Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

shodanshok
Gerbil

Re: I needed a new distro

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:39 pm

kc77 wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Seems to me this degree of customizability is more valuable on an embedded platform with limited RAM and/or mass storage. For modern desktops and servers the size of the OS on disk and the memory footprint of the kernel are largely irrelevant. Disk space and RAM have both gotten cheap enough that only people with OCD care.

OTOH, a rather high percentage of computer geeks *are* afflicted with OCD to varying degrees, so there you go I guess. :wink:

A glut of computing resources and how the optimizations only produce minimal performance gains have been arguments against compiling from source for a while.

It is a little OCD. I like knowing what switches my programs were compiled with, and it's nice to know I don't have stuff that I don't need to cause security holes. Less code is better.

GCC for a lot of the older archs is pretty damn good with just march=native but the newer archs can still show some pretty big gains, 25% or more is'nt uncommon. Here's a comparison done on my system.

The top two are march=native. The bottom was compiled with this.

-O2 -pipe -march=bdver1 -mno-movbe -mno-fma -mno-bmi -mno-tbm --param l1-cache-size=16 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=2048 -mtune=bdver1

Here's another comparison with Apache.

To say my machine appeared to be something else after making those adjustments during compile time would be an understatement. :D

Sure, some specific packages gain a big boost using specifically-tailored compiler options. However I really think that is overkill to custom-compile an entire distribution, even considering how too aggressive compiler setting can wreak havoc on some programs.

I used Gentoo for 3 years and I was very satisfied with the results, but now I am much more pleased to use a Fedora or Debian-derived distro and compiling the specific package that benefit from aggressive optimization ;)

Regards.
www.ilsistemista.net - test & bench :)

shodanshok
Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 pm

kc77 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
And try doing it on a UEFI motherboard sometime if you want an exercise in extreme frustration! :lol:

Remember the discussion about this months ago? All of my nightmares came true when some new Dell laptops came in with Secure Boot enabled. Installing Linux on that thing was like playing 11-dimensional Jenga.

Uff, the whole UEFI thing is really depressing at times...
Two month ago, I remotely installed a DELL R720XT w/UEFI boot, and I had problems:
- detecting an external USB CDROM reader
- after that, I decided to go with PXE boot, only to find that CentOS 6.4 minimal and netinstaller had problem with the specific DELL's UEFI BIOS (some file were placed in a wrong directory, CentOS 6.5 solved that)
- the UEFI-based RAID controller interface had a bug that prevent me to create two RAID10 array of very different size (256 GB and 3.0 TB, respectively. The second array was forced to 1.8 TB maximum)

Solution: switch to MBR based boot (albeit driven by the UEFI BIOS code) and press CTRL+R to configure the array in the dear, good, old way, via a text-based interface.

The secure-boot affair can only add to this frustration... but if you don't need Windows it can be disabled, right?
www.ilsistemista.net - test & bench :)

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm

shodanshok wrote:

Sure, some specific packages gain a big boost using specifically-tailored compiler options. However I really think that is overkill to custom-compile an entire distribution, even considering how too aggressive compiler setting can wreak havoc on some programs.

I used Gentoo for 3 years and I was very satisfied with the results, but now I am much more pleased to use a Fedora or Debian-derived distro and compiling the specific package that benefit from aggressive optimization ;)

Regards.

Oh I agree. I've tried Gentoo numerous times and while the speed increase is nice, it's a torturous road to get there. Certain packages are available in Gentoo others are not, etc. That's why I just add those flags to my bash so every time I open terminal and compile anything it's done with those flags. It's much easier to do that on an Ubuntu install then standing up Gentoo even if you forgo the speed improvements.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

jmcknight
Gerbil

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 pm

kc77 wrote:
shodanshok wrote:

Regards.

Oh I agree. I've tried Gentoo numerous times and while the speed increase is nice, it's a torturous road to get there. Certain packages are available in Gentoo others are not, etc. That's why I just add those flags to my bash so every time I open terminal and compile anything it's done with those flags. It's much easier to do that on an Ubuntu install then standing up Gentoo even if you forgo the speed improvements.

I came from using Gentoo for almost 8 years (only ever did 2 installs of it in all that time -- fantastic!) but I got tired of the constant need to handhold it through major updates, expect breakage then time to fix it, some instability when having to unmask certain software that was either outdated or not ready for prime time. In the end I switched to openSUSE 12.3 almost a year ago and couldn't be happier. It has some of the benefits of enterprise, it's modern but not bleeding edge, and more importantly -- when I see that there's a major update it doesn't scare the hell out of me.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:05 am

jmcknight wrote:
While that's true, I don't get the motivation behind completely gutting that stuff from the installer. A near equally user-friendly distro (openSUSE) has all of this in perhaps the nicest graphical installer I've seen without it being daunting.

The OpenSUSE installer is kind daunting. It's very comprehensive, and it's easy to get into more advanced areas, which are just confusing for those who don't know what they're doing.

Anaconda, the RHEL/CentOS/SL/Fedora, installer strikes a good balance between advanced options and simplicity.

shodanshok wrote:
Uff, the whole UEFI thing is really depressing at times...

Especially since there is Coreboot.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:26 am

PenGun wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
I've been using Xubuntu since early 2012 and have been pretty happy overall. But Ubuntu proper's making a series of decisions I find really distasteful, so I'm evaluating where to go next. God help me, I'm really thinking about Slackware64.

Good, come on in, leave that GUI nonsense behind, learn to curse.

I'm just kidding,the install is ncurses of course. The rest is ... well sorta up to you. Want to run as root, fill yer boots, it's your machine to use, or destroy if you want. She will do just what she is told, no backtalk, it's why I use Slackware.

I've been an on-again, off-again Slackware user for nine years. I've always admired its technical straightforwardness and speed, and for not foisting a bunch of distro-self-serving gunk onto its users. Slack's come a long way - SlackBuilds alone automates a ton of routine drudgery in source compilation and functionally turns it into package management - but part of me's still hesitant to make the jump. I think I just need to rip the bandaid off and get on with it.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

jmcknight
Gerbil

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 pm

After a few months of running openSUSE, I find myself back to CentOS 6. openSUSE is a great distro and I would still recommend it to people but personally, the little problems I did have with it became big ones that I either could no longer overlook or I couldn't be arsed to deal in workarounds anymore. Then there were things that just never worked at all that I've had no problems with in other distros.

I can't say anything about GNOME 3 that hasn't been said many times before, but with the proper extensions it's definitely usable. I just find that since switching back to CentOS 6 for desktop/workstation use, my workflow is back where it used to be and I've had no problems at all.

I've heard people say that CentOS is "boring" because it's not bleeding edge. While that's a fair assessment, that sort of review tells me that these people don't use Linux for anything remotely serious like having a job that depends on it. Sure, some aspects of it are old but when you require the utmost in stability and security, you tend to not mind. Plus with the addition of things like ElRepo, you get a crusty old GNOME 2.28 running on top of a 3.10 kernel or later.
AMD A10 7800, Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 2 WD RE4 500GB SATA III (RAID1), Cooler Master Elite 130
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 am

jmcknight wrote:
I've heard people say that CentOS is "boring" because it's not bleeding edge. While that's a fair assessment, that sort of review tells me that these people don't use Linux for anything remotely serious like having a job that depends on it. Sure, some aspects of it are old but when you require the utmost in stability and security, you tend to not mind. Plus with the addition of things like ElRepo, you get a crusty old GNOME 2.28 running on top of a 3.10 kernel or later.

The same criticism gets leveled at the official Debian releases as well. But Debian isn't meant to be bleeding edge, it is meant to be stable and reliable.

I've found Ubuntu to be a reasonable tradeoff if you want a Debian-derived distro that is more current. Ubuntu LTS releases tend to be a little more up-to-date than Debian Stable, and get 5 years of patch support; the non-LTS are pretty bleeding edge, with all the good and bad things that implies. The KDE release that got paired with 12.04 LTS had a few rough edges, but overall I find it quite usable; that's what I run (at home and work) now on systems I actually care about.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jmcknight
Gerbil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
jmcknight wrote:

The same criticism gets leveled at the official Debian releases as well. But Debian isn't meant to be bleeding edge, it is meant to be stable and reliable.

