Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Looking for Speaker Recommendations (Computer Setup)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 pm

First and foremost requirement: All cables must be disconnectable; nothing built-in to any component, whatsoever. Every speaker set I've owned so far has had problems due to cabling, and they cannot be simply replaced. (Instead, I have to attempt to solder them together, which results in a huge durability problem.) Obviously, this means no proprietary cables nor siamese connectors. (Multiple cables going into one connector is pretty much the worst idea ever.)

After that, I'd like something reasonably portable. All computer speakers pretty much meet this requirement (except for giant subs and 5.1's). I want to be able to pack this up and move it to another room, and on occasion, bring it to a party.

2.1 setup preferred. I don't have space for 5.1, nor do I need it that badly. Budget is around $100-200, but only if it's going to last some 10-20 years. (I have monitors and a karaoke machine with aux input that are still working just fine.) Otherwise, I'm sticking with $30-$50 sets if they're just going to break.

As far as audio quality goes, I have no real preference (in the sense that some listeners prefer warmer sound, more bass, etc.). I just want something an audiophile would consider well balanced and good for the price.

I suppose I'd be open to wireless headphone recommendations too. I'd like to be able to use my X-Fi soundcard though (something that takes 3.5mm input and USB powered at the receiver end would be great), but bluetooth is probably the only way to go when it comes to wireless headphones. Monoprice has a few I can look at, which would be good after the $23 one I bought from them broke. (I've had more cable/wiring problems than headband problems though.)

Overall, audio equipment doesn't get outdated over time the way even monitors do (I already replaced some old ones with a triple IPS set), so I'd like to invest in both quality and durability, although my budget is also limited and I don't want to spend too much.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Looking for Speaker Recommendations (Computer Setup)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

This thread will likely turn into a dumping ground for audiophiles (and I agree with them for the most part), but you should just get a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set and be done with it. I don't think the wires are removable from the back of the speakers though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 pm

You might want to take a look at this recently active thread.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 pm

IMO studio monitors are the best sound you can get on a PC.

For a good starting point check these out.
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophi ... words=av40

I use to have them before I upgraded to my Mackie speakers.

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

DancinJack wrote:
This thread will likely turn into a dumping ground for audiophiles (and I agree with them for the most part), but you should just get a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set and be done with it. I don't think the wires are removable from the back of the speakers though.

On this note, I consider myself an audiophile of sorts. But the klipsch pro media 2.1 are indeed awesome. Wires do not disconnect though. They are also more aimed towards movies/games imo than they are towards music.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

I don't think there is a system on the market that meets all of the specified requirements. But of the compromises that will have to be made, the Klipsch ProMedia will probably be the most effective option.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 am

Gandolf wrote:
IMO studio monitors are the best sound you can get on a PC.

For a good starting point check these out.
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophi ... words=av40

I use to have them before I upgraded to my Mackie speakers.

I use these on my own computer. There's a couple of caveats, though. The version sold today is a little different than the one I have (no bass boost option, hardwired power cord), and there are numerous stories of the circuitry in the left speaker being shoddily made (volume pot wears out, headphone jack gets pushed in, amp drops a channel, etc). I have had a good experience with mine so far, but knowing the reputation it has I would look for something similar, but better made.