Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: What are you playing right now?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:22 am

Hz so good wrote:
Really? I found it rather humorous, especially when you make the narrator go off the rails. Which ending did you get?

First time I played it it was around 2am, and running around a desolate building alone just gave me the heebie jeebies. First time I played it through I got the ending where in I took the stairs down and ended up going around in circles only to end up dead on a sidewalk. Second time I played it I ended up in a room with the ringing phone (forgot which route I took to get to it), which I then answered and found out to be 'my wife' calling. I then ended up in a room with this whitish figure of a lady standing still while the narrator kept talking about my life. It's a bit unnerving.

I played the game again today and the paths I took were different, of course, and it's only now that I realize that the game DOES have some humor.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am

A couple suggestions for more exploration in The Stanley Parable. I am using spoiler tags so you can find these on your own if you wish.

Get to the ringing phone. You can unplug it.

Get to the lift and jump off onto the pathway, then do the opposite of what the narrator tells you. Eventually you will get to play other games within the game.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for the Stanley Parable input, guys. This is such a weird game but the more I play it the more curious I get to know what else could happen.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 am

I've got a new girlfriend that expressed interest in sharing in my hobbies with me. Since one hobby is gaming, I thought I'd start her on a game. Last weekend, she played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and I watched her and offered advice when asked for an hour or two. It was pretty fun! Of course I see how dreadful the graphics are and how archaic the controls are. But she has no comparison points, and she wanted something easy. I find that game easy, but also fun and rewarding.

Maybe I'll start her on Dragon Age next?

I think I've only had time for two hours of Skyrim this whole week. Oh no!

Last night I was playing build-a-website-for-a-friend. Anyone want to see?

wierdo
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

Milo Burke wrote:
I've got a new girlfriend that expressed interest in sharing in my hobbies with me. Since one hobby is gaming, I thought I'd start her on a game. Last weekend, she played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and I watched her and offered advice when asked for an hour or two. It was pretty fun! Of course I see how dreadful the graphics are and how archaic the controls are. But she has no comparison points, and she wanted something easy. I find that game easy, but also fun and rewarding.

Maybe I'll start her on Dragon Age next?

I think I've only had time for two hours of Skyrim this whole week. Oh no!

Last night I was playing build-a-website-for-a-friend. Anyone want to see?

Could let her try Limbo, Fez or NidHogg, those are easy and loads of fun, Nidhogg is great for local multiplayer.
“The world belongs to optimists. Pessimists are only spectators.” — Francois Guizot

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 am

superjawes wrote:
A couple suggestions for more exploration in The Stanley Parable. I am using spoiler tags so you can find these on your own if you wish.

Get to the ringing phone. You can unplug it.

Get to the lift and jump off onto the pathway, then do the opposite of what the narrator tells you. Eventually you will get to play other games within the game.

Seriously? You can do that? Cool! So far I've:

Gotten the "Yay! You're no longer a slave to the machine!" ending
Managed to start the self destruct sequence. Does anything actually stop it? I tried a few things, but still blew up.
Made the narrator go off the rails, and got the "Confused Ending" which was great as it was my first time playing.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Wierdo, never heard of any of those. Are they indie? Cheap?

I thought about reading the spoilers, but this thread feels much more surreal if I only half know what is going on. :D

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Milo Burke wrote:

I thought about reading the spoilers, but this thread feels much more surreal if I only half know what is going on. :D

Limbo and Fez are definitely indie and they're fun, but I'm unfamiliar with the third one.

wierdo
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:21 am

Milo Burke wrote:

Yeah they're cheap, even at regular prices. Indie games so a little different in some regards.

Limbo (demo available):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/

Fez (if she likes puzzles, starts easy then ramps up gradually, some optionals are ridiculous later on):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224760/

Nidhogg (if you wanna play something crazy together):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/94400/

Trailers are there, should give a general idea.
“The world belongs to optimists. Pessimists are only spectators.” — Francois Guizot

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am

Dungeon Defenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man sky city solo is chaos once the boss arrives, crystal bit the biscuit as I had the boss a few seconds from defeat before I lost, so aggravating.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 am

Starting playing Tera as a free alternative to scatch my MMO itch that has raid content. I hit 40 last night. For a free game, it's really good if you can get past the Korean nature of the game. Still playing lots of ranked League of Legends.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Fooling around with the Elder Scrolls Online people. A lot of anticipation for this one.

I will play, as always, a Dunmer and I have plans for a Geezers guild. Our motto:

"Do you know where your children are? Lets hunt em' down and kill em'!"

Oh yeah a little PvP with my guild hunting member's children should be extraordinarily stupid. I have requested, with some nice feedback, bagpipes to be added as part of a Bard progression, so I can lead my guild into battle with the pipes a skirling. Yes, across Tamril the Geezers will be feared and hated: "Oh no, the old people are here!"
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I discovered an FMV style "interactive movie" called Darkstar that looks like appropriately cheesy sci-fi noir. Cool part is that it stars MST3K Veterans Joel Hodgson, TV's Frank, Dr. Forrester, Pearl Forrester, and even Josh from Season One.

I also just got Broken Age Act 1. Haven't decided if I wanna play it right away, or savor slowly until Act 2 ships.

Now, If Telltale would get off their asses and get Episode 2 of The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead: Season Two out, that would be lovely.

/Still need to work up the guts to finish playing Outlast. Amnesia: Machine for Pigs was tame compared to this...

