Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

I also have a Zune (120GB version). Definitely a great purchase, sounds better than the iPod classic I had to buy for work (which I immediately put RockBox on). Do wish it supported OGG or FLAC properly though.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:04 am

I had a 120GB but it went flaky on me several years ago and is now quite dead.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 am

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
In fifty odd years or so, the Cap'n will be able to sell it to some techno-collector and recoup his initial investment...maybe.

Have you seen the eBay prices for Zune HDs? I'm already a few hundred to the good.

If someone would make a 128GB portable I could re-encode all my traveling music to lossless and still have some spare room. For some reason the party stopped at 64GB several years ago.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 am

Get yourself an expandable player and a 128GB microSDXC card and call it good.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Many of the older Sansa players choke once the number of tracks gets up into the thousands. This imposes a practical upper limit in the 16GB-32GB range.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Many of the older Sansa players choke once the number of tracks gets up into the thousands. This imposes a practical upper limit in the 16GB-32GB range.

Listened to Heavy Soul Sessions on the ride home roday (have to retrieve wife & MiL from airport) and at first I was beginning to wonder if I had launched a Dream Theatre album. Once past the first song, though, it settled down into recognizable Djam Karet. This album has some serious Floydian undercurrents. Next up is The Trip.

Have no idea what the underlying file system is on a Zune but I'd be shocked if it wasn't some form of an NT kernel. Have 4728 songs, another 17 GB or so of space, and no issues.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Oh, you hadn't gotten Heavy Soul Sessions yet either? Could've sworn you had that one already. Yeah, it seems to be mostly heavier versions of earlier material.

So you picked up the last 3 DKs in this batch?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Oh, you hadn't gotten Heavy Soul Sessions yet either? Could've sworn you had that one already. Yeah, it seems to be mostly heavier versions of earlier material.

So you picked up the last 3 DKs in this batch?

Yep. Was somewhat surprised when the duodenal anatomy lesson came at me once again (says someone who soon receives THAT 50th birthday present). Wasn't until then that I realized HSS was a rethink on earlier pieces.

EDIT: Duodenal anatomy lesson and music. I'm sure several young'uns are scratching their hipster beards in appreciation of the weirdness.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Sitting here in HS auditorium waiting for the Count Basie Orchestra. Daughter is in jazz band, had a master class this afternoon, and gets to play on the final 2 numbers.

EDIT: Damn, that was a show. More bop and less big band than my preference, but still excellent. Kids did themselves proud and the old family heirloom alto (Martin, circa 1927) caught some appreciative glances from the pros.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Lost a colleague today/late last night. :( She'd helped our organization through disasters from Katrina to the 2011 wildfires in Texas. She was a seriously awesome woman and an absolute rock.

edit: stroke at her desk and never woke up.

I don't want to claim closer friendship than we had--but it was a shock and we'll miss her.
Last edited by paulWTAMU on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Lost a colleague today/late last night. :( She'd helped our organization through disasters from Katrina to the 2011 wildfires in Texas. She was a seriously awesome woman and an absolute rock.

It's never easy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:38 pm

So the 16th annual Drunk Monk Challenge is history. The past week has been very hectic getting everything ready for this. Things went pretty smoothly this year, with only a couple of glitches on competition day. For a competition of this size that's almost unheard of.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:45 pm

And now I'm caught back up on this thread.

So my dad took me to this place in November, and this happened:

And then some bottling happened three weeks later. (Damn, I haven't been posting on here for a while.)

Mmm, hefeweizen. (Enjoying one right now.)

Edit: Also, holy crap, I've been signed up here over a decade? :o
Last edited by bhtooefr on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpRNjESk1v0

sorta kinda nsfw. It's a music video. I'm kinda like "wtf did I just watch?"
///_-)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:24 pm

A comment from an ESPN story on the murder trial of Oscar Pistorius (the South African guy who almost made the Olympics running on artificial legs/feet):
ESPNCommenter wrote:
"What if I told you ..."

"... that a man with no legs was armed."

ESPN 30 For 30: From Blade Runner to Blade Gunner

If you have any knowledge of the case, this post is simply perfection distilled.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 pm

If anyone wants to know what professional pilots are tossing about on the Malaysian 777 just up and vanishing, have at:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5355 ... -lost.html

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 am

Having to get up at 6AM on a Saturday morning & shave just to be thrown to the wolves is not pleasant. I will say that the meeting went a whole lot better than I feared.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs. ... /703169905

When 1/3 of your total transaction flow isn't in the books, I'm in no position to say anything about the books. Oh, and the picture is Dad.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Having to get up at 6AM on a Saturday morning & shave just to be thrown to the wolves is not pleasant. I will say that the meeting went a whole lot better than I feared.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs. ... /703169905

When 1/3 of your total transaction flow isn't in the books, I'm in no position to say anything about the books. Oh, and the picture is Dad.

