Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Ready for Titanfall

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:33 pm

So, who's getting Titanfall for PC next week? I played the beta and am psyched to get back into it. Its a shooter that I don't feel like a total noob when playing and its a lot of fun.

Anyways, post here if you are getting it on PC (or XBone, or 360) and want to team up with your fellow gerbils.

Pretty sure my Origin username is Southrncomfortjm. Add me!
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ready for Titanfall

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

EA...

Origin...

I'll have to wait to hear what people (reviewers, communities, and personalities) are saying after the release. It sounds like a whole lot of fun, but I'm not one to buy an EA game on faith alone.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

superjawes wrote:
EA...

Origin...

I'll have to wait to hear what people (reviewers, communities, and personalities) are saying after the release. It sounds like a whole lot of fun, but I'm not one to buy an EA game on faith alone.

After playing the beta, I can say the gameplay is legit. Fun and frantic, jumping through windows and running along walls. Getting in a Titan is a bit of a letdown, so I rarely got in mine, I just let it follow me. Only downer is the price - $60 for a MP only game is truely premium pricing, but I should be able to snag it for $45 by launch day.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Plan on getting it, will probably be buying it on Origin the day before unless a good deal pops up somewhere else. All the pre-orders I've seen so far either come with $10 credit or some trinket that I'm not interested in.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

After playing beta I think I will skip it. Most notably the 6v6. They "make" it seem like a larger battle but its not. And the graphics are pretty wonky. It looks pretty from far away but up close its not as detailed.....I know petty but I just expected more eye candy.

But dont let me sway anyone, I just dont think the $60 premium is worth it. Incidentally I played on PC.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:48 am

$60 for what is such a small game?

I'm not saying it's bad because I only played it for an hour on a friend's beta account but the gameplay doesn't feel particularly special, It actually feels too similar to the old Devastator QII mod I used to love.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of multiplayer FPS. I've been doing it since Doom II and the real fun was back in the days of Quake and QuakeII with the huge variety of mods to keep things fresh and interesting.

Sadly, gameplay-changing mods aren't as frequent or as good these days. Not by a long shot.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting tired of multiplayer FPS. I've been doing it since Doom II and the real fun was back in the days of Quake and Quake II with the huge variety of mods to keep things fresh and interesting.

Sadly, gameplay-changing mods aren't as frequent or as good these days. Not by a long shot.

I'm already at that point. Reached it YEARS ago in fact. Starting playing online via a local BBS back in the 'Doom' days, and quit after CoD 4. I am so burned out on FPS that I haven't even bought one since CoD4. I am still playing Company of Heroes 2 (comp stomp offline only) and finding it's a lot easier to find the time for those games instead of the 2-3+ hour marathon UT '99 CTF rounds of 'November' or 'Face' that sucked up all of my younger gaming days. It happens to all of us sooner or later.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:26 am

The beta felt pretty 'meh' to me.

As in, there's nothing bad about it, but nothing that really made it stand out as excellent.

The infantry gunplay feels a little lackluster when using ADS. The guns feel kind of crappy like in FEAR 2, almost like toys.

The player movement was good and smooth.

Overall it was smooth and polished, but smooth and polished does not a good game make.

When it comes to multiplayer, it's all about the gameplay, and I can't say I felt the level of excitement I have gotten out of other games I have played so much in the past.

Would choose to play this over modern COD, but that isn't saying much...
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ChangWang
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 am

Played the beta for a few days. If felt like...... Hawken and Call of Duty had a lovechild, and this was the result. Neither of which do anything for me, so I'll be skipping it.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am

As cool as it looks, I just can't do the Origin thing. EA has left a really bad taste in my mouth over a number of things and I just do not trust them at all.

I don't even have a problem with the price-tag. $60 might seem like a lot for a MP only game, but consider that as a MP only game, they have to support server costs for the life of the game and all the infrastructure that goes with it. They probably spent a small fortune developing it too, artists, programmers, etc. Who knows, if the game has legs perhaps I'll come around.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am

There's nothing wrong with Origin. Sure its not full featured like Steam. But meh. Every publishing house will have their own eventually, just give it time. Next up will be Zenimax.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

f0d
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:30 am

played the beta wasnt impressed

especially with the 6v6 thing which i just dont like, for me the more players the better and after having a history of only liking 64 player battlefeld games and thousands in planetside - 6v6 just feels empty

origin isnt a positive factor in it for me either - i hate it

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:37 am

Did everyone just had bitter for breakfast or what happened.