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Almost forgot that I played a little Kickbeat yesterday. Martial Arts meets Guitar Hero/Amplitude. Fun little game! Well worth it on Steam.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Bought ESO Imperial Edition. A horse and a mudcrab make it a no brainer. ;)
Last edited by PenGun on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Just finished the story for Lego Marvel Heroes.

Also finished Broken Age act 1. It's really, really good. So short though.

Just finished downloading Banner Saga and I'm really excited to play it. And in between it all, plenty of Smite and XCOM: Enemy WIthin
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

LostCat

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Hz so good wrote:
Almost forgot that I played a little Kickbeat yesterday. Martial Arts meets Guitar Hero/Amplitude. Fun little game! Well worth it on Steam.

Right on. I'll be grabbing that soon.
Meow.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Simcity (2013), I picked it up for $15 on amazon thinking it was a risky proposition given the comments. It turned out not to have been as my experience has been wholly positive. I'm not sure what veterans think of it, but as someone new to the series I've loved the 30 or so hours I've piled into it so far. I actually had to read the manual to figure out some of the gameplay, but I see that as a plus in this day.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Currently chugging through Just Cause 2. It's certainly not a bad game, and I want to like it more than I do, but it has some of the most godawful controls I've seen since 2001 and even when heavily remapped they constantly get in the way of an otherwise excellent sandbox.

LostCat

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:22 am

I just started up Kickbeat and I love it already :D
Meow.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Broken Age act 1, KAMI (really relaxing puzzle game), and I've been going back thru my library of games I never beat, like:

Darkness 2
Outlast (If I can work up the nerve. That thing freaks me out)
Foul PLay
RE6 ( I'm just beating this out of spite. I much preferred RE4 and 5)
Kentucky Route Zero act 1 and 2
Strider (recent remake)
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Jazzpunk (cracktacular, yet utterly awesome)
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Octodad: Dadliest Catch

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Assassin's Creed Black Flag. My first AC title, I'm sure the sheer breadth will ruin me for the first couple at least. I could have done without the dumb modern day subplot. I get that's a thing in this series but it's a waste that breaks up the awesome sailing and plundering. Finished the story today and in a rare turn of events I actually want to keep going. Is there something in the options that shows the time played? I didn't see it anywhere.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:20 am

Yoshi's Island in emulation, for my daughter's benefit.

I say that, but the game is technically impressive for an SNES title, in particular the boss fight on a sphere. I'm enjoying it too.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

superjawes

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 am

Went back into Remember Me and got through the part where you find out the the CEO of the Evil Corp. is actually your mother. I knew a twist was coming, and sure enough, it hooked me on the story.

I have some mixed feelings about this title. It feels like two games that could be great. On one hand, you have an augmented reality action title. The combat needs a lot of polish, but roaming around with popups and special abilities tied to technology is really cool, and worth exploring more.

The other game has more potential. The story of memory alterations could be tied really well into a stealth game. Add in the ability to explore people's memories and I would definitely spend hours swimming in the lore. This could also make for an interesting karma system to branch off different endings. Imagine losing all of your memories and each ending is dependent on how much/what you recover.

I hope they take this idea and do some diligent polishing. Or someone else can rework the idea into a new story.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

Deus Ex: The Human Revolution is what I'm playing right now. Yeah, I'm usually a little behind the curve when it comes to new games :)

I loved the original Deus Ex, was very disappointed in the second (Invisible War) - this one reminds me of the original. Graphics are excellent. Stealth is handled pretty well. The story is interesting even if a little predictable. The role-playing aspect is mostly just trying to pick the right dialog to convince people to do things; it becomes a bit *too* easy if you pick a certain augmentation.

Combat is improved over the first two games in the series; the enemies actually have some AI now. Enemies do some serious damage, and there are some situations you just aren't going to survive without stealth or at least some strategy. But in a way that adds to the game.

If I have one complaint about combat it's that the "boss" battles tend to involve you and a boss being thrown in a room and left to slug it out - most of the strategy goes out the window. So make sure you keep some health, armor, and heavy weaponry in your inventory, even if you're playing stealthy-like.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Elder Scrolls Online all weekend.

My son played most of it too. Amazingly he likes it a lot and played through a big pile of the beginning sections and made level 7. I got to go along for some of it and it was great fun taking down the 30' Balreth boss together, among other things. The only times we have played on line together we were trying to kill each other. He ordered up a GTX 750 'cause his graphics suck and he will be pleased when that kicks in. It's quite a beautiful game and he has played so far with low res, turned down.

I'm pleased and surprised. He'll make level 10 easily in a few more hours. Next time we will go to Cryodill and get down wit the peeps in warfare. Oh yeah.

Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

cphite wrote:
Deus Ex: The Human Revolution is what I'm playing right now. Yeah, I'm usually a little behind the curve when it comes to new games :)

That's the first game I'm playing once I build my new tower.

As it is, my current machine is so craptacular that I'm stuck with games from the late 90's up to about '03. So I got a 3DS to tide me over :D Bravely Default & Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are my current go-to games, and I have a few others to tide me over until "construction season" ;)
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, EVGA GTX 980+ROG Swift, ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

superjawes

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm a big Zelda fan and picked up a 3DS just for A Link Between Worlds and was not disappointed.

Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm

superjawes wrote:
I'm a big Zelda fan and picked up a 3DS just for A Link Between Worlds and was not disappointed.

I'm looking forward to that one, too.
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, EVGA GTX 980+ROG Swift, ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Lots of Marvel Heroes lately. Added a lot of new content to grind for. It's basically diablo but in the Marvel world. Maxed out my Cable to 60, grinding Odin marks for legendary gear. Mindless fun.

League of Legends of course, still. Can't beat free.