Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

HorseIicious
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

27" Korean IPS monitor issue

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I have a Crossover 27" monitor (2720 MDP Gold). Recently it has developed this flicker issue (two links below). The first link shows the issue at the 1 second and 18 second marks - the second video shows the issue (more exaggerated than I'm experiencing) throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfzYzKWLko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wS1_MHUp98

I've found scarce information on what the cause is and/or what part(s) need replacing. I'm guessing it's some sort of logic board. If I knew what the part that needed replacing was at least I'd have somewhere to start. Any ideas?

Thanks

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: 27" Korean IPS monitor issue

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 am

I wonder if bad caps could do that. After watching the video it looks very reminiscent to the Samsung TV issue were some capacitors went bad. In fact I had a Samsung TV that did have bad caps. I bought new ones and soldered them on myself. It wasnt a pretty solder job but it worked.

My suggestion, at least open it up and look at the boards and see if you see anything out of the ordinary......bulging or even leaking caps. Another thought I have is it could be a cable issue. Try a different cable.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:26 am

I just ordered two cap kits for a pair of Viewsonic 22" LCDs on Saturday. Both have the same issues - will not power up when the button is pressed, but may power up after repeated tries. I disassembled both and there are 4 caps that are bulging or leaking outright. The repair kits provide 7 caps, and it is advised that you replace ALL 7 caps, not just the ones you see that are bad. The newer caps are better quality ones, so these should be better than new once I've got the soldering done.

Don't be stressed out on a repair either. They aren't that difficult to get apart or repair. For $20, I got two 22" LCDs, hows that for a deal !?? Best bet is to google your monitor, looking for 'Tube videos or disassembly and/or repair. Be aware that caps can still hold a charge, even after being off for a while, so exercise caution when working on the board that holds the caps and power plug.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

HorseIicious
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for the insight guys. I should have mentioned, but I have narrowed the problem down to the monitor itself (tested it with different power supply, different display cables, and different video cards - all with the same issue). So I'll crack it open and see what the caps look like. Thanks again for the responses.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 am

If you have done all of that then its more than likely bad caps. Again dont be scared to try and replace them yourself its very easy as long as you are careful it shouldn't be too much of an issue for you soldering them yourself. (if the issue is bad caps)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!