Except for the normal close range gunplay feeling lackluster, I liked some options of it, like when I got the sniper with a medium range scope(3.5x). Although I really liked the concept with high movability and mech combination, so I will probably get it at somet point, just not at launch. It has pats of what made Crysis 3 interresting, while the mech's do give you a few extra tactical options. And the 6v6 format is decent enough.

Althoough considering that the Beta actually was a beta and lacked so many of both the guns and the mechs and maps, it'll probably be decent. It gives me at least part of what I liked from the old CoD games and bits of crysis.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:52 am

Aphasia wrote:
Did everyone just had bitter for breakfast or what happened.

The resentment is because EA are pushing Titanfall so hard that it's everywhere, it's in the press, it's in our mailboxes, it's all over every gaming and tech site, it's huge, it's the best thing ever, it'll solve all the world's problems.

No.

It's just a tired genre that has been done a dozen times before and it is being rinsed, repeated and superinflated by marketing campaigns all over again.
We (the collective group of long-standing, hardcore FPS gamers) are getting bored/tired/sick of it. It's Tribes. It's Devastator. It's several UT/Quake123Arena mods, It's Planetside1&2, it's Hawken, it's BF2142 ALL OVER AGAIN. Titanfall just cherry-picks a few gameplay features from those, turns it into a 50GB install, and plasters a $60 pricetag on it.

Where's our originality? Where's the interesting NEW feature that makes this better than anything else that has come before it? It adds nothing amazing yet it's being rammed down everyone's throats and it's $60 more expensive than several of the similar F2P alternatives that have sprung up in the past.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:00 pm

That's kindof a heavy burden to lay on what always was meant to be a cookie-cutter, albeit with a twist, small arena shooter. And considering the people that are doing it, the question is, if you like artsy newfangled stuff, why are you even contemplating something like titanfall. It's like a summer blockbuster, nothing expects anything more then a decently light experience that you can go to and then later on forget. And it that regard it seems something more then the last 6 iterations of CoD.

The marketing is probably just to follow CoD's suite, because that is one thing they are doing and up until now when it rehashed up until 10th time and people are REALLY getting fed up with the same thing, it worked pretty well. Considering it's a big comapny with shareholders, they want safe returns, they will not do unproven things in the slightest, so why expect something else. I most non standard thing getting out of EA soon is probably Mirror's Edge 2, and that in itself built on a previous and as such, partly proven game.

Then when you come to originality, there is almost no such thing any more. You can have concepts, but I think we will partly be doomed to have a mostly iterative experiences. A good question though is that, how can we exepct something new coming out forever, except for like 3 games in the last decade, I have a hard time finding truly new non iterative games, and even those titles are partways iterative with only a few new concepts being original, and then only as far as a being implemented in a game is. Although if you have any such titles, I would happily welcome them, because I like original and especially artsy original stuff.

Btw, a few good things in creativity and originality...
http://blog.ted.com/2012/08/10/are-all- ... -ferguson/
http://www.ted.com/talks/kirby_ferguson ... _the_remix
http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_s ... creativity

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah, I guess you can blame the marketing department for overhyping it - that is their job after all.

This is why indie-gaming is SO DAMN GOOD; short, sweet hidden gems that leave you wanting more.

LostCat

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am

Far rather play Titanfall than most indie games I've seen in the last ten years. Hell I don't even know why I buy games anymore half the time.

I can't get it yet, but I'll be grabbing it soon. I always appreciate FPSes not set in modern day or WW2 or whatever the mass market flavor of the day is.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Savyg wrote:
I always appreciate FPSes not set in modern day or WW2 or whatever the mass market flavor of the day is.

Couldn't agree more. A fatasy world should be a little more, fantastic. I'm bored of running through wrecked buildings with a machine gun and four grenades.

