Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Can recommend a good COMPUTER SECURITY SOFTWARE please?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi guys, i want to find a software that could heavily or well, lock my computer, since ill be putting my computer to public use. Here are some things that i want to restrict:

*making folders read only or totally locked or hidden
*restricting users to delete any icons in my desktop
*restricting users to alter my hard drive partitions specially windows partition or DRIVE C.

additional:

may be able to block some websites that i want.

The best software i use for this type of security is TROPSOFT PC SECURITY. I used it like way back 2006 i think? it was a really great program, but now it seems not updated and not working on windows 7 anymore, if any of you who is familliar with pc security, here is the website:
http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/

Please recommend me some guys, i really need it badly right now.. Hopefully, thank you guys! Ill wait for your reply....

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Can recommend a good COMPUTER SECURITY SOFTWARE please?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Mac OS X, and let the other people log in with the guest account. They can't permanently change a thing; it's all reverted on logout.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Guest account under windows should function much the same.

Remember that since WinXP Windows has effectively been on the old Windows NT core, so a lot of functions are more business centric.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:12 pm

"not working on windows 7 anymore"

I would assume then your OS is Win 7 x64?

Like the other guy suggested, make a guest account in windows and just lock it down so other users can't do anything. I think malwarebytes can lock down websites, if you have a half-decent router you could also do this from the router level.

Have fun!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:51 pm

a secondary windows account should do what you wish. Worst case, use KIOSK mode.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

so if i put a guest account, they would still click the guest account right everytime they wants to use the computer right? also, is it still possible for them to copy files for example? or download anything?

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:30 pm

guys, did you hear of the software drive vaccine? is it okay?

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 pm

also guys, is its security safe? I mean, is it powerful enough to just use "guest" option? there are lot of people there who likes to mess up with a computer when they have nothing to do. (i do that too, lol) maybe ill give this a try right? :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Is the entire system physically accessible to the users, or just the keyboard/mouse/monitor? And how concerned are you about the possibility of people messing with the system?

If the users can physically touch the system and you're defending against potentially malicious users, you've got some additional attacks you need to defend against. Unless your hard drive supports whole-drive encryption in hardware, you will need to ensure that booting from all removable/external media (CD/DVD/USB) is disabled in the BIOS, and that the BIOS is password protected. Otherwise someone could boot a live Linux image from a CD or thumbdrive, and have unfettered access to the hard drive. If it is a desktop, the side panel of the case also needs to be physically secured; otherwise someone can easily defeat the BIOS password by opening the case and clearing the CMOS, or even physically steal the hard drive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:49 pm

The system unit is really secure, they cant touch it, only they can use is the keyboard mouse and monitor, i will use this for an internet cafe and for my dad's office. I dont want users to mess up with windows drive, or delete some icons in the desktop, but offcourse i want them to acces the icons in desktop, but not delete them. i dont want them to uninstall any programs, the "guest" solution seems to be awesome, but the users in guest account could still delete their icons in desktop.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 pm

if only tropsoft pc security has been maintained, i wont have any problems right now. Such a great program.. *sigh..*

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm

guys any more recommendations please? I cant really find a good software on google, als "guest" option, the guest account could still delete some files in the drive C, so i think its not a really good option.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am

How sophisticated are your users? Also, what sort of files do you want to allow them to "copy"? You only say keyboard and mouse, not USB ports. So copy to where? Set up the group policies for that guest user so that s/he cannot launch Command Prompt, Control Panel, Run, and Explorer. Plus lock down IE to the point that they can't download files (so the File Save/Open dialog will not show). That should cover most of the stuff.

http://bit.ly/1lhg7Fq
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

deputy dawg
Gerbil

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:09 am

If you're set on using a third-party program instead of just a Guest account, check out Fortres 101. I've heard good things about it but haven't used it myself. Looks like $40 for a single PC license.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 am

If it's for a cafe then a better way to do that might be to use PXE network booting. You save money because no hard drives on any of the cafe stations, and since the drive image is loaded from a file server on bootup it's a clean slate every time a station reboots.

Depending on the number of hardware configurations you have, you might need to maintain several images with different driver profiles, or if you have way too many hardware configurations then one generic image with drivers for everything pre-loaded but with the OS partially reset using sysprep.