Looks like the article is behind a paywall.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am

http://home.comcast.net/~captainned/RCAS.html

Pictures didn't come through (though the files were uploaded through FileZilla) but the story is now there.

Reporter dude didn't fully listen but all-in-all I can't complain over what was written. When 1/3 of your total annual funds flow (ins + outs) isn't on the books, there's no way I can have any opinion of the financials.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:20 am

Had a nightmare with my car yesterday. It had started misfiring at partial throttle and a check with an OBD-II scanner didn't show any faults or pending faults, but the live data showed the O2 sensor was a bit lazy so I replaced that on Wednesday.

Thursday I still had the misfire and it now showed cylinder 4 misfire on the OBD-II scanner. I left it parked Friday and went and got some parts. It's an 05 Subaru 2.5 RS and the plugs are down long tubes that go through the valve cover. I knew the seals on the tube for cylinder 3 was leaking so I got a complete valve cover gasket set and a set of plugs. I get the right hand side (1&3) done fine, both had been leaking a bit, but the plugs looked fine. The left hand side (2&4) was anther matter. Both were leaking and plug 2 was fine, but the first bit of bad news was when I unscrewed plug 4 and pulled out the socket. The socket came out with only the terminal from the plug and its stalk down the insulator. I used another socket that gripped on the insulator rather than the terminal and got the plug out of the tube to find the ground electrode had been melted away. I can't believe the thing only misfired sometimes, I'm seriously impressed by the power of the ignitor.

I thought this was bad enough but it was only just getting started, I try to put a new plug in number 4 but the thread is stripped. I always lubricate the threads and use a torque wrench with the reduced torque figure for lubricated threads so it must have been all the other damage that meant the threads were just done in. I got a helicoil set and did the grease on the tap with multiple cleanings trick to avoid having to pull the head so hopefully that's OK and didn't have any chips go through to the cylinder. I've got the helicoil in, new plugs, new wires and a new gasket set. I'm just waiting for the sealant on the helicoil to set before giving it a gently test this afternoon. Hopefully it's good otherwise it's going to have to go to a mechanic for at least the head off and maybe even a look at the piston.

Moral of the story is to keep an eye on those spark plug tubes regularly and replace the seals as soon as they show any leaks at all, and not wait a few months for the temperature to warm up when it is nicer to work on the car. I must have had enough oil leak to cause the lead to short in the tube, making it misfire occasionally but also heating and potentially setting fire to the oil enough to damage the plug and the plug threads when I removed it.

I had no idea it was that bad from the driving symptoms. Every other car I've had has been far more sensitive to the ignition system not being perfect. With the plug in that state I would expect it to barely if ever actually fire, but the idle was smooth and I only got the misfire after spending more than 5 minutes on the highway. Fingers crossed on my fix working...

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 am

Sounds like the ignition computer did a fantastic job of compensating for the problem, until it couldn't any more. Surprising you didn't get a trouble light sooner.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:14 am

#4 cylinder is where all bad Subaru head events occur. Prior to the equal-length headers on the '10+ LGT turbos, #4 would always be the first cylinder to fail in a long high-speed run as it had the longest header path to the the tailpipe, so it heats up the most.

I will say that changing Subie plugs on your own is far more than I'm willing to pay in busted knuckles. Those suckers are in deep and not very accessible.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm

On the NA the plugs are not too bad, RHS is just air intake hose off (two clips and 1 worm drive clip). LHS is pull the battery and washer fluid bottle (2 bolts on each plus electrical connections). I could see the turbo being way worse. I think on the NA that #2 is actually the longest run on the header, but yes, that side of the engine is way longer than the RHS.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 am

And that was an enjoyable morning visit to the endoscopy lab.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, that might have been a record for shortest lifespan for a bumper. SWMBO just got her bumper replaced a week or two ago, and today she decided to do another field test on it. Maybe I should tell her that the goal is to NOT get in an accident? OTOH, neither one was her fault so I suppose I can't blame her too much.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:46 am

I know a guy who drove his brand new car out of the dealer's lot and got T-boned at the first junction. He was fine but the car was a write-off, so he walked back down the street and said "I'll have another one of those, please"

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Cleaned my monitor today. Is this really my monitor? It SO CLEAR! :o

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:46 pm

An awesome lifehack for your Tuesday evening: If you ever want to feel popular and loved, just give away old furniture on Craigslist.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:20 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1735105

I know that exact spot. Every time I've been to Chicago for work-related training, I've ridden that exact train and come up that escalator. Damn near cleared the escalator and made the upper platform. Even so, my one cab ride on the Kennedy from O'Hare to the Loop still tells me the train is safer.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 pm

http://www.uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/03 ... eaming-up/

Cheech & Chong plus Broken Lizards (Super Troopers)? I'm there first night.