LostCat

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:

I added ya but I usually end up deleting people I meet on forums after a bit. We'll see. So I won't feel particularly bad if you don't accept heh. :)
Meow.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:29 am

Savyg wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

I added ya but I usually end up deleting people I meet on forums after a bit. We'll see. So I won't feel particularly bad if you don't accept heh. :)

I'll accept when I get on again next time.

But yeah, as someone else implied earlier, there is a lot of angst and hate in this thread. You all know how to kill enthusiasm, or how to try to anyway. This definitely wasn't a thread I opened to get everyone to toss in their 2 cents about how tired FPS games are and how stupid you think the format is. It was a thread to get names of people interested in playing, rather than complaining. So, if you want to bash Titanfall, please make a "Titanfail" thread (since that phrase didn't get stale instantly) and bash away. If you actually played the game, stopped listening to other people bashing it and gave it a chance, you'd find it does refresh the genre a bit and just about any aspect you bash does have a positive side.

Would be great if a mod could actually split off the bashing posts into another thread. Thanks.

LostCat

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Would be great if a mod could actually split off the bashing posts into another thread. Thanks.

Hahaha would be awesome if they did that on every forum! It's annoying when you want to talk about a game and that's the one thing nobody is actually doing.

If I get some bday moneys I'll be grabbing it in a few days, sounds better than I'd hoped on all fronts.
Meow.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 pm

So far enjoying the full game. I had initially stayed away from the Smart Pistol, but when I got two perma-cloak burn cards I figured that would be a good time to try it out. I had 72 minion kills for that match. O_o (It was Attrition, so it was definitely contributing). I didn't sleep on the night the game was released :P. The brief outage was annoying, but in retrospect the fact that the issues basically were confined to ONE HOUR is pretty damn good considering many multiplayer games collapse for days at launch

They clearly made a design decision to keep "teams" together between matches and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's early days but voice comm. doesn't get used for much other than feral harassment, and players don't generally form a cohesive group. As a result, if you get a team of skilled players on one side but not the other, they will continually dominate the other side until the other players get fed up and leave.

Misc:
-The Stryder with the rocket launcher is so comically out of proportion it instantly made me think of that skeleton thing from Quake 3
-The jumping mechanics will feel very familiar to anyone who put a lot of time into Unreal Tournament
-The whole "online" campaign thing feels kinda weak to me, it's just a thin veneer on top of regular multiplayer. I had thought it was going to be much more structured than it is. There are special events in the campaign, but since the game is moving at regular multiplayer pace, you don't really have the time to pay much attention to them. I didn't even realize the massive railgun things on one map actually fired until the second or third time I played the map through
-Most weapons are very satisfying to use
-A lot of players seem to struggle with the escape phase of the match, players that otherwise seemed to do very well. I don't really understand what's up with this- maybe it's that usually it requires a bit of double jumping to get to the ship?

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
So far enjoying the full game. I had initially stayed away from the Smart Pistol, but when I got two perma-cloak burn cards I figured that would be a good time to try it out. I had 72 minion kills for that match. O_o (It was Attrition, so it was definitely contributing). I didn't sleep on the night the game was released :P. The brief outage was annoying, but in retrospect the fact that the issues basically were confined to ONE HOUR is pretty damn good considering many multiplayer games collapse for days at launch

They clearly made a design decision to keep "teams" together between matches and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's early days but voice comm. doesn't get used for much other than feral harassment, and players don't generally form a cohesive group. As a result, if you get a team of skilled players on one side but not the other, they will continually dominate the other side until the other players get fed up and leave.

Misc:
1-The Stryder with the rocket launcher is so comically out of proportion it instantly made me think of that skeleton thing from Quake 3
2-The jumping mechanics will feel very familiar to anyone who put a lot of time into Unreal Tournament
3-The whole "online" campaign thing feels kinda weak to me, it's just a thin veneer on top of regular multiplayer. I had thought it was going to be much more structured than it is. There are special events in the campaign, but since the game is moving at regular multiplayer pace, you don't really have the time to pay much attention to them. I didn't even realize the massive railgun things on one map actually fired until the second or third time I played the map through
4-Most weapons are very satisfying to use
5-A lot of players seem to struggle with the escape phase of the match, players that otherwise seemed to do very well. I don't really understand what's up with this- maybe it's that usually it requires a bit of double jumping to get to the ship?

