Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Zaeem
Gerbil
Topic Author

Confused among GPU brands

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 am

Hello everyone!
I'm a bit confused regarding so many different GPU brands available in the market today, like Sapphire, EVGA, XFX, Gigibyte & HIS (to name a few). Besides providing custom coolers and better clock speeds (than others), what is the general guideline to follow when buying a new GPU?
As an example, I was considering to buy a R9-280x, but I have to choose from a Gigabyte, Sapphire and HIS. Which one should I go with and why? I have heard that Gigabyte version has some flickering issues with it and all. Is it true?
Please help! Thanks!

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Confused among GPU brands

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 am

When it comes to AMD I like HIS, ASUS, MSI, Sapphire and gigabyte then XFX.

Nvidia EVGA, then MSI then ASUS after that I dunno:) MSI and ASUS are pretty even.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 am

vargis14 wrote:
When it comes to AMD I like HIS...

Another vote for HiS.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 am

For both makes, AMD and Nvidia, look for a balance between price and features. I personally do not find it necessary to buy an OC card if OC is covered under the vendor's warranty. My personal choices I have made are HIS for AMD. Bought two 4850s right after launch, so they had poor stock cooler. One died weeks after the 2 year warranty went out and I sold the other one. I think XFX still has their lifetime warranty but I have heard complaint about the coolers they use. For Nvidia I think EVGA is the best by far. They have amazing customer service and support team with a warranty to back their products. While the lifetime isn't offered on many products anymore anything past 3 years is good.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Generally speaking I recommend going with a card that's close to the reference design, as it minimizes the chance of added bugs from the manufacturer's attempts to overclock or use weird cooling. EVGA is my preferred nvidia brand for this reason; they're the only one of about six makers on both sides that I haven't had any issues with. Not sure who the AMD counterpart would be, though most at least offer a standard basic implementation of a given chip without a lot of bells and whistles.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Gigabyte gets good stock from AMD. Unfortunately my experience with reference AMD cards is the cooler system. Put on an aftermarket cooler and you will see why Gigabyte gets good stock, as you can usually get a 20-30% overclock on them.

And I second or third the EVGA recommendation for NVidia cards. I got 2 last year in my Santa basket and 1 died in about 4 months. After an email reply with a magic page to print out and stick on box, I sent it back & got a new one within a week, no questions asked. I actually thought I was getting scammed cuz it seemed TOO easy, after many RMA's from WD, Asus, MSI, ASRock, Sleazegate, etc..

Nevertheless, unless you get a card that has a fancy cooler on it, then it does not matter who you get it from, it will be same card cuz it is just a sticker put on it.

If you are going SLI/Crossfire you will probably have to settle for reference cards since most aftermarket/add-on cooling solutions will take up too much space to put the cards together in the proper slots unless you have a real special motherboard. So find the cheapest ones with the MOSTEST free games ;) and have fun!!
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:25 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Nvidia EVGA, then MSI then ASUS after that I dunno:) MSI and ASUS are pretty even.

Actually when it comes to Nvidia cards I would probably go 1)EVGA 2)Zotac 3)Asus 4)MSI

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 pm

As an example, I was considering to buy a R9-280x, but I have to choose from a Gigabyte, Sapphire and HIS. Which one should I go with and why? I have heard that Gigabyte version has some flickering issues with it and all. Is it true?
Please help! Thanks!

In general, the top tier partners are all pretty competent. I've had issue only with the secondary tier. Issues are also more likely on all factory OC that push the envelope on the available silicon...I've seen complaints from all on the very highest factory OC...esp. if the drivers aren't mature.

So...individual cooling solutions really are the only issue..90% of the time.

The sapphire tri-x has some good reviews and results. :wink:

I avoid powercolor, and the new visiontech is a new and untested supplier...

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:45 pm

I comes down to personal preference in my opinion. I look at the product reviews (both by the press and by consumers), features and price. Based on these I make the final decision.
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 am

Another vote for HIS.

Have had mine for a year now and it's been folding nonstop since early July. Heavy duty heatpipes and fans, and not noisy.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 am

In general the only difference I find is warranty and third party cooling options. Although Nvidia has had some pretty good reference cooling lately and AMD has had some horrible ones with the R9 line up.

For Nvidia based cards I would look at EVGA and Asus before any one else.

AMD I would look at HIS then Gigabyte.

I would avoid Powercolor and Sapphire. They both have had some issues in the past. Powercolor more recently than Sapphire.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 am

[quote="zenlessyank"

If you are going SLI/Crossfire you will probably have to settle for reference cards since most aftermarket/add-on cooling solutions will take up too much space to put the cards together in the proper slots unless you have a real special motherboard. So find the cheapest ones with the MOSTEST free games ;) and have fun!![/quote]

That is so untrue...you do not have to use reference cards to run SLI,CROSSFIRE. Most every motherboard nowadays has 2open slots between the graphics card slots, so even ASUS,s triple slot cooler will fit as long as there are 2 open slots under the 1st PCIE 16x slot. Even if your motherboard has only 1 open slot between graphics card slots, just make sure your custom non reference cards are only double slot cards and you will be a ok.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:05 am

EVGA has the best support and warranty service. I trust them. When it comes to GPUs there aren't many bells and whistles worth your time and the ones that exist, EVGA provides anyway. Look for EVGA cards if possible. Everything else is a compromise.

Edit: who brought this thread back from the grave?

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Diplomacy42 wrote:
Edit: who brought this thread back from the grave?

It was me...sorry! :oops:

:P

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:14 pm

and just to confirm,
EVGA seems to be a great brand,
but the OP did ask about an AMD card, and EVGA is not an AMD partner...
sooo... :wink: