Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Win 7 System Image / Taskbar question

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:45 pm

i'm creating a system image using the Win7 utility. It says it may need "up to 215GB." I'm sure it's because I have executables on my N: drive (separate disc from C: drive) that I've dragged to the taskbar (like CPU-Z, RealTemp). Also a directory of fonts on N:. So when I try to create a system image Windows wants to backup N: as well as C: (my C: drive, a 128G c300 is only 1/2 full).

If it was just the 2 programs on N: I wouldn't have a problem. But I have 22 programs on my taskbar. Some I'm quite sure only reside on C: but others I just don't know. How do I find out? I don't want to trash the taskbar config unless there's no other way.

Let me ask this: If I install a program or a font from N:, i.e. running the Setup.exe from N: (or using the context-menu "Install" in the case of a font), once it's installed neither the program/font nor the OS ever needs to look at N: again. Is that right? On the other hand an .exe file that sits on N: and is dragged to the taskbar...in that case the OS does look at N: each time that program runs - have I got that right?

So how do I locate the actual files for programs on the taskbar, eliminate or move the ones on N:\ and get Window's system image to only backup the C:\ drive?

Thanks!
Last edited by canoli on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Win 7 System Image / Taskbar question

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:21 pm

What double directories, and what is not accessible?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
What double directories, and what is not accessible?

rant deleted, never mind (corrupt user profile).

I really need help on the system image question.

HorseIicious
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:54 am

canoli wrote:
So how do I locate the actual files for programs on the taskbar, eliminate or move the ones on N:\ and get Window's system image to only backup the C:\ drive?

I would think if you right click on your taskbar items in question (which extends the jump list), then once that's open, right click again on the program title (just above 'unpin this..') it should give you a properties option. Select properties and then see where the "Target" and/or "Start in" locations are... That should give you an idea of where the links are pointing to.

As to your other question about the Win7 backup utility, and how to get your backup size reduced, I have no experience with that.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 am

The easiest way to view symbolic links in Windows is to open a command prompt, and type dir /AL /S. It's not pretty, but effective.

The good news is that the links on your TaskBar won't matter when taking an image. If the links are broken, the TaskBar will tell you just like any other broken link with an icon.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 pm

drsauced wrote:
The good news is that the links on your TaskBar won't matter when taking an image.

unfortunately this isn't true in my experience using Windows system image utility. The links do matter and that's why I'm getting "may need up to 215GB" when trying to write a system image of C:\ and why Windows wants to copy my N: drive as well as C:

after deleting all the obvious links to N: it still tells me "up to 215GB" are needed. It can't be the font files can it? Fonts that I installed from N:?