Shoot me your Origin name here or in a PM and we can get in some matches.

Didn’t play the first night since I had to be at work by 0630, but I heard about the issues. Guess the beta worked for the most part. Anyone expecting to have a glitch free experience at midnight was dreaming and has not seen an MP game launch, ever.

Never tried the smart pistol. I figure it’s really good for farming minions or node defense if you find a nice spot to wall hang from.

I haven’t quite figured out how to use voice chat yet since my external sound card always seems to mess with that, but I know some good teamspeak servers we can use instead.

I agree about the teams thing – they really should mix them up after an unbalances match and keep them together if the match was competitive. Also, they should probably match groups of 3+ against each other to keep premade groups from rolling pugs (now I feel like I’m talking about SWTOR). If I get in a really unbalanced match, I just leave the lobby after the match is over and roll again.

I numbered your other points for easier response:

1 – Haven’t seen it, but now I think I have to.
2 – I did back in the day, but I don’t remember it that well. I do remember it being a solid game tho. Would be nice if they added the Attack and Defend (or was it Assault?) game mode to Titanfall. Now that would be sweet.
3 – It is. There were about 4 total moments when the “story” piqued my interest. In the end, it was just 2 sets of 9 matches on the same maps, using the same gametypes you will see in the normal game, so no real harm done. It’s not a negative, it’s just not a positive. Plus, its done in about 3 hours total.
4 – Yes. The shotgun just sounds like it hurts, though I prefer the SMG the most so far. Most satisfying Titan weapon is the 40mm gun. It has a really satisfying sound.
5 – The epilogue requires you to navigate to a specific point. I think the best part about the parkour is that you just run and turn and normally end up somewhere useful. On the city map that was in the beta, I always had a tough time getting up to the escape that was in the top right corner. Need to spend more time with it over the next few days.

And to add my own – I’m really enjoying the titans a lot more now than in the beta. Don’t know why really. In the beta I rarely got in my titan and spent most of my time just putting it in follow mode. It definitely feels like a better game when you switch almost seamlessly between pilot and titan.

Only other thing I hope they add soon are custom matches. Would be nice to be able to learn map routes and such without getting shot or looking like a noob when you fail to wall run in the same place 4 times.
Last edited by southrncomfortjm on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Savyg wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

Hahaha would be awesome if they did that on every forum! It's annoying when you want to talk about a game and that's the one thing nobody is actually doing.

If I get some bday moneys I'll be grabbing it in a few days, sounds better than I'd hoped on all fronts.

The way I see it, Titanfall really distills the FPS experience down to the basics, but then adds parkour and mechs. Its familiar, but novel at the same time.

Definitely get the money together and join me (and hopefully others from TR) in game!

LostCat

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 pm

I haven't really had a lot of fun with multiplayer gaming lately. This really hits the spot =)

Was trying to play last night and my comp kept going down...until I switched the PSU with the one in my old currently-out-of-service system :x

THAT EXPLAINS A LOT rar.

So I've only gotten a few complete rounds in so far but I am definitely loving it.
Meow.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
... turns it into a 50GB install, and plasters a $60 pricetag on it. ...

$60/50GB = $1.20/GB...

SSD prices are beating that now :wink:
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

LostCat

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
The way I see it, Titanfall really distills the FPS experience down to the basics, but then adds parkour and mechs. Its familiar, but novel at the same time.

I have yet to get to a dropship alive :lol: Least the team balancing seemed much more impressive just now than last night.

Am I the only one who can't figure out how to switch loadouts? Hmmm...guess that's what bing is for.
Meow.

LostCat

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:32 am

Aha! Now I feel smarter. or stupider. One of those.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:47 am

Some things are not so obvioys, like for some reason, I had to ask how the darn ejection work, that is, for manual nuclear, press iniation button, then hammer the ejection/exit button. Wish that would've been in the tutorial at least. That said, ninja wallhanging cloaked on a point lying in wait for unsuspecting pilots it's awesome.

LostCat

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Wow I love this game. I enjoyed BF4 at first but just stopped caring. This I can see I'm gonna be playing for a long time. =)
Meow.