Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

PGleo86
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 8.1 takes ownership instead of opening installers

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I've got a somewhat strange problem here. Whenever I attempt to open an installer exe file, instead the system just gives me ownership of it. This happens regardless of whether I right-click and hit open, or double-click/hit enter. Dropbox did this to me first, but I was able to get it installed by not granting administrator privilege at UAC. However, this does not work for all programs, as shown here when I tried to install Super Meat Boy: Image

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Windows 8.1 takes ownership instead of opening installer

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm

what about run as admin?

HorseIicious
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 pm

May try running in compatibility mode for Win7 to see if that helps. Or also, check and make sure you actually have full rights for the file under your current user account. Not the best ideas, but it's all I've got.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:24 pm

It does this with all .exe files, or just installers?

Edit: What's that "ownership_0" thing?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

It's possible the file association for .msi has been messed up. You might want to check that in the Default Programs / Set associations in the control panel.
(Aside: personally, I always go into folder options and turn off "hide extensions" -- as well as not hiding system files, etc -- just so I always can see what I'm really dealing with).

PGleo86
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

ryko wrote:
what about run as admin?

I can't believe I didn't try this, completely slipped my mind... tried everything I could think of except this, apparently. It worked and now I feel slightly embarrassed :P Thanks for reminding me!

HorseIicious wrote:
May try running in compatibility mode for Win7 to see if that helps. Or also, check and make sure you actually have full rights for the file under your current user account. Not the best ideas, but it's all I've got.

Thanks for the input! I do have all the rights necessary on this account. Thanks!

Melvar wrote:
It does this with all .exe files, or just installers?

Edit: What's that "ownership_0" thing?

Just installers. Other .exe files work fine normally. The ownership_0 thing is what I used to add Take Ownership to the right-click menu, I brought that zip over to my laptop from my desktop and it's never caused anything there. I think it may have caused this situation, but I guess it's solved...? Thanks for your input as well!

UberGerbil wrote:
It's possible the file association for .msi has been messed up. You might want to check that in the Default Programs / Set associations in the control panel.
(Aside: personally, I always go into folder options and turn off "hide extensions" -- as well as not hiding system files, etc -- just so I always can see what I'm really dealing with).

Checked that and it was all correct. That's a useful place to check for things when it's not all going well, thanks for telling me about that! I'll be using that in the future. Haven't gotten to unhiding extensions on this machine yet, it's a new laptop so I'm still getting everything all set up. Just did that, though. I agree, it's really good to see what's actually on the drive.
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro