Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Brrrrr

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 am

Yup, -16F (-27C) here at the office now. Official low for Chicago last night was also -16F, which is a new record low for this date. I don't think we are expected to get above the negative double digits until sometime tomorrow.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:23 am

I got -9F here in Ohio. I'm about 100 miles north of Cincinnati on the Ohio/Indiana state line.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:04 pm

We are somewhat protected by the lakes but even now it's only just above 0F.

Gonna be really cold tonight though what with 20mph windws and dropping to -5 or more overnight.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yup, -16F (-27C) here at the office now. Official low for Chicago last night was also -16F, which is a new record low for this date. I don't think we are expected to get above the negative double digits until sometime tomorrow.

I find it interesting that the schools close but work goes on as normal. Kids are important, no doubt. But I guess us adults are not.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I find it interesting that the schools close but work goes on as normal. Kids are important, no doubt. But I guess us adults are not.

Kids have to wait at bus stops and walk to school as well. Most of us have heated-ass warmers in our cars :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Our school districts (high school and elementary both) just announced that they're closed for the second day in a row. I can't remember this town ever closing two days in a row in my lifetime. Then again, the famed/infamous storm of 1978 was about 6 months before I was born.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Kids have to wait at bus stops and walk to school as well. Most of us have heated-ass warmers in our cars :lol:

There is truth to the bus stop point. My school district growing up did not have buses, so compared to other schools in the city, we had few snow days.

But adults also have PTO, and kids are kind of required to go to school unless they're told not to. I do think that employers should be willing to close if commuting will put people in danger, but that is fairly unlikely.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:23 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There's also the issue of this arctic weather coming right on the heels of a foot (give or take) of snow, which is an unusually large snowfall for this area. Between the extreme cold and the snow, there are a lot of school buses that would be significantly delayed or completely MIA due to issues with the buses themselves, or bus drivers who can't get to work. So not only would kids be waiting at the school bus stops in -15F temperatures; they might be waiting significantly longer than usual, or even waiting for a bus that never shows up.

Edit: My own car started up OK this morning even though it is kept outside. It definitely complained about it though... I could almost hear it saying to me "You want me to do WHAT? Are you frikkin' NUTS?!??" as I was cranking the engine. It's a 14 year old rust bucket beater of a car... but fortunately the battery is only a few months old. Or maybe I should say unfortunately; I would've loved to have an excuse not to come in today. :wink:

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Here the kids still go to school in that weather. It takes either a water main break or a storm of a century for schools to close. -48 C with wind chill the other day everything was life as usual. This morning it was -30C without windchill and all schools were open. New Skidoo suits and heavy boots and mittens are just considered part of "back-to-school" shopping.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Good point on the school buses. Besides, the kids think they are getting a "day free" but I think it will be made up later as a snow day.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Good point on the school buses. Besides, the kids think they are getting a "day free" but I think it will be made up later as a snow day.

Most towns in the Snow Belt (at least here in VT) have 2-3 snow days planned into the schedule. Only when it goes beyond that does it tack on to the end of the year.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Here in the outskirts of Montreal, pouring freezing rain last night... rush cleaned the garage to fit the Journey, but was straight rain when I got up this morning. Side streets were skating rinks but main streets were just messy.

I have a newer house, built in 2005, but insulation is a bit crappy, I keep house at 21 when we're up and aboot, and 19 at night, with blower turned off.. trying to lower hydro bill a bit.

Just hurt my back cleaning up some of the ice, and the snow on deck so puppy can navigate easier.. was 4c an hour ago, now 0 and falling fast, wind warning issued for 90k winds, -30 windchill overnight, blah. Thank baby jesus for heated seats and steering wheel! :P
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 pm

430 AM and I awake to my wife musing taking her focus to work. I take one look outside and decide that's not a good idea. I live on a pretty primary road, and there wasn't a plow truck in sight. So I load up the little monster, take him over to his grandma's house (who as a teacher is still celebrating school getting cancelled), then swing back around and take my wife to work. Finally, all the gallons of wasted gas from my ZR2 S-10 make up for themselves.

Of course, now that I'm at work it's pretty much just me in the office. :roll:
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Base was closed today. I haven't even showered yet. We got less than 2" of snow, so I don't really know why. But don't confuse that with complaining, it's -5F outside and with the windchill it is -30F. Not something I would want to be out in walking from our ginormous parking lots to the building.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:54 pm

We've finally got out of the deep freeze - yesterday morning was -36C - -33F, windchill of -51C/-60F. It's "warmed up" to -31C with a windchill of -38C, which is an improvement, it actually feels tolerable. What I don't understand is how everyone in my neck of the woods just constantly bitches about the cold, which happens EVERY YEAR. If you can't take it, you can move to another part of the country, or else just invest in some proper winter clothing. But, no, it's so much easier to complain. After how much the majority of people will drop on life's non-essentials, it's shocking how many people don't even have a proper pair of winter boots. Not that it's fun when it's -40, but I spend hours out of doors in -30 temps regularly, and have most of my life. My grandparents did much more on the farm long before they had modern clothing and other conveniences, if they could survive it, we look pretty silly complaining about the walk from your front door to the car.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Got an e-mail from a former co-worker yesterday. Gist of it was "You know it's bad when you're out shoveling snow and see one of those monster tow trucks towing the city snow plow down your street!"

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Well that sucked. I needed to run some errands before a trip but both Microcenter and Trader Joe's were closed, as were a lot of other stores along the way. No new snow, just cold temperatures.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 pm

The local Costco was still open this evening, but it was like a ghost town. I think there were like 6 shoppers in the entire store. Employees probably outnumbered customers 2 to 1. It is normally a total zoo in the evenings.

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 pm

currently -15C feels like -27C

morning should feel like -38-41C

Toronto

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 pm

So super cold temperatures used to mean doing awesome overclock-related things like running the PC in the unheated garage, or venting in cold air to do a max speed run. Anyone doing anything like that, or are we all just complaining that it's super cold? Because yeah, it's supercold for this area and we missed the roads in central PA being complete ice rinks this morning by a few hours and a few degrees.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 am

Other "You know it's really cold when..." things I've had to deal with in the past 24 hours:

...the server room at work starts to overheat because the dedicated A/C for the server room fails when the outside temps fall to -16F.

...the backup sump pump alarm goes off because the discharge hose on the main is frozen and the sump has finally filled up from the trickle of meltwater running off around the foundation. (Hope I didn't burn out the main pump, not sure how long it was trying to pump against the blockage overnight.)

...the car takes halfway to work to get decently warmed up. (This is exacerbated by the fact that the thermostat has been acting up a bit, I'm pissed off that I didn't deal with that before the weather got really cold.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
(Hope I didn't burn out the main pump, not sure how long it was trying to pump against the blockage overnight.)

If the pump remained submerged throughout you should be good. BTDT. There are times when the specific heat capacity of water is your friend.

captaintrav
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 am

The cold water line under my kitchen sink has frozen a couple of times in the past few days, first time in 4 years in this house, thankfully it just seems to be that one faucet, and I convinced it to start flowing again fairly easily. This in a locale that gets -30C temperatures pretty much every winter. :evil:

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:42 pm

That's right, got some manly weather coming in Saturday....
Temps are in C.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:12 pm

You beat me. Here in VT the worst prediction is -29C.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 am

Ya, it's going to be pretty brutal. Frostbite in under a minute with those temps on exposed skin and can take your breath away.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Nice pre-spring weather lol

Winter just does not want to die this year.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:22 am

We had a little mild week here and then right back into the freezer again with more snow to make up for what melted. Think we are goign to have winter here until may it seems.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:52 am

Mother nature shut down the federal government again. There way maybe an inch of snow on the ground (on top of 1/4" of ice) when the furry alarm went off this morning. If I was very careful and drove only on the major roads... I could get stuck at work. No thanks.

It's still coming down. They're claiming 8-10" by tonight.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus