Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

acem77
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

incorrect hardware id in device manager vs actual chipset??

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 am

This is the new Nic I tried to install, I downloaded the official drives from netis and RealTeks web sites.
AD1102
http://www.netis-systems.com/en/product ... vt7_PldXTo

Actual chip, removed little heat sync to verify.
RT8169sc (Gb RealTek chip)

What Xp reports
Device id PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8129&SUBSYS_812911EC
Windows Xp thinks it’s a RT8129 chip (RealTek not Gb adapter, really can't find much on it other than shady dll sites)

I used the auto driver install exe and I manually installed the drivers with no luck multiple times and rebooted, device manager error not detecting the correct drives.
I searched the net and finally found the RT8129 drives, it installed them with no known conflicts but the NIC did not function and was missing almost all the advanced
option in device manager,

What could cause this?
Could windows really detect the wrong Device ID in device manager? OS related?
Did someone somehow flash the card with a the wrong firmware(was an open box item)? End user related?
OR does it have a bootleg Chinese Chip on it? Hardware issue?

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Re: incorrect hardware id in device manager vs actual chipse

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 am

I've seen defective hardware incorrectly report hardware IDs. Also, remove and reseat the adapter.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 am

Does the motherboard have integrated LAN? Maybe Windows is seeing the onboard LAN (not the add-in card). If so, try disabling the onboard LAN chip in your BIOS. Does the LAN chip that Device Manager is detecting still show up when the new card is not installed?

Do you have another system you can try the LAN card in?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

acem77
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 am

At some point i removed the card and cleaned the contacts, looked like it was used with some dust build up in the nooks.

I wonder where windows get the device ID from on any device, id guess some firmware location on flash? or could it be rom or on the RealTek chip its self?
My 1st guess was the original owner messed it up with a firmware update? When it did not work swapped it with an other NIc and returned it.

The MB does not have a NIC, I was going to see what another pc detected but it was getting late.

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

You could say its firm...

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 am

A lot of "hard"ware is softer than most people realize.

This is not unique to realtek or low end parts either, there are intel nics and various SAS/RAID controllers you can change quite a bit with a flash.
TR RIP 7/7/2019

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am

It's the PCI Vendor and Device ID registers and I suspect that the values are stored in a little PROM which may have been corrupted.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am

The chip IDs differ by only one bit (RealTek follows a convention of using the hexadecimal PCI ID of their NICs as the model number). I could certainly imagine a dirty PCI contact or a bad solder connection on the card itself causing the ID to be read incorrectly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

acem77
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:49 am

Returned the card, was a just a freak of nature to me so i played around with it for while, new card diff make same chipset worked right away with the driver i installed original for the last flaky nic