R9 270X vs GTX760

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:48 am

ASRock Z87E ITX
i3-4330 3.5ghz 4m cache
2x8GB 1600

Having a real hard time deciding on R9 270X vs GTX760

Will be getting a 4GB card either way as this will see duty for a good long while before upgrading.

Output will be 1080p. I know either of these cards should do just fine at mid-to-max settings/1080p. Just wondering if there is a strong case for one or the other?

I'd go AMD for Mantle + TrueAudio but as I understand it, you only get that on the 290 which is way out of pricerange. :(

Thanks!
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 am

Mantle is for all GCN cards including the 270X. TrueAudio is only on some cards, but should be on the entire range in production now *I believe.* I'm not sure on that, I know it started out as only some cards.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 pm

melk wrote:ASRock Z87E ITX
i3-4330 3.5ghz 4m cache
2x8GB 1600

Having a real hard time deciding on R9 270X vs GTX760

Will be getting a 4GB card either way as this will see duty for a good long while before upgrading.

Output will be 1080p. I know either of these cards should do just fine at mid-to-max settings/1080p. Just wondering if there is a strong case for one or the other?

I'd go AMD for Mantle + TrueAudio but as I understand it, you only get that on the 290 which is way out of pricerange. :(

Thanks!


Why a 4GB card when only running at 1080P, is this a multi monitor setup, even then I don't think you would need 4GB card.
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm of the mindset that more memory can't hurt. Will it help? Maybe, maybe not.... but for a few extra bucks to double it... it's worth it, to me. Especially since I expect this to last at least 2-3 years.

Also, re: Mantle - Savyg is right, it is supported. Looks like only TrueAudio is a 290-exclusive (at least, according to Wikipedia :-? )
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Savyg wrote:Mantle is for all GCN cards including the 270X. TrueAudio is only on some cards, but should be on the entire range in production now *I believe.* I'm not sure on that, I know it started out as only some cards.


Trueaudio is only on the 260 and 290 cards. The 270 series does not support TrueAudio.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Savyg wrote:Mantle is for all GCN cards including the 270X. TrueAudio is only on some cards, but should be on the entire range in production now *I believe.* I'm not sure on that, I know it started out as only some cards.


Trueaudio is only on the 260 and 290 cards. The 270 series does not support TrueAudio.

(Also on Kaveri, on that note.)

Fair enough.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:03 pm

So it looks like the GTX760 does beat it out in most benchmarks at 1080/max quality, usually by a pretty signifcant margin (10+ fps) which I guess makes sense as it has higher overall memory bandwidth and texture fillrate. You do pay for the performance though...
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

If you want an AMD card, the 280X is probably what you'd be looking for. They are mad overpriced right now because of Litecoin, but give it a month or two and the situation will resolve itself.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:25 pm

For 1080p you should go for the 280X or GTX770 for sure. Even these cards cannot max out every current game now, but close.
Intel i5 3570K - Corsair A50 - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair 2x4Gb - Asus 280X Direct CU2 - 2x Corsair F90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb - Antec One Hundred - Corsair CS750M - ASUS MX239H AH-IPS - Logitech LS21 - Logitech K520 Combo - Win 8.1
Nokia Lumia 920
Jon1984
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:01 pm

melk wrote:So it looks like the GTX760 does beat it out in most benchmarks at 1080/max quality, usually by a pretty signifcant margin (10+ fps) which I guess makes sense as it has higher overall memory bandwidth and texture fillrate. You do pay for the performance though...

It kinda depends on Mantle at this point. While I think the 270X would end up worth it on newer titles, it obviously isn't better for current ones. Either way I don't doubt you'll love the card, hell I bought my 660 like a week or two before the 760 was released and I still love it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Well a 770 is +$100 over a 760 which at $280 for a 4GB card is already on the high side of what I want to spend.

A 4GB 270X is cheaper at $250 but to bump up to a 280X is $400+
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:03 pm

I got an MSI gamer 2G twinfrozr for my bro and its a pretty nice card, I got it for $205 and included BF4 also, I think there is a review of it at techpowerup. It does not have true audio though, it is basically an overclocked 7870, with a nice cooler and dual bios. I don't know it you can still get a 7850 on the cheap (150 or less) but that might be a good option.