I've found Ubuntu to be a reasonable tradeoff if you want a Debian-derived distro that is more current. Ubuntu LTS releases tend to be a little more up-to-date than Debian Stable, and get 5 years of patch support; the non-LTS are pretty bleeding edge, with all the good and bad things that implies. The KDE release that got paired with 12.04 LTS had a few rough edges, but overall I find it quite usable; that's what I run (at home and work) now on systems I actually care about.

Next to CentOS, I recommend Debian all the time to people. Between the 2 it really comes down to how you like things run in terms of packaging and init systems. Me personally, I prefer yum to apt and like the init system a little better in CentOS. I generally don't mind using an older GNOME 2.28.2 because my Linux use is more geared toward what enterprise offers. Sure, my screenshots don't look as pretty but as a serious Linux user, that's hardly important.
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I like something Zach Holman from Github said in a presentation, "Your product should be cutting edge, not your tech," and "Stability is sexy." This makes sense. If the admins are fighting fires, they're not improving things, and going home at 5:00pm is underrated.

I'm willing to beta test stuff, but I'm not going to have my production environment be a beta test. If a company is producing a product, sure dog food your own stuff, but I'll pass on it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I'm willing to beta test stuff, but I'm not going to have my production environment be a beta test. If a company is producing a product, sure dog food your own stuff, but I'll pass on it.

...and this is why I pass on Fedora and the non-LTS Ubuntu releases these days, for any system I don't consider to be a pure "screw around" box.

jmcknight
Gerbil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

...and this is why I pass on Fedora and the non-LTS Ubuntu releases these days, for any system I don't consider to be a pure "screw around" box.

This is why I avoid Ubuntu as a whole and steer clear of Fedora. As a CentOS (and RHEL) user on the desktop/workstation level, I see Fedora as being nothing more than a working proof-of-concept that will hopefully one day be usable and stable. So by avoiding these distros it means at the end of the day I get work done without having to babysit and handhold my distro. CentOS (as well as Ubuntu LTS) tend to be those install-then-forget-about-it distros. This is more appealing to me than latest and greatest of everything at the expense of things not working or the overall experience sucking.
Powered by openSUSE 13.2

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm

jmcknight wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

This is why I avoid Ubuntu as a whole and steer clear of Fedora. As a CentOS (and RHEL) user on the desktop/workstation level, I see Fedora as being nothing more than a working proof-of-concept that will hopefully one day be usable and stable. So by avoiding these distros it means at the end of the day I get work done without having to babysit and handhold my distro. CentOS (as well as Ubuntu LTS) tend to be those install-then-forget-about-it distros. This is more appealing to me than latest and greatest of everything at the expense of things not working or the overall experience sucking.

I look forward to everyones feedback of Trusty Tahr.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

I've been installing the latest versions of Mint as they arrive on my work laptop. That's probably not the most "stable" thing to do, but frankly I only use the laptop to RDP into my workstation in the office, so if something goes amiss I just re-install the OS in a few minutes.

I've been using the Cinnamon interface. I tried KDE for a while and didn't care for it - it looks nice, but I can never find anything :roll:

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 pm

cphite wrote:
I tried KDE for a while and didn't care for it - it looks nice, but I can never find anything :roll:

I create extra panels on the left and top edges of the screen and put launchers for all the applications I use regularly on 'em. They don't take up much space, and pretty much everything I need is just a single click away. My main beef with KDE is that it is a bit of a resource pig, but I've got 16GB of RAM so... *shrug*.

jmcknight
Gerbil

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Over the many years I've been using Linux, I've given KDE a serious go and have yet to find a use for it as my day-to-day workstation DE. I love its features and love the way it's developed versus GNOME, but from a usability standpoint I just don't find myself to have good workflow with it without requiring a lot of tweaking. As a CentOS user who will have the bite the bullet and use GNOME 3 again like I previously did with openSUSE, I'm hoping this makes it feasible for me to use a QT based environment: http://www.maui-project.org/