Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Network UPS Recommendation

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Basically what it says.

I have the following plugged into a power bar, but would like to put it into a UPS that could run it for about 30 min.

-Synology DS712+ with 2 WD blacks in it.
-Asus RT-N66U Router
-Motorola Cable Modem
-TP Link 16-Port gigabit switch (TL-SG1016D)

My wattmeter has dead batteries so not sure what everything uses in total. I would assume/estimate about 30W for the NAS, 15W for the router, switch and cable modem for about 75W maximum.

Is there any issue not having a "true sine wave" UPS for this equipment?

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Network UPS Recommendation

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Get new batteries for your wattmeter and figure out what your draw is, including power factor. That will give you a better idea of what you need in terms of UPS capacity to get 30 min runtime. If the NAS has active PFC you may want to consider a sinewave UPS, but just sizing the UPS a little larger than you need will probably be good enough since the NAS is a fairly low-power device.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Well, the two WD Blacks are going to consume something like 20W between them when active. The Synlogogy consumes another 10W or so. Figure 85% efficiency on the switch supply for it and you get 35W. The RT-N66U draws about 12W under high utilization. The TP-Link switch has a rated input power of 60W max. I don't have one and I couldn't find someone who had measured it online. Similar switches pull 50-60% of their rated input power so figure about 35W when heavily loaded. Picking one of the current Motorola SURFboard modems (modem only), it clocks in a 10W.

All total, that puts you at 92W. I wouldn't bet surprised if you measured around 75W. Remeber that the power draw will vary with activity. The two drives with vary three to four watts combined between idle spinning and active read write, the access point will vary depending on CPU load and radio utilization, etc.

A 600VA UPS should give you a 30min+ runtime if it is a quality UPS.

Recomendations:

Simulated Sine Wave: CyberPower CP600LCD
True Sine Wave: CyberPower CP850PFCLCD

Everyone has their favorite brand of UPS. I've used APC, Belkin, and CyberPower. APC in kind of the gold standard though their basic home UPSes aren't much better than anybody else. I run my desktop on an APC Back-UPS ES 750. Their bigger systems are expensive and built like tanks. The Belkins felt cheap and were scrapped. I run my server rack on a CyberPower 1500AVR and will likely be purchasing another soon.

--SS

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 am

We usually use APC for our server room, but I've gotten a couple of Tripplite SMART1000LCD's for our mobile clinics recently. They're pretty hard to beat for capacity/volume, but they lack a bit of configurability compared to APC's SmartUPS line. The Windows agent also tends to crash a bit if you don't have Java up to date, but that probably won't matter for you and was fairly easily diagnosed. But I'd check your Synology documentation to see if there are any specific models with support. Runtime is great and all, but what you really want there is a clean shutdown. Even if it has to shutdown immediately, filesystem corruption is a bitch.

SecretSquirrel

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 am

Official Synology UPS list

User reported UPS Compatibility

APC and CyberPower seem to be the winners for 120V UPSes.

--SS

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the APC http://www.apc.com/products/resource/in ... _watts=200

Not listed in the supported chart though. I will check out some of the cyber power one also.

SecretSquirrel

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:03 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the APC http://www.apc.com/products/resource/in ... _watts=200

Not listed in the supported chart though. I will check out some of the cyber power one also.

The Back UPS Pro 900 is listed in the community reported section. This means that most likely the entire Back UPS Pro line is supported -- most likely, not guaranteed though. The 700 is a fairly reasonable price on Amazon too. Your call, but anything in that range would be sufficient.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I picked up an APC BR1000G for $85 with free shipping on an Amazon deal two weeks ago. Its 600-watt capacity is sufficient for my cable modem, router, switch, TiVo and living room PC.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038ZTZ3W/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for the help.

I went with the CyberPower CP850PFCLCD SS recommended, the APC was also top on the list. I am in Canada so the best price I could get was $127, and that does not include shipping or the 13% sales tax either :| Hopefully it arrives in good shapes and lasts years with trouble free service.

SecretSquirrel

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I went with the CyberPower CP850PFCLCD SS recommended, the APC was also top on the list. I am in Canada so the best price I could get was $127, and that does not include shipping or the 13% sales tax either :| Hopefully it arrives in good shapes and lasts years with trouble free service.

Be prepared to replace the batteries every 2-3 years. This is normal and routine maintenance. Also, don't get the wise idea to try and buy the batteries way early either. Lead Acid batteries don't do well sitting on the shelf for long periods of time.

--SS

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Also don't buy the replacements from the manufacturer, they price gouge on them. If you are happy swapping connectors over, you can order the individual batteries from DigiKey and swap the connectors from the old ones to the new ones.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 am

notfred wrote:
Also don't buy the replacements from the manufacturer, they price gouge on them. If you are happy swapping connectors over, you can order the individual batteries from DigiKey and swap the connectors from the old ones to the new ones.

My most recent APC battery replacement didn't even require a connector swap. I had to re-use a 2-inch jumper wire from the old battery pack, and a 2" square of double-sided foam tape to hold the pair of batteries together. APC must have about a 10,000% markup on that wire and little piece of foam tape...

jthh
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:11 am

+1 for CyberPower units. I have a pure sine wave backup and simulated sine wave backup unit for my computers. My router and modem are on the simulated sine wave older Cyberpower unit and I get about 30-45 minutes run time when the power goes out. These ancient homes with their weird electrical issues and bad weather here in the South demand a lot out of these units, and they have run extremely well for the reasonable price I paid two years ago.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:15 am

notfred wrote:

Can I use an AC Delco car battery? :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am

anotherengineer wrote:
notfred wrote:

Can I use an AC Delco car battery? :)

As it turns out, yes you can!