I think 4GB of ram is a waste at 1080p though.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 pm

melk wrote:A 4GB 270X is cheaper at $250 but to bump up to a 280X is $400+


280X is supposed to be a $300 card. That's why you should wait a month or two if it's what you want.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 pm

I think I have settled on a card, the PNY GTX 760 2GB for $250

I chose the PNY because it comes with factory OC to Core 1111 MHz Boost 1176 MHz which is higher than any other 760 card I could find, netting a Effective Memory Clock of 6208 MHz 8)
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:33 pm

melk wrote:I think I have settled on a card, the PNY GTX 760 2GB for $250

I chose the PNY because it comes with factory OC to Core 1111 MHz Boost 1176 MHz which is higher than any other 760 card I could find, netting a Effective Memory Clock of 6208 MHz 8)


Better deal:

EVGA B-Stock Sale:

GTX 760 ACX $199
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... P4-2763-RX

Or, you should really just spend an extra 20 bucks over the PNY you chose and get a GTX 770 for $269.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.as ... P4-2770-RX

Many more cards here:
http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8


BTW I have a PNY GTX 670 OC edition in my 2nd PC and it is the most terribly loud card I have ever owned. I would advise against getting a PNY card at all costs for that reason. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition I have in my main rig is silent by comparison.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Not to thread hijack, but im also debating between these 2 cards. But I have 1 difference. I have 3 monitors. 1 is for gaming, 1 is for browsing, and the other is for watching movies on the couch. If I am gaming at 1080p, and trying to watch a vid at 1080p on the other monitor, do I need more vram or raw power?
XorCist
Gerbil
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Clovis, CA

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 pm

For 259$ you can get the ACX cooled EVGA GTX 760 FYI EVGA make the best NV hardware and cust support is the best.
Or pay 299 for a higher clocked ACX 4gb card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130933

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130949

every EVGA ACX 760 Has a 5 star rating

Better yet what Prestige worldwide linked for price!! saves u 59$
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:48 am

Awesome, thanks for those links. I was not aware of the B-Stock cards... are these refurbs or something?

The price bouncing is pretty nuts. No more $200 cards, cheapest 760 is now $250 or a 770 for $360

XorCist wrote:Not to thread hijack, but im also debating between these 2 cards. But I have 1 difference. I have 3 monitors. 1 is for gaming, 1 is for browsing, and the other is for watching movies on the couch. If I am gaming at 1080p, and trying to watch a vid at 1080p on the other monitor, do I need more vram or raw power?


I'm curious about this too - I'll be adding a second monitor soon too. A question tho - if you are gaming fullscreen on screen1 is there any way to control screen 2 at the same time? Maybe utilizing Virtual Machines?
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 pm

melk wrote:Awesome, thanks for those links. I was not aware of the B-Stock cards... are these refurbs or something?

The price bouncing is pretty nuts. No more $200 cards, cheapest 760 is now $250 or a 770 for $360

XorCist wrote:Not to thread hijack, but im also debating between these 2 cards. But I have 1 difference. I have 3 monitors. 1 is for gaming, 1 is for browsing, and the other is for watching movies on the couch. If I am gaming at 1080p, and trying to watch a vid at 1080p on the other monitor, do I need more vram or raw power?


I'm curious about this too - I'll be adding a second monitor soon too. A question tho - if you are gaming fullscreen on screen1 is there any way to control screen 2 at the same time? Maybe utilizing Virtual Machines?



Screen 2 does not blank when gaming on screen 1. However, most games will blank if you alt-tab into another application. The solution is to run the game in 'windowed fullscreen'. This will eat a little performance (~10-20% depending on application) but can be worth it. Some newer games support windowed fullscreen natively, for most others, you can use a program like Game Companion to force it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Hmm, alright thanks. You're still restricted to 1 set of inputs (kbd/mouse) though. I'd love to figure out a way to run a game on screen1 and be able to browse the web at the same time with a second kbd/mouse on screen2. Guess that's not easily accomplished though.
melk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:29 pm

melk wrote:Hmm, alright thanks. You're still restricted to 1 set of inputs (kbd/mouse) though. I'd love to figure out a way to run a game on screen1 and be able to browse the web at the same time with a second kbd/mouse on screen2. Guess that's not easily accomplished though.


If you have a keyboard with media controls it lets you control most media players even when they're not in focus. I'm usually gaming or even just working on screen 1, while screen 2 has a playlist of stuff I'd like to watch/listen to.

This is one of the reasons I find it so hard to switch to the new mechanical keyboards -- I've yet to see a model with proper media keys.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: R9 270X vs GTX760

Postposted on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:51 pm

The MSI custom cooler cards have the best coolers atm, their sound:cooling performance ratio is fantastic.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...


Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests