Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

I want to buy a new laptop, but I want Windows 7

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

OK so this is my current problem. I won't go in the details as to why I don't want Win8. That's for another thread hehe. I know some online retailers have Windows 7 options, but I don't want to buy this online, so my current options only have Windows 8 laptops.

My real question is the following: how risky is it to install Windows 7 on one of those laptops? Should it be fine, or is it a case by case scenario, where I have to choose a specific one that will work with W7?

Thanks for your input.
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: I want to buy a new laptop, but I want Windows 7

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Any x86 machine that runs Windows 8 will run Windows 7 without issue. The "made for Windows X" stuff is just marketing fluff.

Amazing Mr. X
Gerbil

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:21 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Any x86 machine that runs Windows 8 will run Windows 7 without issue. The "made for Windows X" stuff is just marketing fluff.

I'm sorry, but that is not true.

Windows 7 will install on any laptop that supports Windows 8 or 8.1, yes, however there's no guarantee you'll have drivers available for your laptop that are compatible with Windows 7. It is strictly case by case, I'm afraid. Browse the stores carefully and check the manufacturer's website for any model you're interested in buying. If they offer driver downloads for Windows 7 on that model, then you're fine.

If they don't have Windows 7 drivers, take a careful look at the provided Windows 8 and 8.1 drivers to see whether you can identify who makes the individual components. If you get lucky, they may be made by companies that provide generic Windows 7 drivers on their own website. There's no guarantee those generic drivers will work, as laptops are usually not fitted with completely stock parts, but there's a good chance that they'll at least provide baseline functionality to the system for your components. You'd have to check every component in this case, and see which ones offer drivers and which ones don't. For any components that don't have drivers you can assume they'll just not work under Windows 7, but that might not always be a bad thing as you might not want to actually use the fingerprint scanner or the webcam. Still, you have to be through and make these decisions for yourself.

Ultimately, it's just easier to buy a laptop online from a reputable manufacturer that offers good shipping options and the OS you need. About the only thing most websites won't tell you is whether the screen is glossy or matte, and whether it's an IPS or TN display. Otherwise, the reviews will probably tell you everything you need to know about a particular model, so be sure to read those before committing to anything.

Still, you can't just buy any Windows 8 machine and just hope it works out alright, you've got to do your research. You know, unless the store has a ridiculously good return policy. :wink:

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Amazing Mr. X wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

I'm sorry, but that is not true.

Windows 7 will install on any laptop that supports Windows 8 or 8.1, yes, however there's no guarantee you'll have drivers available for your laptop that are compatible with Windows 7. It is strictly case by case, I'm afraid. Browse the stores carefully and check the manufacturer's website for any model you're interested in buying. If they offer driver downloads for Windows 7 on that model, then you're fine.

While you're technically right, I can't think of any situation where a laptop has hardware that has windows 8 drivers but not windows 7. For instance, this laptop (http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-la ... 1_245.html), which has the newest parts on the market, has both windows 7 and 8 available.
OP, the only issue you might run into is with some default BIOS settings.
Trump 2020

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Was there any changes to the driver model between Win7 And Win8? I was under the impression that Win8 and Win7 drivers can be used interchangeably.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:30 pm

vince wrote:
I know some online retailers have Windows 7 options, but I don't want to buy this online, so my current options only have Windows 8 laptops.

Stores still sell Windows 7 laptops, at least in Canada.

I agree with all of the other posters Image : a laptop sold with Windows 8 might have a device for which Windows 7 doesn't have a driver, but it's unlikely.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Just get a Windows 8 laptop, and make the following adjustments:

1) Get Start8 ($5) or Classicshell (free). Both of these will give you a traditional Start Menu.
2) Change "default programs" for all possible filetypes to traditional programs instead of the full-screen "modern" apps.

You will then be able to enjoy all of the benefits of Windows 8 without any of the negatives.

:)
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 pm

OK thanks for all your input guys. I guess it's worth trying what Prestige wrote. I just hope the rest (like settings and such) are become very similar to W7...
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:37 am

vince wrote:
OK thanks for all your input guys. I guess it's worth trying what Prestige wrote. I just hope the rest (like settings and such) are become very similar to W7...

I can vouch for startisback. I've never tried start8. You should look for comparisons between the two and see which is more to your liking.
startisback was $3 for 2 installs when I bought it last summer.
Trump 2020

CeeGee
Gerbil

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32 am

I can vouch for Classic Shell, it solved all my problems. :)

willyjwebb
Gerbil

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:15 am

as someone who installs windows 7 on new laptops for customers on a daily basis, its not really an issue. windows 8 drivers work with 7, and if an installer doesnt, you just extract and install the driver manually. if you are using amd based systems, amd has the chipset driver and video driver. the only issue i have come in to from time to time is the ethernet driver, not always easy to find. wireless drivers are simple enough, but the wired takes a bit of googling.

edit.. forgot to mention, in the bios, disable secure boot, and change from uefi to legacy, or else you wont be able to install 7
I7-860, 2x4 gig crucial ballistix ram,64 gb kingston ssdnow, 2tb wd fyps2002, ihas rev b burner, radeon 5850, rocketfish 900 watt, coolermaster elite

moog
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Win 8.1 is much more stable and faster than Win 7. The next release will have a boot to desktop option.

I wouldn't bother with start replacements. It's faster to search via Win + Q. Now that I'm used to this I'd hate to go back to the submenu in submenu start button - menu expansion is too slow.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 pm

You can still use all of the Win8 features like the one you just mentioned with Start8.

A big problem for me was when If I press left Winkey, I get a traditional Start menu, and if I press the right one, I get the Start screen. Win + Q also works. But I prefer the searching functionality that Windows 7 had.

Either way, with Start8, I have the best of both worlds.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ALIAS
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 pm

ive used both classic shell and stardock start8. They both work fine. I paid the $5 for start8 and am using it on 2 desktops and a touchscreen ultrabook. Without it, Windows 8 would drive me up the wall with that tile screen. And in honesty, I have yet to see the BSOD since ive been using Windows 8 since it came out. What people don't realize is its really the same exact thing as Windows 7 except Microsoft fixed a lot of the code which has made it much more stable and reliable. Yes they took away the start button and added that tile screen for touch screen productivity which is the first significant thing everyone sees. And that's where most all of the negativity heavily lies. But at least Microsoft is "supposed" to put back the fully functional start button in the next update in April. Microsoft should have just followed the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."
i7-4770k, ASRock Z87 Extreme6, Radeon R9 270, 16 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-2133, Creative SB Z, OCZ Vertex 460 240 GB SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Windows 10 Pro