Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

adding network printer to asus rt-n66u

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows how to do this?

On my dlink dir-655, IIRC I think i just reserved the IP and that was it. Can't seem to find the settings, then again pretty unfamiliar coming from dlink only products.

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Re: adding network printer to asus rt-n66u

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm

I use a Brother 2270DW through ethernet with my RT-N66U and umm...I just followed the steps outlined by the printer manual but it was super simple, I didn't reserve an IP address it just uses DHCP. So I'd say just follow the steps in the printer manual.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:03 am

And if you want to assign specific IPs to specific devices, the router firmware will allow you to do same without having to do anything to the connected device. It's essentially a permanent DHCP lease tied to that MAC address.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 am

Captain Ned wrote:
And if you want to assign specific IPs to specific devices, the router firmware will allow you to do same without having to do anything to the connected device. It's essentially a permanent DHCP lease tied to that MAC address.

Yes I think this is the way I had it setup with the dlink, just I find dlinks gui a little more straight forward. I will try to figure it out.

Also in general for my connections, I have my main pc in port1, NAS in port2, printer in port 3 and 16-port switch in port 4. Should I give the NAS a permanent DHCP lease also? I think I did with the dlink.

THanks

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:15 am

I give permanent DHCP reservations to my computer and the networked printer. If I had a NAS, I'd give it a permanent reservation as well. I'm using an old Linksys WRT-54GL with Tomato and DHCP reservations are easy in that GUI.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:15 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Also in general for my connections, I have my main pc in port1, NAS in port2, printer in port 3 and 16-port switch in port 4. Should I give the NAS a permanent DHCP lease also? I think I did with the dlink.

I actually like to assign all my devices their IP just so I can have "blocks" of IP's by device type. Ex Wemo plugs and switches 192.168.1.100-115, PC's 192.168.1.120-140, Wifi appliances 192.168.150-170, NAS units 192.168.1.200-210 etc.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Deanjo. Don't you have an rt-n66u? Where how do I do this on this router?

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Thanks Deanjo. Don't you have an rt-n66u? Where how do I do this on this router?

Yup, sure do have one.

On the right side under the "Advanced Settings" menu Click on LAN, then click on the tab on the top of the page that appears on the DHCP Server. Scroll down a bit and click yes where it says "Enable Manual Assignment". You should then get an option underneath it that says Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list and that is where you can assign the manual assignments. (Hint, after entering the MAC address, IP address, Name hit the plus button before hitting apply on the bottom).

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Deanjo wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

Yup, sure do have one.

On the right side under the "Advanced Settings" menu Click on LAN, then click on the tab on the top of the page that appears on the DHCP Server. Scroll down a bit and click yes where it says "Enable Manual Assignment". You should then get an option underneath it that says Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list and that is where you can assign the manual assignments. (Hint, after entering the MAC address, IP address, Name hit the plus button before hitting apply on the bottom).

Many Thanks!!