em, and pull em out half way then stick them in the walk-in. Then when an order came up, we'd throw them back in for about 4 min till they got golden brown, dump them in a big bowl and coat with sauce. Voila. They weren't half bad either.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:50 am

So this is my wings recipe:

1 1/2 cups hot sauce (your choice, I have used Tabasco and Texas Pete; I prefer Texas Pete)
1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3/4 tablespoon garlic powder

3 pounds chicken wings
Peanut oil, for frying

Mix the ingredients; add wings to a ziploc bag pour mix over them and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, preferably over night.

Prep oil, 350 degrees

Remove wings from the bag and let them drain on a paper towel lined plate.

Add to Oil cook for 15 -17 min.

These are naked (non-breaded) I find that since you soak them overnight there really is no need for a sauce. The wings will be quite spicy by themselves. But if you want a sauce here is a really good favorite of mine:

1 stick salted butter, softened
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 cup sweet Asian chili sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 am

All these recipes and stories are great, but no one's yet talked about that horrid fried oil smell that permeates your house after you deep fry something. How do you get rid of that smell? I can't open the windows 'cause I'll freeze. Any ideas?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 am

FireGryphon wrote:
All these recipes and stories are great, but no one's yet talked about that horrid fried oil smell that permeates your house after you deep fry something. How do you get rid of that smell? I can't open the windows 'cause I'll freeze. Any ideas?

I have a closed fry daddy with a filter on it. this one. It pretty much works. If the fry smell still lingers set out a bowl of Vinegar, in a few hours it will 'soak' up the smell and de-oderize the room, and no it doesnt leave behind a vinegary smell. It's magic.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 am

I Do it out side in our screen house with a big burner "the kind for crab,corn and deep fried turkeys" hooked to a propane tank.

The smell still permeates the cooker so a shower is in order along with a change of clothes. So Pre cook them and reheat in the oven.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am

vargis14 wrote:
I Do it out side in our screen house with a big burner "the kind for crab,corn and deep fried turkeys" hooked to a propane tank.

Otherwise known as a brewing burner. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

Boilovers are so much easier to clean on the deck compared to the stove.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

Boilovers are so much easier to clean on the deck compared to the stove.

Though you do need to be careful if you have dogs, if the boilover occurs after hops have been added to the kettle.