Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

internetsandman
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

UPnP media streaming to gaming console

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Looking into buying a gaming console to serve as a home media and entertainment center, I'd wanna have as much functionality as possible within a single box, and I haven't decided which of the three current gen consoles I would want to buy, but I'm leaning towards a Wii U for those sweet Nintendo exclusives

The only problem is, I have all of my movies and music stored on a 4TB Western Digital Mybook Duo, and from the research I've done thus far, the only way a Wii U can access any of that is via the browser, in addition to extra software needing to be installed on the server, as there's no dedicated apps yet made for it that are UPnP capable as far as I can tell. I'm fairly certain both the XBone and the PS4 are much more capable in terms of networking and media than the Wii U is, even my old PS3 had no problem detecting and playing media over the local network, but as I would rather have a Wii U (and because it's a lot less expensive than the other two) I'm wondering if anyone knows about developments towards this sort of capability for the Wii U or if there's a more polished solution available than accessing it through the browser

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: UPnP media streaming to gaming console

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Isn't Wii U generations-old technology rather than current kit?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

internetsandman
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: UPnP media streaming to gaming console

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Isn't Wii U generations-old technology rather than current kit?

It's Nintendo's newest console. If you're referring to the hardware inside being under-powered compared to the other two, you're right, but I'm still partial to Nintendo over Sony or Microsoft when it comes to consoles, I just want to know more about it's media capabilities or potential