Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Zaeem
Gerbil
Topic Author

IGP aiding Dedicated GPU performance?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 am

Hello everyone!
(i) Is it true that in a system having an integrated graphics processor (like Intel HD 4000 series) as well as a dedicated GPU (like say a R9-270X), the IGP will aid the dedicated GPU (in some way) that the overall performance in games gets improved?
(ii) If the above statement is true, then an i5 having, say, HD 4000 series will perform better than an i5 having HD 3000 series. Is this true?
Thanks!

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: IGP aiding Dedicated GPU performance?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:50 am

No

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

The exception to this rule is on the AMD side of things where the embedded graphics of an A-series processor can work in tandem (CrossFire) with a limited range of dedicated GPUs.

However, the range of dedicated GPUs that actually support this feature is limited, and you're almost always better off ignoring the integrated graphics and just getting the best dedicated GPU you can afford.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:48 pm

In addition to what Chrispy_ said, if you use something like Virtu MVP it could improve performance to have a better IGP. I don't see as many people using that compared to a year or so ago though.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:21 pm

TDIdriver wrote:
if you use something like Virtu MVP it could improve performance to have a better IGP. I don't see as many people using that compared to a year or so ago though.

1)I don't think a better IGP would improve performance using Virtu MVP. I'm going beyond my know-how, but as I understand it, MVP uses the IGP as a sort of "pre-frame buffer" so the dGPU ONLY has to work on / store the frames that will actually make it to the monitor. I think the work that the IGP has to do is pretty light and can be handled equally as quick on all ranges of modern IGPs.
2) The (tragic) reason nobody uses Lucid Virtu anymore is because their game support is awful...as in, non-existant for games less than 2 years old. It's really too bad, I think they had a very good idea. Maybe this is something that AMD/Nividia can roll into their driver suites in the future. (assuming they can get around the patents Lucid assumedly has).
Last edited by DPete27 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The exception to this rule is on the AMD side of things where the embedded graphics of an A-series processor can work in tandem (CrossFire) with a limited range of dedicated GPUs.

However, the range of dedicated GPUs that actually support this feature is limited, and you're almost always better off ignoring the integrated graphics and just getting the best dedicated GPU you can afford.

This post exactly, Crossfire between APU and discrete is not only limited because of the models that support it, but limited due to the fact that you are only as strong as your weakest link. As of now APU and IGP solutions are too weak to support multi-card setups. As they are now, they are best at conserving power. (ie. IGP or APU are used in a mobile workstation during no load and when a load is created, the workstation will shift the graphics side to the discrete GPU.) Look up switchable graphics for more information.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/switchable-graphics/Pages/switchable-graphics.aspx
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm

Also, if point #1 from the OPs post were true, then point #2 of the OPs post would be true as well in this instance because HD 4000 graphics are better than HD 3000 graphics.