Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Would like some more details on bitcoin and mining

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:19 am

Article wrote:
A normal person is incapable of running their own wallet.

This is key.

To a point, it does not matter if the system really is "perfect." The point is that it will always be implemented by imperfect people, and this problem transcends trust in the exchangers or even bugs in the code.

Something that works perfectly, provided I do it perfectly, is still not very useful. Fastidiously managing a personal hot/cold wallet scheme to make sure that exchangers don't rob me blind means that i have to, unfailingly, do it correctly every time. I don't trust myself to do that, and trusting the average american to do that is simply ridiculous.

How many people can't remember their passwords? How many people don't backup their files? These are known problems to anyone who knows anything about tech support! Leaving aside the annoying hassle and complication of maintaining proper cold/hot wallet separation in the first place, the reality is that people would be losing their cold wallets routinely. This is obvious, because people are already routinely locking themselves out of their accounts and losing all their family photos/videos in HD crashes.

And plenty of people who know better just don't find the time or urgency to actually *DO* better. Just a couple of months I (luckily!) retrieved the contents of a HD that came from a laptop that a cat spilled water all over. It had the only videos and photos of a couple's newborn child (outside of the few they posted to Facebook). The father knew better, he works in tech support. He was sheepish about the whole thing and there was no sense in lecturing him because life just happens.

And if we think malware is bad now, what would happen if BTC actually took the world by storm? Backups and encryption cannot save you if someone has a keylogger on your system. Right now the incentives are lulz, DDoS bots, CCs, etc.. If the incentive was "steal ALL the monies!" I mean, wow. :o Scary! :cry:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 am

http://www.scribd.com/doc/210845161/SEC-vs-pirateat40-1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/210845205/SEC-vs-pirateat40-2

:o

If anything in that deposition is true, the "market" for BTC is plainly insane.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 pm

After reading those...I gotta say, I hope to never be in court just "answering a few questions"
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

drkicker
Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Glorious wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/210845161/SEC-vs-pirateat40-1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/210845205/SEC-vs-pirateat40-2

:o

If anything in that deposition is true, the "market" for BTC is plainly insane.

Holy crap. This all happened at a courthouse 5 minutes from my office. Surprisingly, there has been nothing on the local news about it that I've seen.
ASRock H77M-ITX - Intel E3-1245v2 - 8Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1060 3GB - Dell 24" IPS - OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD - Silverstone ITX case - Razer Lycosa keyboard - Corsair RGB 65 Pro mouse- Win 10 x64

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

jss21382 wrote:
After reading those...I gotta say, I hope to never be in court just "answering a few questions"

Hope they had some water for that dude.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeats wrote:
jss21382 wrote:
Hope they had some water for that dude.

Even if you're on the gov't side of the case it's a whole lot more than a "few questions". And yes, at least in the VT Federal Court in Burlington there's a water tap at the witless stand. BTDT and the couple pleaded out. Have a sentencing to see 4/14/14.

The day job has its odd perks. Sentencing hearings are one of them. She's already plead out; I just want to stare her down as she leaves court under the control of the baliff on the way to the Federal Pen. It's the only way I can get back the years she led us on a merry chase. No, there's no revenge in this job.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 am

Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto is alive and well and living in Temple City, California.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:01 pm

I kinda of doubt that's legit.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Newsweek wouldn't put it on the cover of their magazine if it weren't true, would they?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill ... ournalism/

Oops. We seem to be back to the whole "trust" issue again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

The seedy underbelly of cryptocurrency continues to gain traction in the media

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:49 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Here in the US, if your SSN or Tax ID # flows over $10,000 of cash (gross flow, adding deposits, withdrawals, exchanges, any passing of currency to/from) through a single financial institution in the same business day, said institution MUST file a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) through their on-line portal in Detroit.

I have an extremely retarded question - Does this exclude DD tax returns?
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Convert wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Here in the US, if your SSN or Tax ID # flows over $10,000 of cash (gross flow, adding deposits, withdrawals, exchanges, any passing of currency to/from) through a single financial institution in the same business day, said institution MUST file a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) through their on-line portal in Detroit.

I have an extremely retarded question - Does this exclude DD tax returns?

Yes. It applies only to currency (i.e. bills & coin).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:49 pm

And the IRS has now chimed in. In their eyes, crypto-currencies are property, not currency. IOW, you've got to pay capital gains taxes if you exchange yours at a profit (and you get to write off any losses).

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... -currency/

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 26, 2014 10:25 am

Came across this today: http://willyreport.wordpress.com/

Looks like there's some pretty good evidence that last year's Bitcoin price bubble and the collapse of Mt. Gox earlier this year were due to a coordinated, ongoing flow of fraudulent trades, either by a Mt. Gox insider/owner or someone who managed to hack into their systems and plant malware on the servers running the exchange.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 am

Cryptocurrency is unregulated.

Unregulated = corrupt. Unregulated industries are fraught with cartels, bribery, favouritism and outright crime - the scale of the corruption is usually inversely proportional to the size and age of the industry, so the smaller and newer the more likely it is to be broken in multiple ways.

I'd say that's a pessimistic cynical view but it's not an opinion it's pretty easily provable fact by just reading the news.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 pm

"willyreport.wordpress.com is no longer available. This blog has been archived or suspended for a violation of our Terms of Service."

Presumably they broke the bandwidth limit? Anyway, found a mirror via Reddit:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/226469238/The ... lly-Report
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration