Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Laptop can only run on battery, can't run on charger.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:15 am

My laptop can only run on battery. When I plug the charger, the battery does not charge. When I take off the battery and plug the charger, the laptop does not turn on. I'm pretty sure it's not a charger problem, because using my spare charger doesn't work either (I always keep a spare charger just in case).

Is that just power jack problem? I hope that's the case, because power jack is kinda plenty on ebay. But I also read about possible power converter circuit problem. What is this power converter circuit? Is that a part of the motherboard? Is that easy to repair or replace?

By the way, my laptop is Lenovo IdeaPad B460.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Laptop can only run on battery, can't run on charger.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

It can be a power jack.

I'm not familiar with that model but in the past the power jack and power supply have always been soldered onto the mainboard.

It is possible that there is a separate power board which is easily replaceable.

Many or the toshiba's also have a wired jack that is a cheap replacement as well.

I suspect you are correct that it is not the power brick which would have been my first thought.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:45 am

Aranarth wrote:
It can be a power jack.

I'm not familiar with that model but in the past the power jack and power supply have always been soldered onto the mainboard.

The B460 has separate power jack, something like this:

I don't know about power converter circuit though. I wonder which one is more prone to damage: the power converter circuit, or the power jack?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:46 am

Most common form of power jack damage is that the solder connections fracture or even get ripped out of the system board. That dongle-esque setup should eliminate that failure point.

More likely you've got a problem with the brick or with the converter in the laptop. The brick can be tested for output voltage quite easily -- got a voltmeter? If not pick up a cheap digital meter at any hardware or department store in the electrical aisle.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Keep in mind when reading the output from the charger that those devices when failing may deliver their rated voltage at the tiny currents required when it's only attached to a meter, but may not provide them when asked to deliver a full load of current to it's intended device.

I can't find any mention of it in the service manual, but the power delivery board should be on the other side of the power dongle. It could also be faulty, but I can't tell if it's a separate board, or if it's integrated into the motherboard.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560